New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Chronograph Now That...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Oehler is no longer making the model 33?
My first choice is the new Pact with the IR upgrade with the balistic softwear.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help with this, and if anyone knows where I may still buy a Oehler model 33 please tell me.

Great thanks,
Art.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a $50 refurbished chrony that works well enough.

But now that I have a private shooting range and will soon have an indoor shooting bench (gloat), the CED would be nice because it can hook up directly to a computer and the lights allow shooting in any reasonable conditions.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that they are all pretty equal. Some will have some options that may fit you better. I like the read out that sits with you on the bench several units have them. I think another major consideration is the size of the screens some a pretty small I'd opt for the larger ones.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a 6-pak of Chrony's and start shooting them.
They are far more accurate than needed, and don't cause ricochets when hit.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:

LMAO! I'm still waiting to shoot the sunscreens on my 1983 vintage PACT but that's funny!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get a chrony.

pact, oehler, and shooting chrony are ALL rated at .005 or 1/2 of 1 percent.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The PACT lifetime warrantee seems to be very real. I had a sojourn from shooting for some years. When I dug out the chronos (I have three) I was not certain of their calibration as they were mid to late '80s vintage and had not been used in at least 5 years. So, I called them and sent them back. The recalibrated them and included new sensors when they shipped them back to me ... all for free.

Very impressed I was.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:

I agree about shooting them. And they are accurate when they work and finding 20 foot cables , well that may be a little difficult,(using the long cable doesn't reduce your window by more than 25%), and replacing screens that fall apart isn't really that exspensive and it's smart to buy spares, and if you have 2 chronies, than waiting for a rework won't shut you down and finding one piece replacement posts aren't that difficult, and if you're handy with a soldering iron repairing the battery wires is easy.

I just can not understand why anyone would bad mouth a Chrony. I've had three and now I've been humbled and reduced to using an Oehler. Fortunes of war. bullroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've found shooting chronies can have problems reading in weird lighting conditions, which is what you get in Alaska in the winter when the sun is low in the sky. Asside from that, they are a great unit for the $ and easy to set up. I still need to order a replacement for mine, errant gas check at 1400 fps did the deed Big Grin

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CED Millennium:
2 things I like about this puppy are the fact that the electronics can be on the bench BEHIND the rifle and the IR lighting kit. With that kit, I can shoot at night if I wanted too.

Matt
NRA Life Member
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill

Posts: 47 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the Pact for a couple of years now, and I think it's great. I have a few friends that have the Oehler 35, and the produce the same data as my Pact (or Vice Versa)

It is really handy to have the electronics on the bench beside you as you shoot, and if you take the time to learn the software--which I haven't yet--it has some great data crunching available to you.

I always set my chronograph up with a cheap laser boresighter, and haven't ever come clost to shooting it. I'll probably blow it to bits next time I go to the range now that I said that..but at least it would just be the 'skyscreens' (and somehow I have a backup set of those!)

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I still shoot over Oehler screens but what I would want in a replacement would be a chronograph which would print a tape with the data to help organized my loading notes. Best if the expensive parts are behind the muzzle as well... but only as necessary as you are cautious.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW.. Since I finally shot my Oehler 35 screens(thats right all three!) I've spoke to them twice in the past few weeks to get replacement parts. And to see the availability of a new printer.

The only reason they are not offering the 35 right now is due to a supply issue with a component manufacture for the printer. Rather than just sell the base unit they decided to suspend sales of the model 35 until they can work this out. They told me that hopefully this will be sooner than later. Until then you can buy any Oehler product save the 35P. And all parts except for printer parts are available for replacement and service.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
buy the oehler model 42 then you and roger can look down your noses at everybody else. hammering

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Actually, those of us with CED chronos could look down our noses at others if we wern't so modest. hammering

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've found shooting chronies can have problems reading in weird lighting conditions, which is what you get in Alaska in the winter when the sun is low in the sky.

Paul - I solve this (in the Seattle area, BTW) by mounting my Chrony on a camera tripod which I can tilt toward the sun (left or right, only). As long as the diffusers provide shade over the sensors you will get no errors, even with the unit tilted 45 degrees or whatever.

We have frequent overcast days(!) when I don't use the diffusers at all.

If the sun is low enough in the sky, the light from above will be diffused naturally, so any type of sunshade ought to work that shades the sensors from the direct sunlight, then leave the diffusers off.

Hope this helps you!