Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Blue Dot loads
 Login/Join

posted
I will try again without it getting hijacked. Hi everyone this has probably been asked a thousand times but i did search and could not find it. Does anyone have seafire2 reloading data for the 243 and 308 with blue dot if so could you please email it to me.I have been using his load data for the 223 brilliant.

pommyfisherman@btinternet.com

Thanks guys n galls

Posts: 3 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 17 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Did you get my E-Mail??? Confusedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I sent you an email as well.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will try again without it getting hijacked. Hi everyone this has probably been asked a thousand times but i did search and could not find it. Does anyone have seafire2 reloading data for the 243 and 308 with blue dot if so could you please email it to me.I have been using his load data for the 223 brilliant.

EEK! Blue Dot in the 243 or 308.

I called Alliant asking about Blue Dot and .223 data. They won't test it, the combination was too varible and huge pressure increases due to small variations made the whole thing too risky in their opinion.

And someone is recommending Blue Dot in the 308 case?

Scary.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
quote:

EEK! Blue Dot in the 243 or 308.

I called Alliant asking about Blue Dot and .223 data. They won't test it, the combination was too varible and huge pressure increases due to small variations made the whole thing too risky in their opinion.

And someone is recommending Blue Dot in the 308 case?

Scary.

If you read the OP, all he asked for was Seafire2's reloading data for the 243 and the 308 with Blue Dot.

Not for a service call to Alliant. Simple can be hard.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the point of these bluedot loads in bottle neck rifle cases?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger and Slowpoke Slim they were in my spam folder.

Regards Tony

Posts: 3 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 17 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
What is the point of these bluedot loads in bottle neck rifle cases? .
There is a guy on another Board(Pecos Pete) who decided to do some strange Down-Loads using Powder which is normally not intended to be used in that way. Then it was noticed by a member here and he decided if it worked there, it should work on EVERY cartridge ever created. And he came up with his "Magic Formula" which supposedly works in EVERYTHING.

Only problem is the Blue Dot has very Erratic Pressure fluctuations when not used as designed. I tried some of the Blue Dot 223Rem Reduced Loads and thought they were pretty good - until I noticed the wild Pressure Swings.

Since then there have been two reported near Ka-Booms and one total Ka-Boom(we are aware of) using these non-factory tested Reduced Blue Dot Loads.

So, it appears there is only one Logical answer for continuing to spread Loads which have great potential to Ka-Boom rifles and perhaps Kill folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
What is the point of these bluedot loads in bottle neck rifle cases? .
There is a guy on another Board(Pecos Pete) ....
That should be Paco Kelley(or maybe Kelly) and I seem to remember it being some kind of Lever Action Board. Might be able to locate it with Google if anyone cares to look.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked but I cannot find the data the OP asked for. I do however load BlueDot in straight walled handguns and in .223, .260 and .338 Magnums, and have for years. Why? Why do you reload? To save money? I doubt that, most of us do not save money reloading. It is an interesting hobby which allows us to do things the factories do not - like making reduced loads.

HotCore is notorious on other boards for dissing anybody who mentions BlueDot in rifle loads. He even tries to fool us here with half-truths - the KABOOM he mentioned was a .257 Weatherby whose owner admits to using more BlueDot than was recommended. The same thing could have happened with IMR4350 too - it was not the fault of the powder, but of the reloader. He is entitled to his opinion of course, but what about trying to fool us? Do his ends justify his means?

BlueDot in bottlenecked cases is not for everyone, nor should it be. An example from my personal use: I have owned a .338 Win Mag for many years and used it extensively for many of the 27 years I lived in Alaska on moose, bear and caribou. Now I live in SE Texas, and the biggest thing I shoot is a 120# deer or maybe a 150# hog. A .338 is overkill with anything approaching a factory load. But I love the rifle, so I searched for a reduced velocity, reduced recoil, reduced report load. I found one with BlueDot. I have great success with a 200-grain Hornady at ~2350 fps - effectively duplicating the old .33 WCF. I didn't have to buy a new rifle - as some have insisted I need to do - all I did was find a different powder. I now have an effective, accurate load with relatively low recoil and report that is perfect for what I shoot in Texas. I did it by handloading because I believe that is one of the advantages of being a handloader. In two years the load has never shown any "pressure spikes" or whatever from 45*F to 95*F.

I will continue to risk my life by using this dangerous unsafe load. Heck, it has to be unsafe if the factories didn't develop load data for it! Just like the .458 Lott in the 1990s - those fools who handloaded it without pressure data are darned lucky to be alive..... Cool

I'll keep looking for the .243 data, I thought I had it.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Google Blue Dot 243 and you will get over 20+ pages on the topic.

I didn't go through all of them to see if Seafire's load data is there but you could still PM him direct. Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I get some time, I'm going to try some Trail Boss for reduced loads.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
HotCore is notorious on other boards for dissing anybody who mentions BlueDot in rifle loads. He even tries to fool us here with half-truths - the KABOOM he mentioned was a .257 Weatherby whose owner admits to using more BlueDot than was recommended. The same thing could have happened with IMR4350 too - it was not the fault of the powder, but of the reloader. He is entitled to his opinion of course, but what about trying to fool us? Do his ends justify his means? ...
The Truth is, this is the only Hunting Board I post at. The second Truth is that Red C did not know if he put too much Blue Dot in or not which you can read about in this thread on Red Cs Blue Dot Ka-Boom. And it was a Blue Dot Load which was simply "made-up or guessed-at" using the Magic Formula. After you read the thread, you can make up your own mind about who is telling the truth.

Here is an additional thread about nearly a Blue Dot Ka-Boom which simply Locked-Up the users rifle and he had to take it to a Gun Smith. Right on the edge of a Ka-Boom.

quote:
And we have this from Ben Amonette:
We have never tested or recommended using Blue Dot for reloading rifle cartridges. We have heard of the practice and have received calls from reloaders looking for data. Our response has consistently been that we do not recommend Blue Dot be used in rifle applications due to us not having and test data to verify that it is safe. Blue Dot is a fast burning powder for rifle cartridges and pressure spikes can easily occur because of this. Thanks for your interest in contacting us and let me know if you have any additional questions. Ben Amonette, Consumer Service Manager, Alliant Powder Company.
So, if you believe you are more astute about how Powder works than the folks who make it(like our Reduced Load Blue Dot users rotflmo), and Ka-Booms do not impress you(which would make the user a complete 100% FOOL), then you should do just as TX Nimrod says and use it.

On the other hand, if your reading comprehension is good and have any sense at all, is is easy to see that using Factory Tested Reduced Loads is the way to go.

Best of luck to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bluedot just dont make sence. Reddot you would use less powder per load and save all that money your wastin by usin all that bluedot powder Roll Eyes hilbily

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent to TopCat.... to bypass Hot Core's scrutiny and baseless " Chicken Little" criticisms...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a shame that a single poster on a misconstrued "personal mission" can screw things up for everyone. Now we are not able to get the information we want on this board simply because of one man's self-righteous zeal to limit a particular kind of information.

One of the great things about the Internet is the ability to freely share information - vetted or not. It is the reader's responsibility to be safe whether he gets his data from a published manual from the sainted bullet makers, or gets it from some idiot's post. But now we have a censor who has had a negative impact on that freedom. I bet he voted for Obama.... Wink

Now I can't post any of the Bullseye loads for my .378 Weatherby.....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a shame that a single poster on a misconstrued "personal mission" can screw things up for everyone. Now we are not able to get the information we want on this board simply because of one man's self-righteous zeal to limit a particular kind of information.

ConfusedDid I miss something? Has someone been restricted from this form to post blue dot loads? shocker roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:

ConfusedDid I miss something? Has someone been restricted from this form to post blue dot loads? shocker roger

If you could read and comprehend better you would see that there was no comment made about being "restricted". I know you can do better with a little effort.

However, it's possible to get tired of the bullshit that Hotsh#t pontificates about the Blue Dot loadings time after time after time after time after time after time......get it??? Rather than do so Seafire has decided to share the results of his research directly with the OP instead of making it available to all of us here and others are lamenting the fact that they don't also get a PM, and I understand that reasoning and you can too with just a whisper more effort.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't mind posting Blue Dot loads..

and Hot Bore can huff and puff and try to blow my house down, over and over....no one really cares about the effort except Cot Hore...I mean, Hot Core..

I PM'ed the OP, for two reasons..

he is from England...
and secondly I didn't want to see some gentleman from overseas, flamed by someone whose ego rivals Charlie Sheen's....for no real valid reason...embarrassing the rest of we Americans...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
quote:
quote:

If you could read and comprehend better you would see that there was no comment made about being "restricted". I know you can do better with a little effort.

popcorn And the horse you rode in on. Roll Eyesroger

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
quote:
quote:

popcorn And the horse you rode in on. Roll Eyesroger

I knew it, I knew it.... you did better this time.....Congratulations moon moon moon

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
John

Please put me down for a Blue Dot Manual when ever you get around to one.

The 223 loads worked and performed great.

Thanks so much for the work you do. It is an invaluable service to the rest of us.

Best wishes, Bill

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Seafire's Bluedot loads a few years now to great sucess in various rifle calibres. I've been reloading nearly 30 years so do have a little knowledge on the subject too. To be honest, I'm getting more than a little bored with the chronic attack of keyboard kak from hotcore and his crusade against all bluedot users. We all know it's a fast burning powder and if you take your eye off the ball - you're fucked. Same as using bullseye in pistol cases. I've seen more than one go tits up and skyward because the reloader was disturbed/not concentrating etc. That's part and parcel of the pitfalls of reloading but we can do something about that can't we? - we pay attention. As far as I can tell, hotcore's the wet dream of all health and safety exec's.

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw another post about Blue Dot today. Hot Core (or is it cot hore?) pulled up a 7 year old post just to try to trash it. Guy must be a loon. O well, that is what the ignore function is for. To bad when you put someone on ignore they can still see your posts.
Chris112