New
Find
Notify
Tools

stuck case
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have my first stuck case. What I need to know is the best way to remove it, and Waht caused it? I took the die apart and cleaned it, sprayed it with teflon lube inside, wiped excess away with paper towell. Lubed a case and tried it, stuck case. Thanks Guys

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a stuck case remover from RCBS etc. Cheap and easy to use.
The biggest single cause for stuck cases is related to lubing, be it from how it's done or what/how much is used. (I did have one stick from using the wrong case holder.)
Since I've started using Imperrial Die Wax (Sinclare) no more problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most spray oils like WD-40 and the "teflon" lubes make very poor die lubricants. I do not know the chemical/physical reasons for this, but using a common "penetrating" oil for a case lubricant often leads to a stuck case. Imperial Die Wax works well and is relatively clean. Nearly any common automotive oil (motor, transmission, or STP-type additive) makes good die lube, but tends to be messy and it is easy to use too much, resulting in wrinkled cases.

The RCBS case pulling tool works fine, but if you have a tap set, a drill bit, a "hard" bolt of the right size (I think I use a 5/16"), and a supply of the right size washers, you already have an RCBS kit for free. Most reloaders/homeowners will have these fundamental tools sitting around their workshop already.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. I thought of that this a.m. and I was going to try to rig something up tonight. I think what I did wrong is not use enough of the Lee Lube. I sprayed the teflon in after cleaning the die but I shoud have factored in clean die/lack of lube in die prior to lubing and trying a case. This all came about because I noticed a scratch on a few of the cases afer resizing. I think I am just going to make a home grown puller out of some all thread. Thanks again

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Stonecreek said on spray lubes. Lee (the white paste) is great and normally, you should put the greater part of the lube around the lower 1/2 of the case. Seldom does a case get stuck from the neck not having enough lube plus you avoid lube dents on the shoulder.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need my stuck case remover kit every few years, unually the result of trying to save time by only lubing every 4th or 5th case.

Get yourself a 1/4" drill bit, 5/16" NC tap, short length of 5/16" threaded rod, a few fender washers and a nut. Drill and tap the case head, screw the die in the press and use the threaded rod/washer/nut to remove.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
I have my first stuck case. What I need to know is the best way to remove it, and Waht caused it? I took the die apart and cleaned it, sprayed it with teflon lube inside, wiped excess away with paper towell. Lubed a case and tried it, stuck case. Thanks Guys

Stuck case = not enough lube...

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
What Chris01 said is what I use. Saves money on the kit. If done right, you won't even scratch the die.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote