New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for testing loads
 Login/Join

Picture of Cgarza86
posted
In what increments do you move when testing powder loads? .1gr,.5gr, 1gr? I am admittedly new to reloading and have been working on some loads. with pretty good results but was just wondering how everyone else does it.

Right now I'm shooting a Rem 700 with a 20" tube. Federal brass.
CCI BR2 primers
168gr Hornaday match bullets
IMR 4064 powder.

Also I know going to the top of the recommended load range is a bad idea but what happens if you go the other way? Recommended starting load is I believe 41.5gr but what would happen if I went to say 41gr? Would this be a safety issue or just diminish accuracy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dropping below the suggested starting load can create problems with hang fires and such. Depending on the powder you're using. Since you are a beginner, I would suggest sticking pretty close to what the books say.
The size of the case kinda dictates what size increases I make when I'm "roughing in" a load. I may use 1gr incrementsd when beginning a cartridge in the 30-06 or larger class; I may use a smaller increment with something the size of a .223.
When I go the the second and third evaluations, I will go to a smaller increase. Rarely will I go to an increase smaller than .2grs. I don't believe my "rock and a rusty nail" style of reloading can detect variations smaller than that. Especially with regards to accuracy.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, with big cases I use 1gr increments to get close and tune from there, smaller cases use .5gr increments, the smallest I've loaded for is a .223 though. I'm sure the pistol guys use smaller increments yet.

I dont see a problem going down even a full grain from the starting suggestion in a bigger rifle case.

Posts: 42 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 6 roughly equal steps (Min, Max and 4 in between). IE: max-min/5. EX: min = 55, max = 60, difference is 5/5 = 1gr increments. Min (55), Min+1 (56), Min+2 (57), Min+3 (58), Min+4 (59), Max (60).

If I find 2 adjacent loads that look equally promising (group size), than I'll break down the gap between those 2, to fine tune.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda matters what size cartridge you're talking about. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
I use 6 roughly equal steps (Min, Max and 4 in between). IE: max-min/5. EX: min = 55, max = 60, difference is 5/5 = 1gr increments. Min (55), Min+1 (56), Min+2 (57), Min+3 (58), Min+4 (59), Max (60).

If I find 2 adjacent loads that look equally promising (group size), than I'll break down the gap between those 2, to fine tune.

I do the same the 1st time around. Then I'll take the best and work 5 more loads at .2 grs up and down.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevastopol:
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:

I do the same the 1st time around. Then I'll take the best and work 5 more loads at .2 grs up and down.

I break the 2nd round down the same way as I do the first one. I don't work in "set" increments, I let them float as a percentage of the difference. When your working with anything from Hornet to Ultra-mag class cases, spec'ing a set increment doesn't work well, but "even steps" between a lower and upper limit does (on a small case the steps may well be .1gr, while on a large one they may be .5gr).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Cgarza86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
Kinda matters what size cartridge you're talking about. ??

Sorry guys I failed to say this is .308win

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...this is .308win"

.3 gr. per step.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
In a 308 Winchester with a strong action, at the lower end I go with 1 grain increments and when approaching the upper end I use 0.5 grain increments.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
1%, not grain, rounded down, usually,if i am hunting max vel

however, i don't use max loads anymore.. if i need the delivery of a MAX round, i usually go up a case and load mild.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
When working up loads for my rifles, in small case cartridges that I have owned such as the .204 Ruger and .223 Remington, I work up in 0.2 grain increments, where as 7mm WSM, .270, .280 I work up in half grain increments. In small cases, I personally feel working up in half grain increments is too great.

I always start about 10% below maximum, then work up the loads over my chronograph until I've reached the maximum load my rifle will handle. I'll then go back through my loads and find the load and group that looks the most promising, then use that as my base line and load up in 0.2 grain increments. I even do this with the bigger case rounds. I will also play around with the seating depth as well to try and tighten up those loads.

If you have the ability to load at the range this is a real god send.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for pressure first, using max COAL (to fit magazine box or starting at .015" from lands) in .3 or .4 grain increments, depending on case capacity. Once I find my max pressure, I back off a half grain and start playing with seating depth. I usually find a very accurate load this way with fewer than 50 rounds fired, sometimes with fewer than 30.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also do not go to max loads. I usually find a more accurate load before I get there. I start 10% down and work up in 1/2 grain increments until I get the best accuracy. Then I go .2 grains either side of that just to see if it gets a little better. The only exception may be the 30-06 since the loads are usually rated at a lower pressure than say the 270. I may go to max on that.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
however, i don't use max loads anymore.. if i need the delivery of a MAX round, i usually go up a case and load mild.

WinkIMHO This is a prudent practice and one that promotes barrel life and safety. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just stick 42 grs of I-4895 behind anything weighing 145 to 165 grains in the 308 and call it a day.
i got things to do.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
i just stick 42 grs of I-4895 behind anything weighing 145 to 165 grains in the 308 and call it a day.
i got things to do.

I don't load rifle ammo yet, but love this comment! BOOM

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote