New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ridiculous Wildcats!
 Login/Join

<seven17>
posted
Thought I put a post in purely for entertainment value for you to vote on the most ridiculous wildcat you have seen or dreamed up. I'm talking about 308s necked up to 7.5mm, .311 Weatherby mags and 32-40 improved and other oddballs. Hopefully you we won't offend someone who has tried these! Let your imagination run!

<eldeguello>
posted
.32/40 Improved!! Isn't that what we call a ".32 Winchester Special"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See the June issue of Guns and Ammo. You can read all about the CBS.30. BFD. The term "gunrag" must have originated with this magazine.

------------------
there's a fine line between hobby and mental illnes

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 03:14: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

<JerrBear356>
posted
How about the tried and trued .17/50BMG. I have actually seen one in a book somewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that the one with three shoulders?

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JerrBear356:
How about the tried and trued .17/50BMG. I have actually seen one in a book somewhere.

Now that would be a barrel burner! If the bullet didn't kill them, the molten metal coming out the barrel would.

Can you say, "What barrel life?"

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may not be the most rediculous wildcat but its one of the most unique.

I have a couple cases sent to me by an acquaintence gunsmith. The case is a 22 caliber in an 06 case. Heres the catch it has 2 shoulders. The first shoulder is about the same location as a 308 Win. and the 308 neck forms the body for the second shoulder which reduces it to 22.

Very interesting design. What the advantages are I'm uncertain. But it sure is a conversation maker.

Ray

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[...... The case is a 22 caliber in an 06 case. Heres the catch it has 2 shoulders. The first shoulder is about the same location as a 308 Win. and the 308 neck forms the body for the second shoulder which reduces it to 22.

Ray[/B][/QUOTE]

This sounds as if someone put a 22 cal bullet into military blank! These have a shoulder at -06 length (I believe at the position of the bullet meeting the grooves) and another shoulder for the regular 308. the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't the famed "Herter's Magnum" line of cartridges have double, radiused shoulders? I'm not sure if they were belted or not...
But I think they did make a "224 Herter Magnum."

Todd

ED: correction of above -- I guess they wrote about them, can't say for sure if they ever saw light of day.

[This message has been edited by Todd Getzen (edited 05-11-2002).]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
Has anyone ever heard of the .224 Weatherby being necked up or down? I know with that boltface it would be expensive but that doesn't stop a true wildcatter!

<.>
posted
The one I heard about with the 50 BMG is to neck it down to shoot phonograph needles.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I saw Boddington's 30 CBS or whatever he calls it... 300 H&H "blown-out"... guess he hadn't heard the wheel has already been invented.

BA

<OTTO>
posted
At this point velocity and performance have been covered. All that's left is a small change in shoulder angle and body taper. That's all that the .30 cbs has to offer. When you bring in the 4000+ fps 220 gr .30 cal cartridge, call me. Otherwise it's just an exercize in vanity and futility.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

<Sniper06>
posted
OK folks, I have a couple which I hope are not rediculous...a .50 BMG IMP. necked out to .75 cal, the .416 Rigby IMP, necked to 50 cal,as big game rounds, and the puney little 7.62X39 case improved and necked to .358", with VLD bullets as a whisper cartridge? Hope these aren't too wild as I want them all, and have started work on the last one listed as a whisper round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Herters cartridges did featuer the double shoulder. According to Herters this design revolutionized cartridge design and caused previous beliefs to be thrown out the window. Apparently the rest of the world was not convinced. I've never actually seen a rifle chambered in one of these and have no plans to buy a reamer myself. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3582 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote