New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass advvice for 300 win mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just purchased a 300 win mag. Will anyone share experience with what brands of brass worked well and what brands did not? thanks.

Posts: 126 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Opinions are like "noses", everyone has one. Mine is that I have found of all the domestically produced brass, I like Winchester the best. Do I use others? Certainly! But, I still prefer Winchester. Do I believe that Lapua, Norma and RWS are better? Yes! But, not for the price. If foreign brass is the only way to get what you need, buy it. I prefer Winchester!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a note,unless your bench rest shooting,there is not that much advantage in the more e xpensive brass IMHO> Winchester,Rem,and Federal all is good brass.but be careful when you reload,and don,t mix up your brass if you have more than one kind. As different brass has different volumes to it and even if your using the same amount of powder,you will get different results,due to this.So, reload the same brass,and don,t mix them. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still await delivery of my .300 rifle, (on order since December 05 for delivery end of Feb 06!!!!)

Here in the U. K brass is available from amongst others Lapua and Winchester.

Lapua brass is of extremely high quality and can be loaded straight from the box. Often the Winchester arrives here in plastic bags and as a result the case mouths are often out of round, some even "D" shaped. that said a quick passs through the sizer die rectifies this.

Other than that I can buy exactly 400 W-W cases for the price of 100 Lapua (U.K prices) and having used Win brass in other calibres from .222 - .458 would have no hesitation in recommending them to you. Also a small point to bear in mind is there is plenty of load data out there for .300 Win Mag and a high percentage of it is based upon standard ingredients, one of which is nearly always W-W brass!

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information on brass. This information is very helpful.

Posts: 126 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you are going for the bargain brass(Win Rem Fed) just about any will do. I personally get better accuracy in my 300 w/ Rem brass w/ win being close behind. The three have weight variances. I prefer win or rem over fed, federal usually has less capacity.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Remington but I'm sure any one of the rem/win/fed would work well for you.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester brass.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the R-P nickle plated brass and it has held up to multiple loadings well and offers very good accuracy too. The nickle does start to wear off after repeated visits to the vibe case cleaner though but that just goes to show how many loadings you can safely get. I would not use anything else.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote