New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning off belts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you guys any tips in removing the belts form a magnum cartridge? At a gun show I picked up some 416 Rigby brass which was made from 460 Weatherby brass and also a few pieces of 460 Weatherby brass with the belts still on.
What is an easy way to hold the case in a lathe. I was thinking of putting a 1" long piece of round stock in the chuck and boring it out to the same taper as the case. Then insert the case and hold it in with a flat pointed live center. Anyone know at how many degrees I have to set the compound to match the taper of the 460 Weatherby case?
I also have some morse taper collets that fit my spindle which I could use, but have to compensate for the taper some way.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Considering that Norma currently manufactures .416 Rigby brass, why not do it the easy way? Buy it...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have never done it, however if I had to do it I would use a Lee Case Trimmer collet and lock stud, and chuck that up. Then simply use a live center with not too much pressure, or a pilot turned a few thou under with a shot of oil.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Resize the case, seat a bullet in it, NO PRIMER or powder.

Now put the bullet in the 3 jaw chuck of your lathe, and the live center in the primer pocket, now you have it between centers.

Now just turn of the belt.

Pull the bullet, resize the neck and load them up to shoot.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I already have some Norma brass, but it is costing me $60 Canadian for 20 up here and I picked the Weatherby at a reasonable price. You know how it is, more time than money, but dam, I've got so many projects on the go, I'm also running out of time.

Terry, do think the primer pockets run true enough to take off the belt? Heard stories of poorly centered pockets.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote