Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wadcutters in revolver?
 Login/Join

posted
First, thanks to vapadog for the answer to my last question. I'm a newbie and am getting some ocnflicting info from local 'experts', so figured I can get the clear dope here. I'm reloading now for a .32 Ruger revolver. I was told I could load SWC as in the cross-hatched type from Hornady. Then in reading Lyman's manual, it says only a bullet with a cannelure to crimp for a revolver. Appreciate any help.

Posts: 5 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Which cartridge are you loading... 32 ACP, 32 S&W Long, or 32 H&R Magnum...?

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
S & W long for practice. I was looking at the SWC because of the price.

posted Hide Post
The revolver is Ruger Single Six in .32 H $ R magnum.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can absolutely use them. I have loaded and shot cast bullets without crimp grooves without issue. I'm currently working through a leftover box of old Meister bullets in a 357 mag. Just give them a light crimp like normal and shoot and enjoy.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Yes, you can absolutely use them. I have loaded and shot cast bullets without crimp grooves without issue. I'm currently working through a leftover box of old Meister bullets in a 357 mag. Just give them a light crimp like normal and shoot and enjoy.

+1... Lyman is providing good info, as you don't want the recoil of near max loads causing the bullet to "slip out" from it's seating depth. It causes the cylinder to jam on the tip of the bullet as it rotates by the forcing cone. For target loads with lead SWC, a light crimp is plenty adequate.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Boy, what a great thing the internet is. An old fart like me who has spent how many thousands of dollars on ammo over the years, then jumps into something as involved as reloading. And I can tap into the minds of people in the know all over the country and get answers in days, hours, even minutes. It sure makes getting into a new hobby much more of a pleasure. I appreciate all of you on here, and this forum, also. I'm sure I'll be talking with you again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I you don't want roll crimp, you could taper crimp. Lee makes a taper crimp die for the 32 S&W Long that should also work for the 32 Mag.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lyman is providing good info, as you don't want the recoil of near max loads causing the bullet to "slip out" from it's seating depth. It causes the cylinder to jam on the tip of the bullet as it rotates by the forcing cone. For target loads with lead SWC, a light crimp is plenty adequate.

+2 tu2

I never cared for the Hornady bullets you are talking about. I just found them a touch soft Or at least the last time I played with them. But I wasn't loading a 32. For a couple $$$ more there are plenty of choices that do have the cannelure in case you want to raise the velocity a touch.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2511043/m/9931072841

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1... Lyman is providing good info, as you don't want the recoil of near max loads causing the bullet to "slip out" from it's seating depth. It causes the cylinder to jam on the tip of the bullet as it rotates by the forcing cone.

Hmm. Personally I don't think that there is enough mass nand inertia in a 32 bullet in a Ruger revolver for one to "jump" as the rest of the cylinder is fired off.

Now a big heavy 455 Webley bullet OR old factory specification 357 Magnum loads in a S & W "K" Frame? Maybe?

But really only the lightest of roll crimps is all that is needed. Just enough, really, to close back down the "flare" you put on with the neck expander die.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
For use in a revolver where the COL isn`t as critical as a semi-auto load full wad cutters ( NOT semi wad cutters, FULL wad cutters) flush with the case mouth and put a slight roll crimp over the edge of the bullets shoulder. I`ve done this with 38 spcl for 40+ years and it was the way I was taught was proper with this style bullet.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is the same as Old Joe, that's
the way. If your pistol dosen't shoot well with them try a round nose.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote