Find
Notify
Tools

7mm STW
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted
Just starting to load for my M70 Laredo and looking for suggested bullet and powder to try first.

Thanks!

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For bullets I would recommend at least a 150gr and up. These will get you the best overall performance from the rifle.

Powders, I would start around the RL-22 area on the chart and go slower down to Ramshot magnum at the slow end. Somewhere in between there are several great shooting loads.

I highly suggest Federal LRM Match if you can find them, but the standard mag is still good.

Cases are what you can find of them. If your really into a little added work, you might be able to find the 8mm Rem Mag cases easier and possibly cheaper, which only require a necking down for the STW.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Mike / Tx

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
These are what my 7STW liked. I used the 140 gr. bullets.

Federal GM215M Primers, Rem. Brass
Nosler 140 gr. AccuBond
3.600” COL
IMR-7828-79.0 grs.
3375 fps.-.6” group @ 100 yds.

Barnes 140 gr. TTSX
3.600” COL
IMR-7828-79.0 grs.
3400 fps.-.5” group

76.0 grs. of RL-22 shot almost as well.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I actually have tons of 8mm Mag brass, so will give that a try.

I picked up some 160gr Accubonds and will try them first, then maybe some TSX.

Thanks again

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler data ...i use the max RL-19 load in my 7mm stw & Hornady 162gr.btsp

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=7mm&s=278

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to the 7mm STW, the powders mentioned thus far are virtually pistol powders. The fastest powder I would try would be RL-25, and then only with relatively light bullets.

Hodgdon's US-869 and a newly-released batch of surplus WC-872 are the best prospects for 160 grain bullets. Thought somewhat faster, Accurate 8700 is also a reasonable prospect.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
When it comes to the 7mm STW, the powders mentioned thus far are virtually pistol powders. The fastest powder I would try would be RL-25, and then only with relatively light bullets.

Hodgdon's US-869 and a newly-released batch of surplus WC-872 are the best prospects for 160 grain bullets. Thought somewhat faster, Accurate 8700 is also a reasonable prospect.

I have US869. I just picked up some 160gr TSX. What would a good starting load be with this powder?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IMO, the point of the overbore magnums is pushing heavier bullets fast, not lighter bullets faster. I feed ny 7mmDakota 160gr bulelts almost exclusively, especially for hunting. IMR7828 is my go to powder, should work well in the 7STW, they are very sim.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Put together some loads today. Went with the 160gr TSX and US869. Seated to 3.650" and started at 84grs and went up to 90grs.

Will post my results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Hodgden Retumbo in my 7STW for all bullet weights. Never tried US869 since I thought from the available loading data, that it might be a tad too slow for the STW except with 175gr bullets.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading for the 7 RUM and have been using US-869 with great velocity, but no accuracy luck what so ever even with changing bullets.

I just got back from the range after trying Retumbo and think the barrel likes it better.

.75" group at 93.5 grains
1.00" group at 94 grains which is listed as max

Both with the 160 Accubond. I did not chrono the load yet. the Nosler book shows max at 92 grains and over 3200fps while the Hodgdon website shows the max at 94 grains.

Retumbo might work for you in the STW if the 869 doesn't work out...

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
What OAL are you guys seating the 160gr to? Is it 3.600"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IanD, I'm on the second barrel with my Winchester M70 classic in 7mm STW. Your Larado sounds like a great rifle.

The STW really shines with slow powders, and long barrels. US869, 50BMG, RL25, Retumbo are all great powders for the STW and the 160gr AB. I'm shooting powders even slower then these with excellent results. Brass is made by both Winchester and Remington. I ususally prefer Win brass but with the STW I've had much better results with Rem Brass.

As for overall length, IMHO the Sammi specs for the STW throat are way too long. Max oal is listed as 3.600. My rifle like it 160 AB around 3.60-3.065. Any shorter and the groups open up.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post

I got out to the range yesterday and seems promising.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H1000 and a 160gr Accubond

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wistrapper:

What would a good starting charge be?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanD:
Thanks for the help. I actually have tons of 8mm Mag brass, so will give that a try.

I picked up some 160gr Accubonds and will try them first, then maybe some TSX.

Thanks again

Good bullet choice, now stuff some IMR7828 under them & go shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
IanD, I'm on the second barrel with my Winchester M70 classic in 7mm STW. Your Larado sounds like a great rifle.

[QUOTE]

How many rounds did you get out of your first barrel AS?

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Just loaded up some 160gr AB and H-1000. Will see how they shoot. Started at 76grs and went to 80grs. Set them at 3.600"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wistrapper:

What would a good starting charge be?

Mine likes 78.5gr. I'm kind of a wuss so I started my ladder at 74gr.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:

[QUOTE]How many rounds did you get out of your first barrel AS?

Gents if I may step in on your conversation, I got less than 500 rounds out of my Laredo before I couldn't hit the side of a barn if I was staninding in said barn. Now to be fair I bought the gun new when I was about 20 and I'm dead sure that I abused it pretty bad. I got it hot alot, but this was before I learned patience and that heat and hot loads erode precision equipment. It was an expensive lesson for me. At the time I spoke to Winchester and let them know that I expected more than 500 rounds before the bore was trashed. They agreed and offered to refund my money. I decided to keep the gun and put on an ER Shaw barrel. (I'm extremely pleased with it by the way) Long story, but I wonder if it may have been a combination of my carelessnes and a run of questionable barrels? I guess I'll never know.

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
The H-1000 loads did not shoot much better. I will try 7828 next.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
A friend at Remington told me a long time ago that they leaned toward 7828 for the most of their load development. They consistenly liked it.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
A friend at Remington told me a long time ago that they leaned toward 7828 for the most of their load development. They consistenly liked it.

God Bless, Louis

I keep trying to tell ya.nilly I find it very uniform compared to RL22. I tried 8700, too slow, H4831 too fast. The 7828 does everything I want in the bigger 7mags, at least mine, so I stopped playing w/ other powders. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:

I keep trying to tell ya.nilly I find it very uniform compared to RL22. I tried 8700, too slow, H4831 too fast. The 7828 does everything I want in the bigger 7mags, at least mine, so I stopped playing w/ other powders. Big Grin

Yep, I am going to finally take your advice and try it. What charge weight should I start with for the 160gr and 140gr?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:

Yep, I am going to finally take your advice and try it. What charge weight should I start with for the 160gr and 140gr?

Hogdon site maxs out @ 77gr, I would start @ 74 & work up. Not having the 7STW, it's a guess. I run 74gr in my 7mmDakota for 3200fps in my 26" Ruger #1.

Picture of Rob Scott
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the STW for about 15 years (on my second barrel) and I've not had the best success with the slowest powders (50BMG, RL 25, Retumbo, etc.). I used AA 8700 for a few years, but it produced too much powder fouling for my tastes. I've used RL 22 and IMR 7828 a great deal and with bullets in the 150-162 range I've found them about perfect for velocity and accuracy out of a 27 inch tube with the edge in my rifle going to 7828. I use 150 NBTs at 3450 mv and 160 ABs at 3300 mv both with excellent accuracy. I suspect your Laredo will want the bullets longer than the magazine will allow (so the magazine will restrict OAL), but you'll need to check that yourself.

Posts: 12 | Location: Dillingham, AK | Registered: 01 December 2005Reply With Quote