Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Triple X ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
I bought some Barnes Triple X bullets for my 7mm Rem Mag & was told that I need to seat them deeper than the Sierra's I've been reloading. Has anyone heard this, if so much deeper?

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
Barnes recommends starting 0.050" to 0.070" off the lands for best accuracy. Sometimes this is not possible with your magazine configuration. The one thing I've had troubles with using tsx on smaller calibers is not enough neck tension unless the bullet was seated to the last groove and crimped. I hav not noticed a big difference in accuracy with various seating depths.

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start with .05 off the lands and some off the shelf loads, and I think you'll find something good to start with, or live with pretty easily.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's not that you need to seat them deeper it's that you need to seat them .050" off the lands to start. That may or may not be deeper than what you already seat. I hit my best accuarcy at .060" off the lands of my 700 25-06. I can put 3 touching. Did I add that was ME shooting? I did have to use the LFCD do get them to stay seated. Same with the 30-06 for me. According to Barnes I was the only human having these problems.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I appricate your help, if I use my current dies seating depth one of the bands around the barnes bullet is right where it needs to seat, so the bullet is lose. I guess I need to try some of the LFCD? What is LFCD?

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Factory Crimp Die. It's got a collet like the Lee collet sizer.

FYI, Barnes TSX are all copper bullets that use their own load recipes. Not guilding metal cup and lead core like the Sierras.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
That's a good point. Make sure you use Barnes data. Right now, you need to use X bullet data and work up in .5 incremenets up 2 grains over the X bullet loads according to Barnes. DO NOT use the XLC data. The theory is you will get XLC velocities with the TSXs and it does seem to be true for me at least. And I use less powder than the XLCs.

Ok, so what I would do (actually what I did) is to seat deeper and hit the next ring to crimp to. It bothered me a lot so I think I'm going back to XLCs in 30 cal. The 25s seem to line up better and I was .060 off the lands instead of .080 like on my 30-06. Either way, they shot very well. I'm not much of a rifleman and, after a fouling shot, I could put 3 rounds touching at 100 yards in under a minute.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read the Barnes TSX FAQs, it's got pretty much whatcha need to know.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/faq_triple.php

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
I appricate your help, if I use my current dies seating depth one of the bands around the barnes bullet is right where it needs to seat, so the bullet is lose. I guess I need to try some of the LFCD? What is LFCD?

You need to have at least one diameter measurement inserted into the case.

Please recheck your distance to lands - the Barnes ogive will be different than the previous bullet you had your die set up for.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote