New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently picked up a 7MM WSM and I am having a hard time with it. It has a Montana action and I don't know who made the barrel.

It doesn't change by changing my loads, in a 3 shot group, the first shot hits, the next shot is about 3/4" to the right of the first and the last shot is 3/4" to the right of the second.

Do I have a problem with the reloads, the rifle or the scope?

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buckshotaz:
I recently picked up a 7MM WSM and I am having a hard time with it. It has a Montana action and I don't know who made the barrel.

It doesn't change by changing my loads, in a 3 shot group, the first shot hits, the next shot is about 3/4" to the right of the first and the last shot is 3/4" to the right of the second.

Do I have a problem with the reloads, the rifle or the scope?

Sounds like the barrel to me. It's stringing shots to the right as it heats up. I have a 260 Rem that did that. It wasn't a Remington made one, one that I put together with an after market barrel. I initially free floated the barrel. I had to put a forearm pressure point bedding on it and after that it held center of bullseye. You didn't say whether or not after it cooled or you let it set to the next day if it repeated the scenario exactly, or kept shooting more towards the right. If it did shoot more to the right each time even after cooling, I'd suspect something else is the matter like loose scope mounte, rings, bad scope.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
There could also be a problem with the scope (something loose inside), the scope mounts (loose) or even the barrel crown.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buck,

Let's take this one step-at-a-time. Attempt to consider what could be the most important influence.

1. You, technique. You're doing something different at the bench every time you tug/pull/squeeze/slap the trigger. The shot; due to what occurs at the bench is not consistant; Steady Hold Factors, Rest, Sandbags, Bench, etc.

2. The rifle; broken down into it's sub-components.

3. The whole rifle is Shit. Stock, Action, Trigger, Barrel, Bedding, Mounts, Rings, Scope & Ammo. I doubt it.

4. Stock, action doesn't wiggle, or move/change when pressure is applied anywhere to the action & stock? Are action screws front & rear too tight or too loose; too long or too short? Can you move/push action/barrel when all is assembled to a reasonable tightness? Clearance. None or inconsistant?

5. Action doesn't bind, bolt closes same every time; no hickups.

6. Trigger releases same every time.

7. Barrel is "Kaput", rough, not straight, crown not even.

8. If action or barrel moves position when action screws are tightened; bedding isn't correct. Front action screw firmly tight, rear screw; just enough tightness.

9. Mounts not tight.

10. Rings not tight.

11. Scope. Either not mounted according to Hoyle or has it's own problems.

12. Rifle doesn't prefer ammuntion. Either handloads or factory. Bur you are getting the "same" results so the ammo shoots O.K.

After all this BS your rifle sounds to me like the scope recticle is loose and on it's way to breaking. A consistant back & forth shot group is either the scope (something loose inside) or look into sunlight with scope and if you can see "hairs" growing on the recticle; if so, it's gonna pop and you'll find it laying weird looking on it's side, or,

Barrel channel bedding; something not consistant in the barrel channel.

Good Luck and let us know what the answer is.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the feedback, I will check the scope mounts and all the screw, also will check to make sure it is not me.

I have another VX III that I can swap out.

How can I check barrel crown?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buckshotaz:
How can I check the barrel crown?

1. Magnification.

2. Drag a Q-tip across the edge. If it catches and shreds, the crown needs attention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO the problem is in the barrel or its fitup to the receiver. There is something that's changing as the barrel heats, & I believe it's either a non-square thread shoulder or an internal barrel flaw, causing the increasing heat to move the impact point in a predictable manner. A flaw in the crown would not do this, the results would not be the same, ditto with any looseness in the scope or its mounts.

Check your barrel's fitup to the receiver, I'm betting that you'll find that it's somewhat off. This will require that you pull the barrel and examine the contact of the shoulders where the barrel socks up against the front of the receiver ring.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buck,

You haven't mentioned what kind of stock is on the rifle. If the bedding is bad, with a wood stock pressing up against the barrel, you'll get groups just like you're getting.
I'd make sure the action is bedded well, and the barrel free floating to see if that fixes the problem.

Don

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Nine times out of ten, when such a problem shows up, it is due to bad barrel and/or action bedding in the stock. Fix that first.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
tear the scope/mounts down and remount, perfectly - use loktite or clear nail polish

and pull the stock off the action, check for debris or an obvious rub spot in the barrel

put the action back in, being careful to first snug all the screws THEN tighten them

if you shoot 3 rounds (don't bother aiming) and then shoot 3 for groups, with it all warm, how does it shoot?

Does it shoot cold bore to the same spot every time?

I suspect scope mounting systems, usually 8 of 10 times, but i've been wrong before!

turn the scope down to its LOWEST power and shoot for groups... does it move more or less?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I changed the scope and rings the mounts were good. Went out and shot the rifle and is still doing the same thing. After I got home I decided to see if barrel was touching the stock (I should of done this while the rifle was hot) I took a dollar bill and slid it all the way down the barrel and found no tight spots.

To answer some questions by others;

The stock is wood (very nice wood)
The gun shoots the same way cold or hot but when hotter it is all over the place

Today the shooting conditions were bad for testing with strong winds (I was shooting into the wind) The problem of stringing the shots was there but the distance between shots was larger then before. I will try again in the morning if the wind is not blowing.

Thank you all for you input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuckshotazBig Grino I have a problem with the reloads, the rifle or the scope?

You're probably having the same problems the previous owner had. If bedding and re-crowning don't help, you may need a new barrel. The other variable would be the shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a right handed shooter who jerks the trigger pulls the shots low and right, left handed low and left. be sure of your squeeze

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from shooting and found the problem. The stock was loose and cracked. Crack goes from back screw around grip and up to notch where bolt closes. If you flex stock you can see it. I will see if it is fixable or if I need to find a new stock.

Thanks to all who put in their $.02

one of us
posted Hide Post
A dollar bill is not enough space for a free float. As the barrel heats it will expand and can bounce off the wood.
There could also be stress in the barrel steel and it is bending as it heats.
I do not suspect the sights.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS, you found it! Use nothing but Accra Glass resin if you fix it. Spread the crack as far as you can and stuff it tight with resin. Then wrap tight with a bunch of inner tube bands or surgical tubing and let harden a few days.
You will need to refinish. Real pretty wood is worth it. If you can span a crack from inside somewhere where it will not be seen, you can also drill and run in those threaded pins Brownell's has. Stuff in resin before running them in.
Don't fool with wood glue!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote