New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case lube???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greasy stuff. What do you guys use and how do you clean it off?

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Ricochet>
posted
I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Did use the Hornady One-Shot just don't like it compared to the Imperial. Cleans right off with a soft rag.

<.>
posted
I use the RCBS goop in the bottle. Neck sizing is the way to solve the mess problems.

I keep a towel in my lap when sizing. Most of the time I just resign myself to having goop on all the gear.

It's water soluable. When I'm done sizing brass, I just rinse it all in hot, soapy water. This also gets out powder residue inside the case and loosens the crud in the primer pocket.

I air dry or if in a hurry I toss the brass on a cookie sheet -- for brass, not the one we use for cookies -- and bake in the oven at about 250 F for twenty minutes. Caution! That baking stuff makes brass really hot!

<Bill>
posted
I like that RCBS stuff in a bottle

To get it off I just tumble the brass in media.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

<pistoleero>
posted
I use the RCBS stuff also, in the RCBS lube/decapping die. It's WAY faster than manually lubing. You really don't need to use that much, just enough to see a light coat on the case neck before resizing.

Then after I resize, I wipe down the outside with a cloth, and take an obsorbant brush to the inside neck. If I'm lazy, I'll toss a batch into the tumbler w/ corncob media and it turns out perfect.

Hope this helps!

<Daryl Elder>
posted
I like and use the Lee sizing lube. It's waxy, not greasy, and apparently won't contaminate primers or powder. It can even be diluted with water for economy.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Imperial sizing die wax.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used stuff from Midway, hornady, RCBS, etc. The best I have found to date is Imperial Sizing Wax. A little goes a loooong way and it is easy to cleanup.

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf .

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Santa Claus>
posted
Imperial.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

We use Hornady's UNIQUE case lube for re-sizing, and RCBS lube for case forming.

We clean them off by laying the cases on tissue paper and spray them with any degreaser.

Works great.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I had a case of expensive synthetic aviation oil that was recalled because it wasn't compatable with the lead in avgas. The manufacturer just wanted the sales receipt and the UPC code from the box, sent me a check, and instructed me to properly "dispose" of the oil. I'm still working on "disposing" of my first quart by running it through sizing dies (the other quarts went into old fashioned squirt-type oil cans for use on the farm). Makes good lubricant, but like any oil is messy. So I just throw the resized cases in a tumbler full of corn cob media for a few hours, which beats the devil out of manually wiping the crud off.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the spray lubes, and like Saeed I then use Brake Cleaner spray to clean them off, takes just a few seconds to do that way.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote