New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Brand of bulk lead bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am doing some IDPA style shooting at our club (but we don't have the restricting rules.) I was wondering what are good inexspensive bullets to use in my S&W 586 in 38 cal? I see som many bullet makers out there? I would think I would be bying at least 1K to start.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used these guys for rifle bullets in 375, 411 and 458. I've been very happy. I have some 38cal pistol loaded but haven't shot them yet.

Not the cheapest around but excellent quality.

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/357.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oregon trail bullets. www.laser-cast.com
I have shot these in 44 mag,38 357.45 40 9mm 380 45-70 and 30-30. I have not had any leading problems,they are hard. I mostly shoot the 200 swc and the 250 rnfp out of my 45.In the 38 the whole shooting team uses the DEWC loaded out of the case,it makes loading with a speed loader faster. Between the sheriffs office and posse and competitions we have put millions of these down range. It is really handy there made in the same town. Check their site they used to send sample packs

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berry's Bullets are nice, ship free on orders over $50.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been using Missouri Bullets for the past couple of years with good success .Great Guys and EXCELLENT service.
I especially like their 158 Gr, Semi-Wadcutter for my.38 shooting.

Posts: 4 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I know of are Bear Creek Supply, Waterford California. Moly coated, zero leading, very accurate and visually pleasing, like little jewels.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have known guys with good results from the Missouri Bullets and some with trouble relating to barrel diameter and / or maybe lube. I was going to order some but they were out of stock both times I wanted to order them and give them a try.

If you keep the velocity down I believe the Speer soft leads are good. You dont have to lube them and the Speer applied hard lube stays on. They dont seem to lead the barrel at the slower velocities that I use them. I use the 148 wadcutters and the 158 SWC. Another thing I generally do is fire off a cylinder or two of the jacketed rounds at the end of shooting. The 148's work good in a Smith 52 as well.

The Speers are available here so I dont have to have them shipped. Midway and others sell them online but of course you pay the UPS delivery.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
alot of the locals like the bayou bullets. they are lead and do not require a lube due to a proprietary coating that is applied to them. they are supposed to be pretty good stuff. they are made here in louisiana by a guy donnie miculek if you google bayou bullets you should find his website. ive not shot any but everyone i talk to that has likes them. i think im going to pick up a sample pack to try out here soon.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Missouri Bullets. No problems with 45 and 38 bullets of various weights. Good prices and good service.

Posts: 55 | Location: Gretna,NE | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. Rivard:
Best I know of are Bear Creek Supply, Waterford California. Moly coated, zero leading, very accurate and visually pleasing, like little jewels.

Yes sir. And they pass the "fingernail test" for hardness. 300 grain pills moving at 1250 fps out of my .44 mag, never leaves any lead in the barrel.

I'm going to load 18 rounds using the moly coated ones and 18 with the coating removed. See if there's any difference in speed, or leading.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a hell of alot of the Oregon laser 240grn 44 cal's w/ no issues. Only use them a 8.0 grn of Unique for fun loads in my Ruger SBH. No problems at that velocity. Accuracy is good also. My Winch. Trapper will stack them one on top of the other at 50yds, w/ no problem. Good cheap bullets.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried them yet but I like the idea of the Oregon Lasercast bullets, you never know when you're going to run into a werewolf. jumping

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Give this guy a try. He makes great bullets.

http://www.betterbullets.com/

Roger is a member of my gun club and most of our IDPA shooters use his bullets. I don't shoot IDPA, but use his bullets exclusively and have for years. He has many satisfied customers at my gun club.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the laser cast are very good

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke/Pa:
I have been using Missouri Bullets for the past couple of years with good success .Great Guys and EXCELLENT service.
I especially like their 158 Gr, Semi-Wadcutter for my.38 shooting.

+2! I've been using their stuff for 9mm, .44, .45 and .38.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6" 586 loves the Hornady swaged 148 HBWC on top of 2.5gr bullseye. They're already lubed and I don't see excessive fouling with this load.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote