Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check out this annealing method
 Login/Join

posted
I found this on youtube and want to build/buy one. Any thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjhTXvwVPU

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'll pass. To me very little control over the temp. Looks to me like he gets it to red for me. Then with almost an inch of coil depending on the case you heat heat up a long way down the body. The fact that he needs to use tongs to hold the case concerns me as to the heat transfer to the head.

Nope nothing I care to try.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you can adjust the coil to any thickness may work. Only problem is the price they run around $500 about the same as Ken Light's machine.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$500? I'll continue to use my $5 propane torch, apparently some folks must love to throw their money away.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recently gave my KL machine to my son for Xmas and bought the machine in the video. It is called the mini-ductor and is made by Induction Innovations. I got mine at tooltopia. com for a lot less than what I paid for the KL machine. If you take some time to learn to use the machine you'll find it is much more controllable than any torch and it actually anneals the brass all the way through, which a propane torch cannot do without heating the body of the case. I have found that with a little care you can anneal just the neck and nothing else on the larger standard rifle cases. You can even safely anneal pistol brass. Apparently the guy in the video did not read or understand the instructions for his mini-ductor. They say very clearly and more than once to avoid getting the machine near any metal objects other than that which you wish to heat. This is probably why he has to heat the necks so much--red is not good.

I use a pizza stone to stand the cases on; it works very well. Using this method you can actually use temp-l-stick or temp-l-lac without the flame of the torch giving you a false reading because you got it too near. The stone works as a heat sink, although you don't really need one. I was going to have to buy 3 more shell plates for my KL machine--the mini-ductor was only a few dollars more--my son shoots only the cartridges I had plates for so it works out well for him.

The big advantage for me here is that I can now thoroughly anneal the short fat BR cases I shoot--the KL machine never did get them quite done even double torched - and - a single torch method was useless.

For another discussion of this tool go to the firing line forums and look for induction annealing in the archive.

This tool can be used to anneal brass like you never could before--but there is going to be a little learning and thinking involved-- if that's not for you--forget it. But, if you are someone who does use his head for more than a hatrack and you don't need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century you might want to give this thing a go. It's not all that expensive.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
This tool can be used to anneal brass like you never could before--but there is going to be a little learning and thinking involved-- if that's not for you--forget it. But, if you are someone who does use his head for more than a hatrack and you don't need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century you might want to give this thing a go. It's not all that expensive.

You sound like my brother the computer nerd, making it seem like anything but your/his viewpoint is only for idiots. I occasionally do use my head for more than a hatrack, just retired from a technical career in the commercial nuclear industry and have a degree in Gunsmithing among others.

Since it's not all that expensive (to you anyway) I will gladly allow you to drag me into the 21st century by gifting the machine to me, and I promise not to even kick and scream at all!(G)

I guess if I already had everything else I wanted or if I was a techno-junkie then I might consider it but for now I'll continue to use my old propane torch and rely upon my manual dexterity to keep from getting burnt. It certainly ain't perfect but I can buy a very nice older classic scope for the price difference. Propane has worked well for me for many years for cartridges as small as the K-Hornet and 357 Mag. Wouldn't wanta try to do any 32 ACP though.....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You know I have a step son who feels like he needs every new phone, pc or other electric toy that comes out.

If buying stuff like that makes you happy go for it.

But there are plenty of us you have gone through life using our heads for something other than a hatrack that choose not too.

Yes there are new ideas that have an excellent place. But there are a lot of things that fit into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

If you want your new toy go for it. No reason to insult those of us that don't.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that set up quick an efficient , using the tongs is necessary how else would one set

the cases in those " Plastic Trays " without cooking fingers ?. Note Plastic would melt if the Temp

was to high , so the case head an body are just fine . If anything perhaps a smidgen more time is in order .

That method is used by Lapua as well as Norma ,granted far more sophisticated set up but the

same none the less . Anyone feel their brass is worthless please send me all you have I'll even pay the

shipping !. archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the manufactures site:
http://www.theinductor.com/index.php

I've never heard of or seen such a device before,
I thought it was great pricy but great.

For the few case I may some day anneal I will first try the old propane torch and pan of water method to see how that works out.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
amamnn, I've been reloading over 40yrs now never annealed a case don't plan on it but I like to keep up with the latest things.

No need to insult us!

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
I found this on youtube and want to build/buy one. Any thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjhTXvwVPU

Being familiar with this type of heating I think it is the best. It takes a little scratch to set up but if you got the money and a lot of annealing to do it is the BEST way. I mean it don't come no better. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
If you take some time to learn to use the machine you'll find it is much more controllable than any torch and it actually anneals the brass all the way through, which a propane torch cannot do without heating the body of the case.

Can you explain this? I am no physicist but how can it heat all the way through the neck wall better than a torch? Heat is heat correct? Does this just heat the brass that much faster allowing the neck to reach the proper temp to anneal before heat dissipates to the case body?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JD,
Why so rude to him? Amamnn (whatever that means) wasn't being a jerk, just saying new things come out and they might be better then the old ways. You must admit, that thing is a lot easier than a torch. Plus, it heats the neck the same all the way around.
For the record, I didn't look at the price before I posted this. I was just wondering if one of you has tried this before since it looked so easy.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model--if you are annealing a large caliber .30 and above--I noticed that you can actually see the annealing being accomplished INSIDE the neck by looking down into it----The electromagnetic field generated by the coil heats the metal only in its range and it does so VERY quickly. A torch is a lot less precise.--BTW some of the replies only serve to show that there are mossbacks in every field of endeavor--even one alleged to be as scientific as ballistics...........these are the people who would have to be dragged kicking and screaming--in one case into the 20th century--but that's ok I only hope that those are the people at the bench 2 or 3 down from me at the next match---shooting those old time .25 moa aggs.

This method of annealing is the one used by your favorite brass maker and can be seen in their videos, although the induction machine is a lot larger and does several cases at a time. This is NOT a new idea. What IS new is that you can now afford one--if I can afford it on disability pay --YOU can afford it. Only those closed minds need feel insulted and I won't apologize to them............

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
www.tooltopia.com
35 bucks
http://www.tooltopia.com/induc...ions-md99-60123.aspx

interesting .. different ... who knows, might get bored and buy one

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Ahhh. It uses an electromagmetic field. I though it was just a coiled element that heated rapidly when the button is pushed.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
35 bucks

Yes for a replacement coil try $406.07 for the actual Mini-Ductor Kit.

Like I said you guys that want one go for it. Why do you feel you need to insult those that don't. My favorite case manufacturer has plenty of stuff I don't have nor need for what I do.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A) This is probably 'the best' method of annealing as you say, however I can't afford nor do I need 'the best', that's why I don't drive a Bugatti for instance. Do you?

B) I was rude to him because I thought he was rude to all of us who didn't agree with him.

C) You don't need a pan of water if you hold the case head in your hand while rotating it in the flame; when it becomes uncomfortable, simply drop it onto a clean cotton towel.

D) I and many others on this forum are already well into the 21st century, in many ways some of us are technologically undoubtedly far, far ahead of some of you who simply HAVE to have the latest techno-poof. AND, we don't hafta prove our superiority by our Conspicuous Consumption.

My son-in-law is fully up on the latest & greatest electronic communication and music downloading techno-poof and he sure needs it since he hasta call My Daughter when he has a flat 'cause he can't change the wheel by himself. He weighs 400 lbs, 6'-6" tall, 100% 21st-century techno-literate and on the cutting edge; no 21st-century kicking and screaming there but he can't even change a flat tire or drive a standard shift.

Sorry for the rant (and My Daughter, sometimes, G) and I guess my point is that just simply being up on the latest & greatest technology doesn't necessarily mean that you'll do a better job just because you have the latest toy. Folks have been 'improving' barrel-making for a long time now but still haven't improved upon the accuracy of the old tried-&-true single-point-cutter method. Not one bit.

I annealed 100 Hornet hulls last month by this method, took about 30 min. Lost none in fireforming. Annealed 50 well-used full-sized Improved Zipper hulls and resized back down to std 219 and then fireformed back out to a shorter Improved configuration, lost no cases. 357 Mag can go down to 256 Win Mag in one operation with no case loss but you gotta be quick to avoid burnt fingers with a case this short.

I'll continue to use my $5 propane torch.
Regards, Joe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
35 bucks

Yes for a replacement coil try $406.07 for the actual Mini-Ductor Kit.

Like I said you guys that want one go for it. Why do you feel you need to insult those that don't. My favorite case manufacturer has plenty of stuff I don't have nor need for what I do.

Paul - I don't .. looked like a wicked thing that will let me screw up cases faster than any other means, besides a lathe, that I have tried before ..
LOL

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't .. looked like a wicked thing that will let me screw up cases faster than any other means, besides a lathe, that I have tried before ..
LOL

Jeffe, sorry I should have split my post. The comment about insulting sure wasn't directed to you but a couple others on this thread.
I just resented being called a mossback, told I used my head for a hatrack or that I was cheap that anyone could afford one.

There are a lot of members who must save up for simple toys we have others that can go to Africa every year I'm lucky enough to be in the middle. But why put anyone down because they can't or even don't want to buy the next new toy. Why should anyone be put down because they don't want to buy or spend their hard earned $$ on the same things we do?

I think we should be better than that.

Yes I first thought it was a heat coil. My error. Yes I know that induction coils are often used. As I have said at least twice now if anyone wants one go for it but leave the insults behind.

I have loaded for 30+ years now have annealed with a torch for the majority of that time. I've had no compaint with that method. I'm sure there are better ways as well as worse. I simply choose to spend my $$ on something else.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
Amamnn (whatever that means) wasn't being a jerk, just saying new things come out and they might be better then the old ways. You must admit, that thing is a lot easier than a torch. ...
No, it is not easier than using a Propane Torch and yes he threw a lot of unnecessary "obummer" on everyone who does not waste money on the totally unnecessary, way too expensive toy.
-----

Hey ramrod, You keep doing the old "soft-shoe" routine on these fools and they will continue to trash talk everyone.

Hey JD, Hang in there! 32ACP? Heck, I have enough trouble re-finding 45ACPs. rotflmo BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote