New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .416 Taylor
 Login/Join

posted
Boys:

I need some guidance on the chambering of Taylor reloads.

I have two rifles in this caliber----one on a Mark X Mauser action and one on a Pre-64 Model 70 action.

The reloads that work nicely with the Mark X actions will not chamber in the Model 70 action.
I have reloaded shell for over 40 years but I am not technically talented.

Various ideas have passed through my mind but I have no clear direction--head space, case lenght, diffent chamber measurements??

By the way, this cartridge has realy done the job on buff and elephant.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Larry Woodcock
Dillon, MT

Woody

Posts: 13 | Location: Dillon, MT | Registered: 14 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Boys:

I think I have found the problem. Some of my cases were formed from 7mm Mag cases and they cycle through the Mark X nicely. Such cases will not cycle through the Model 70 but cases producted specifically for the .416 Taylor will chamber in the Model 70.

Woody

Posts: 13 | Location: Dillon, MT | Registered: 14 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the reloads fitting in the chamber and the bolt closeing all the way, or cycling through the magazine?

The chambers can vary a tiny bit at the shoulder and cause one not to chamber all the way in the other, if thats what your talking about.

I need a 416 taylor also Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
chamber is too tight, needs to be recut on m70.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. x2 what Jeffoso said ...

Can,t have ammo for a caliber that won,t chamber in your rifles ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Taylor being a wildcat, there is quite a variation in dimensions, a standard Taylor, if there is such a thing, seems to have a 2.12 base to shoulder measurement & about a 35 degree shoulder. A-squared legitimised the Taylor with SAAMI but chose to go with a round having a base to shoulder measurement of 2.04, the same as the 338 Win Mag & similar 25 deg shoulder angle.. While these might be easy to form from this case & will fire in a standard chamber the converse is not true & rounds formed with the longer shoulder dies will not chamber in a SAAMI spec rifle. This may be where your problem lies. I'm plotting & planning a Taylor currently & this whole problem is causing me some angst just now.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote