Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE reloading woes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a hard time with my 470 NE reloading:

1. My RCBC Rockchucker press is too small. Any suggestions for a replacement single-stage press?.

2. Resizing my fired Kynoch case the decapping pin pull out of the decapping rod and sticks in the flash hole. With my Norma brass there is no problem. What do I do?. Smaller decapping pin or enlarge the flash hole?.

3. My A-Square brass (never fired) will not chamber in my gun. Tried to run them thru the re-sizer die, only to get the case stuck (twice). No such problem with my once fired A-Square brass. What brass do you recommend for reloading. I have some Federal factory ammo on the way, hopefully it is better than this other stuff I have.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
For my .470 NE I use an ammomaster press, Norma brass and RCBS dies. Frankly, using this set-up I've not had any problems. You should uniform your flash holes if your decapping pin is sticking. IMHO A- square brass is garbage and not worthy of fouling the chamber of a .470 NE. Get youself a trim die from RCBS and keep your brass proberly trimmed. My rifle is a B. Searcy Double and using the above set-up its worked just fine.
If you need more help,feel free to E-mail me.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Thanks for the info. I have heard bad things about A-Square brass before, now I see what they were talking about. Will stick with the Norma brass. One more question: Do you anneal your cases?. I'm wondering if it is really necessary. Doesn't seem like too much work, but just one more step in the reloading process.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Efryman- No I don't anneal my cases for the 470NE. They don't last long enough to bother. As they say if you can afford a 470NE then you can afford the brass! One other piece of useful info is buy a 470NE trim die from RCBS. Most case trimmers will not work and being a rimmed case you will need to use a Lathe with special attachments otherwise. My doubles also seem to stretch the brass quickly, so I've found I have to trim frequently. For full power loads I only get five or six firings/case. I then use these cases for cast lead practice rounds. Be careful as these guns can easily have head separations at full power and old brass. if you want more info feel free to E-mail me.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the single stage RCBS AmmoMaster press for my N.E. calibers....

Perhaps you need to screw the decapping pin-expander button back a bit to where it just barely punches the primer out...Back it off until it won't decap, then with case in die, turn it down until the primer pops out, then turn it one more turn and lock it up....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote