THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why is Homeland Security buying 1.6 billion rounds+ of ammo?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is Homeland Security buying 1.6 billion rounds+ of ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Homeland security recently ordered 1.6 billion rounds of ammo.

Why is there such a huge non-military federal ammo purchase program?

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Just because Homeland Security ordered enough ammo to fight the Iraq was for 5 years does not mean a thing. shocker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I thought I was sent a link saying that was bogus.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, anything to do with holder or obama, something stinks.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nugman:

Am I nuts, or do you think that the feds are using our tax money to dry up supply of ammunition for purchase-essentially doing a back door gun control act?

I would go with you are nutsSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I nuts, or do you think that the feds are using our tax money to dry up supply of ammunition for purchase-essentially doing a back door gun control act?

If that is the case open another ammo plant and plan on full production and lots of profit.
In the meantime the Russians, Serbs, Italians, Spanish, Italians, Brazilians and Mexicans will be happy to sell ammo here until Uncle Sam Obama goes broke.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I thought I was sent a link saying that was bogus.

Google it and make you own decisions. Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the meantime the Russians, Serbs, Italians, Spanish, Italians, Brazilians and Mexicans will be happy to sell ammo here until Uncle Sam Obama goes broke.

When is the next shipment due from these guys?
It has been a little short in supply too.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Here you go:

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ing-so-many-bullets/

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you follow the training requirement I was accustomed to you would require at least 2000 rounds per leo per year, roughly10, 000 per person over a 5 year period. Now in Chicago they have 13,000 Leo plus 4000 sheriffs 1000 feds and 1000 state you have approximately 20K officers doing the math you would have 200 million rounds for just one city area, those numbers do not surprise me.
Homeland security not only has to supply their own people they also control the largest law enforcement training center in the country if not the world which would go through that much ammo in a few months The federal law enforcement training center in Glynco Georgia previously run by the Treasury department
Don't get your panties in a twist, imagine what the defense department goes through

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
If you follow the training requirement I was accustomed to you would require at least 2000 rounds per leo per year, roughly10, 000 per person over a 5 year period. Now in Chicago they have 13,000 Leo plus 4000 sheriffs 1000 feds and 1000 state you have approximately 20K officers doing the math you would have 200 million rounds for just one city area, those numbers do not surprise me.
Homeland security not only has to supply their own people they also control the largest law enforcement training center in the country if not the world which would go through that much ammo in a few months The federal law enforcement training center in Glynco Georgia previously run by the Treasury department
Don't get your panties in a twist, imagine what the defense department goes through

I have seen the statistics of the ammo expended by the 1st Marine division in the battle of Peleliu. They were no where near a billion rounds counting of all calibers from .30 carbine to 8" cruiser. And they killed 11,000 Japanese.

So do the police steal the ammo?
They obviously don't practice or the practice does little good be cause they normally never hit anything more than 30 feet away.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would they need to steal, all they need to ask for practice ammo. When I ran the program they could get all they wanted, not everyone took advantage but quite a few did. One lawsuit for negligent use of a firearm is worth a train load of ammo and to protect yourself you need to show you maintain an active training program to maintain the skills necessary to prevent unnecessary danger to the public.
When we received our ammo shipment we would need to store in different places due to the weight per square foot that the floors could handle

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If the size of that ammo purchase is not uncommon, why have we never seen it before? Don't say that it has and we were not paying attention.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by nugman:

I would go with you are nutsSmiler

Or worse!... Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
When I shoot for fun or target practice with my 45 ACP I use ball ammo. For carry and shooting critters. it's 230 gr hollow point.

Ditto with my 10mm, off the shelf for fun; HOT double tape and buffalo bore for the real stuff.

I think they could have saved $$$ buying ball or wadcutters.

Just sayin....

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
If the size of that ammo purchase is not uncommon, why have we never seen it before? Don't say that it has and we were not paying attention.

Because we didn't have and live in the police state we now have and live in.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was Social security that bought 174,000
rounds. They have 300 armed personnel. works out
to less than 600 rounds/man.
You should check this BS before you pass it on.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I for one, will be glad to see ammo prices return to cose to the $318.00 I paid for a thousand rounds of 223 in December. Best I can find now is 800+.

I'm actually trying to determine if the "gougers" are as bad as the guys who started this craziness!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
its just like gasoline... they got us used to paying $4/gal... now we'd love to see $3..... conspiracy??.... when did you ever see the same gas price at all the gas stations, regardless of whether it was major or not??....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I think they could have saved $$$ buying ball or wadcutters.

Just sayin....[/QUOTE]

When I ran we initially used 38spl and 357Mag for which practice ammo was wad-cutter. Then the lawsuits started about lead pollution which precluded the use of lead bullets. The fed always used factory produced ammo for liability, quality control, gun manufacturers demanded it and a trusted supply.
We where then forced to go to jacketed bullets.

With the change over to semi autos jacketed bullets became the norm anyway

When we did use wad-cutters we where still required to qualify and shoot certain courses with what issued or certified for street use ammo. Imagine training in low light with wad cutter thenj have to deal with +p+ at night, there goes your night vision.

Law enforcement is an expensive business, cars with all the goodies are almost double what you would pay for a personal car. Anyhow as a responsible JOHN Q public I would think you would demand that your LEO's are trained to the best that they can be, I accept that certain people I would not want to be with in a shoot out but that is a management problem that they need to deal with if something goes wrong.
When a lawsuit starts it names everyone from the guy who pulled the trigger up the chain of command all the way to Washington DC to attach liability for something they either did or failed to do. Get use to it guys this is the way society has gone, now think about the issue with CCW incident, there is no daisy chain to split the law suit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
Why would they need to steal, all they need to ask for practice ammo. When I ran the program they could get all they wanted, not everyone took advantage but quite a few did. One lawsuit for negligent use of a firearm is worth a train load of ammo and to protect yourself you need to show you maintain an active training program to maintain the skills necessary to prevent unnecessary danger to the public.
When we received our ammo shipment we would need to store in different places due to the weight per square foot that the floors could handle

The bubbas in blue can steal and resell the stuff just like anyone else.
And no matter what you say about liability - most can't hit anything. Most of the liability issue is related to people in the chain of command trying to keep their jobs rather than any concern about excellence of performance.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
According to the guy that works sporting goods at my local wal-mart.
Theres only one thing wrong with the ammo supply. Its called hoarding.
He got a bunch of .223 ammo last Teusday. It only lasted 2.5 hours. First guy that bought some was one the phone telling someone they had better run up hear and get it before it got gone.

According to him, same story every week. They even had to start having two clerks bring it out because people were grabbing it of off the pallett before he could put it on the shelf.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Lot of crap going around via email. I have found the liberals don't own exaggeration, it lives on both sides of the isle.

Do your own research, make your own educated decision. I did. What I found was that this is basically true.

Other things I found along the way scared me more than this! Specifically, you might want to look at "his" exec order in March of last year. "Disaster Preparedness ... something, something" you can google it.

I read it. Yes, it's dry as hell, but skim through it and use just a tiny bit of imagination.

Absolutely frightening. All he needs now is a disaster.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Absolutely frightening. All he needs now is a disaster.

He IS the disaster !!!

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a government preaches gun control and then orders a billion rounds of ammunition for internal security, it should make any thinking man pause for reflection.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homeland does not answer questions from Congress on ammo buy

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And now LE is having trouble getting ammo:

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ge-as-dhs-stocks-up/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Interesting video from Fox News

http://video.foxnews.com/v/224...id=NL_FNTopHeadlines

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no "massive government buy".

Take a moment and call the NRA's ILA and get the truth rather than Internet chicken littles paranoid rantings.

The poster who said it is hysteria driven hoarding is correct. We see the same thing here at Winn Dixie every time the Weather Service mentions the word "Hurricane".

posted Hide Post
So why are all the vendors who sell ammo and reloading supplies "out of stock"

Posts: 17 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kit, stop guessing and call ILA ...... you are a NRA member right ?

They are out of stock because the minute it appears it is snapped up and hoarded.

I remember in 08' some guy bragging about buying 50,000 Lg Rifle primers. Fast forward, same story.

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
So much this:

quote:

There's also the notion that the gov't is buying up .22 LR ammo. WTF??? .22 LR???
Guess all that ammo is being stored in the same place they're holding that mythical alien from the 1947 Roswell "UFO crash." rotflmo

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the BBC world news,the CIA are operating in the Syrian Civil war.
You dont suppose some of your (unaccounted for) ammo could be finding its way there.jc sofa

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no "unaccounted for ammo".

None of the "experts" with paranoid ideas have provided ANY data on the total annual production from those who actually produce ammunition of the type that is in short supply.

Funny how I have no problem buying all kinds of ammo that is not being snatched up and hoarded by those who see black helicopters blocking out the sun.

Does anyone remember the lines at gas stations of the 70s ? Another commodity in which a crisis was manufactured by hysteria fueled by the media. At that time I drove 50 miles roundtrip to work and never missed a day of work due to lack of gasoline.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
What I found reassuring is Winchester's Annual Report which we stockholders received during the past week.

Winchester says that their unfilled orders went from something like $60,000,000 on January 31, 2012 to something like $300,000,000+ on January 31, 2013. They noted that 7% of that was military orders, less than 7% was all other government orders combined, and the remaining 86%+ was greatly increased civilian orders.

They also noted that they have the facilities now on line or being brought on line to fill all those orders by the end of 2013.

Tells me this is probably a "panic" bubble rather than a government "plot".

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
What I found reassuring is Winchester's Annual Report which we stockholders received during the past week.

Winchester says that their unfilled orders went from something like $60,000,000 on January 31, 2012 to something like $300,000,000+ on January 31, 2013. They noted that 7% of that was military orders, less than 7% was all other government orders combined, and the remaining 86%+ was greatly increased civilian orders.

They also noted that they have the facilities now on line or being brought on line to fill all those orders by the end of 2013.

Tells me this is probably a "panic" bubble rather than a government "plot".

patriot
Keep on posting when you can A.C. I sure do miss you!

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever known a LEO that fired 2000 rounds per year. Maybe 20..... I'm just saying.. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not for use overseas as it is hollow point ammo. The FBI, NSC, CIA all must change out to FMJ to be in line with UN overseas contingency operations. The hollow points are for use on the locals.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
So much this:

quote:

There's also the notion that the gov't is buying up .22 LR ammo. WTF??? .22 LR???
Guess all that ammo is being stored in the same place they're holding that mythical alien from the 1947 Roswell "UFO crash." rotflmo

No sir, they let me go!

I think they're scared of US and for good reason.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
We fire 60 rounds per year and are "qualified". It is all hollow point and very few of us are allowed the Glock. Most of us are never outside the wire.