New
Find
Notify
Tools

percision shooting magazine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It had a article about a center match in which a shooter was using a Dillion square deal loader that was set up for 223. Being in the top 10 shooters folks wanted to see what he was reloading with, they had a hard time believing what he was using. Dillion says they never set up a square deal to load 223, but this person indicated that it was factory. Does anybody have that article, or know where I could find a copy of the article??? Thank you ahead of time for looking

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sure it was a Dillon press? My RCBS Piggyback 2 will reload 223 (the Piggyback is a progressive press that attaches to a Rockchucker).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 90's at a National Benchrest match in Phoenix there was a Dillion rep. shooting in the match and he used a Dillion progressive loader to prove it could be done. Don't remember the cartridge he loaded but I think it was a PPC. As I remember he didn't do all that well. I think it was in '90 or '91.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PERCISION? really?
I seem to remember them doing 223s on that small Dillon too but I don't like Dillon presses so I quickly forgot it. Dillons have too many ergonomic design flaws in them.

Posts: 17156 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall an article by John Feamster in Precision Shooting wherein he described his adventures at a benchrest match with an AR-15. Using ammo loaded on a Dillon, he shot what they referred to as an "Official Screamer" group. I don't recall the particular model Dillon.

He knew the next group could very well be minute-of-deer.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load 223's on my 550B Dillon and all of the parts/dies are Dillon. I load mostly plinking rounds on it and my hunting loads on one of my RCBS presses. I don't have a "match" AR but I have shot some groups in the .2"-.3" range with loads from the Dillon.

Posts: 887 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the gentlemans' name was Darryl something, and he worked for Dillon. He loaded on the tailgate of his P/U. He shot several screamers at Phoenix, and at the SS with a 6PPC.

I have 2 550B's because I am too lazy to switch between large and small primers. The LP stays in 308Win, and the small goes from 223 to 300 BLK and back again as the empty coffee cans suggest.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich-I thought about doing the same thing but I don't have bench space right now to set the second one up. Yet

Posts: 887 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have no stake in it at all but if you tried a Hornady progressive, you would never go back to a Dillon. I have used both.

Posts: 17156 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,

if you go to the cast bullets forum, Pat somebody makes an aluminum square U-shaped bracket that mounts to the bench securely. It is slotted on the three insides Then you buy his plates, already drilled and ready for the various presses.

Just slide the plate with the press mounted in and lock it down. All hardware supplied, along with pictures and detailed instructions.

Rich

PS: The issue is not the two 550Bs, it's the six SDB's I have set up.

As far as Dillon VS the world, I love both Dillon models I have, the oldest one is fourteen years old now with zero issues on any to date. Love that lifetime "No BS" warranty.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the gentlemans' name was Darryl something, and he worked for Dillon. He loaded on the tailgate of his P/U. He shot several screamers at Phoenix, and at the SS with a 6PPC."Quote"

ISS- I believe you're right but he didn't shoot any screamers at that nationals. I shot the smallest group of the matches and it was a .106" Even TB was without a screamer. Tough conditions. First day there was 8" of bullet drift at 200 yards!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote