New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 special and H110
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anyone has used H110 to reload for 44 special. The only pistol caliber I reload for is 44mag, only pistol powder on hand is H110. I am planning to start loading 44 special . I know it certainly isn't optimum but can H110 be used or should I get another powder? Any suggestions? The bullet will be a 240gn XTP. Thanks.

Posts: 166 | Location: NY | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It can be used but there are better choices for 44 Special velocities. H110 is (1) harder to light and (2) requires heavier charge weights than some of the faster powders that are optimal for that cartridge.

(1) is sort of acedemic as it will still go "bang"; but you may have erratice velocities with charges that approximate traditional Special velocities.

(2) simply means you'll get more shots per pound and somewhat likely you'll find better accuracy.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that H110 is very sensitive to under loading if you can't find a 44special load for it I would not load it.

Posts: 19606 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend not using H110 in the 44mag for less than maximum effort loads

For 44Spl even a faster burning propellant like Bluedot is too slow, Think powders that work WELL in a 38special

Say for example... Unique

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
H110 is designed to work at much higher pressures then the 44 spcl. The burning would be erratic at best. There are a lot of better choices.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
AA #9 is a better choice for hotter loads as is good old 2400. For standard loads, Unique has never failed me.

H110 is not a good powder to be using at less than maximum loadings. Here is Hodgdon's warning:

Reduce H110 and Winchester 296 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 and Winchester 296 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders. DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
When experimenting with H-110 in thr 38 specisl and .357 Mag I successfully stuck cast bullets in the barrel. You run the same risk with the 44 special until you reach 44 Mag loads. thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon HS6 or Win. 231 are both good all round pistol powders. H110 is a "magnum" powder designed specifically for 44 magnum, and magnum loads.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornFYI! H-110 works great in a 38 special rifle. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
Hodgdon HS6 or Win. 231 are both good all round pistol powders. H110 is a "magnum" powder designed specifically for 44 magnum, and magnum loads.

+1 on the WW 231

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will go buy another powder for the 44 special like Unique. H110 is out of the running. Thanks all for helping me stay safe.

Posts: 166 | Location: NY | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
think of it this way ..
to make h110 or win296 "work" you will use less powder in a 44 special .. but the same pressure.

make sense?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39689 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedI'm so confused bewilderedroger

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how many pounds of Unique I've burned over the years. I used 7.5 grs in the Special case under the Lyman 429421 Keith cast boolit. In the magnum case 8.5 grs gave about the same velocity. Around 900-1000 fps in my SBH. Shoots good in the Marlin too.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss does well in the .44 Sp. I use 7.3 grains under a 210 grain cast bullet in my converted Ruger BH. It fills the case to the base of the bullet and generates about 900 FPS.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote