Find
Notify
Tools

case tumblers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey everyone - Great forum!

I have never owned a case tumbler, and as a result I have a bunch of really dirty/stained brass. Is there anything I need to know before I buy one? If I tumble sized/trimmed cases, do you have to do anything to the cases before you load them other than dump the media out and wipe them down? Is there a downside to cleaning your cases? What kind of media is best? I've seen walnut and a couple of other kinds. Any guidance anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

And a last question: Has anyone ordered stuff from www.scharch.com? Its a colorado company, apparently. They sell plastic slip top ammo boxes for about 92 cents each. They also sell brass for what seems like very reasonable prices, along with tumbler media and other stuff. Thinking about ordering some stuff, and wondered if anyone had done any business with them.

Thanks!

jeff

Posts: 181 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raven045:
Hey everyone - Great forum!

I have never owned a case tumbler, and as a result I have a bunch of really dirty/stained brass. Is there anything I need to know before I buy one? If I tumble sized/trimmed cases, do you have to do anything to the cases before you load them other than dump the media out and wipe them down? Is there a downside to cleaning your cases? What kind of media is best? I've seen walnut and a couple of other kinds. Any guidance anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

And a last question: Has anyone ordered stuff from www.scharch.com? Its a colorado company, apparently. They sell plastic slip top ammo boxes for about 92 cents each. They also sell brass for what seems like very reasonable prices, along with tumbler media and other stuff. Thinking about ordering some stuff, and wondered if anyone had done any business with them.

Thanks!

jeff

I use the Dillon vibration cleaner and it works well for me...I use corn cob media with added brass cleaner that I got from Midway USA....I haven't ordered from that company you mention....as for cleaning cases...I do it differently than you suggest...I clean brass BEFORE sizing...that way I can inspect it clean and see any problems and it makes the dies last longer without scratches on the brass..after cleaning I wipe the case as part of the inspection and check for caught media and clear flashhole after sizing I check for growth in trim length and wipe the sizing lube from the case.....I use holder/inspection blocks from Sinclair Intl. for batchs of brass.....for pistol brass I haven't heard of any downside to cleaning...some say/think too much cleaning by tumbling will "work harden" the brass the same as shooting/resizing cycles.....I don't tumble my brass for my bolt guns and only for the auto's if they get really gunky....I hand wipe and spin my bolt and precision loaded ammo.....good luck and good shooting with nice shinny cases.....!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Raven045,
Scharch is based out of Salida, CO and owned by Dan Scharch. My Uncle was the sales manager at Scharch up until about 3 years ago. Their main retail business is component sales, mainly brass. Most of that is processed militay brass done on a machine of proprietary design. They also sell new brass, range brass, semi-processed and unprocessed military brass. As you said they also sell plastic ammo trays and boxes. I must have a trash bag full of the trays. They are the cat's ass for storing loaded ammo. I just received their 2002 catalog a few days ago and they have started producing their own line of brass unnder the name of TopBrass in .44 mag and .45 Colt. Their main business is the production of their Rangemaster brass processing and commercial ammunition loading machines. I believe that Black Hills Ammo. and Cor-Bon both use this equipment. I have seen the brass processing machines in action and it is something to behold. Imagine being able to completely prep a couple hundred cases in 1 minute!

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
I use a Lyman tumbler. I also got Lyman's Moly coating setup, with 2 smaller bowls for coating & cleaning bullets.
I use ground walnut shells. They clean up the cases faster than corn cob media. The corn cob media gives a higher gloss than the walnut, though. If I want more shine, I use fine steel wool.
I tumble the cases before I deprime and size them. It makes inspection easier, and you don't get the media stuck in the primer pockets.
Avoid treated media, because you'll be blasting the treatment chemicals down your bore, unless you want to wash out the brass too.
Regards, George.

<Kerry.S>
posted
I use the dillon small case tumbler and midway media. I use walnut for roughing and corn cob for finishing. I use dillon case cleaner, a good brass polish one cap full per batch of brass in both the walnut and corn cob. there is realy no secret to it just make sure you get all the media out of the case, It seems to collect in the flash holes sometimes. and when it starts taking longer to get the same polish it's time for new media. I usally get about 5000-10000 cases polished before I need new media.
oh ya dillon has great costomer service although in the ten years I've owned my dillon equipment I have never needed to call them for any reason and my tumbler has about 20000 cases through it along with my 550B.
Kerry

------------------
If you can't hunt, fish. If you can't fish, Hunt

[This message has been edited by Kerry.S (edited 01-05-2002).]

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Raven

If you do a search here, a while back there were some recipes from guys who don't use tumblers at all, seems to me they used a mixture of something like lemon juice and dish soap. So don't let not having a tumbler hold you back right now.

I use a RCBS Sidewinder tumbler, which has polished zillions of shells over the last 18 years. They are pretty pricey though compared to the vibratory ones and I think they work about the same,but don't have a vibratory one yet so can't really compare just yet.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<I Need Guns>
posted
this is what Mark was talking about:

I am quoteing 243winxb

"Try this, i got it from the nra. Mix in plastic container. 1 pint water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1 tbl. spoon salt, 1 tea spoon detergent (wisk). shake add brass, shake 5 min. rinse and dry. DO NOT LET BRASS SOAK, THIS MIX WILL EAT AND WEAKEN THE BRASS.I for got and left a container sit for 24 hrs, brass looked ok but when fired, necks seperated at the shoulder on some rounds."

<I Need Guns>
posted

[This message has been edited by I Need Guns (edited 01-05-2002).]

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I use one of the Tumbler's Tumbler, which is essentially a rock tumbler, and use cascade dish detergent and hot water, tumble one hour and drain, rinse and tumble an additional hour in hot water and drain, tumble an additional hour in hot water, drain and let air dry for 3 days, or place in 200 degree over for two hours. If the cases are tarnished I add a tablespoon of white vinager to the second wash.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<I Need Guns>
posted
I tyred the cleaning solution today. I made a small about of it, with aproximit perportions. It made the brass shine rilly bright in some spots and not at all in other spots. I don't think that it works vary good compared to a tumbler. I shoud say that I just poored the stuff in a bottle with out doing any meashering, wich may have changed my results.