New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latex gloves while handloading.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't know if anyone else has ever worn unpowdered latex surgical gloves while handloading but I started using them recently and I really like them. Keeps the case lube from getting on my fingers and also seems to give me a better grip when de-burring necks and primer pockets. I use a new set when handling primers so not to get oil on them. It seems to give some support to my hands and lessens cramping and of course much easier cleanup.
Works for me,
BJB

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI suppose the gloves would help, but for me it would be like taking a shower with socks on! Having worked with my hands all my life I hate gloves. They just don't feel right and hinder my movement. But if it works for you go with it and who knows I might just sneak a try Wink at it.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BJB,

This is a good idea just because of the potential for lead residue. ( even from jacketed bullets ) .
I could never get used to the way they feel. ( guys know whay I'm saying here. )
A barrier cream ( from your local auto paint supplies store ) will let you wash off the residue easily after use, and keeps the lead and stuff out from under your fingernails really well.
Arretil and Glove Coat are two of the brands I have used with good results.
I still use a bristle brush and scrub well.

Just .o2 on the lead thing.
If you do alot of loading / shooting you can potentially be exposed to some lead.

Less is better than more.

My last lead test came back with a score of 26 , this is way too high , but not high enough to show any symptoms, or cause any permanent damage. OSHA gives 40 as their upper limit.

The assumed culprit in my case is breathing air from an indoor range which may not have adequate ventilation.

The ideal lead reading is ZERO, there is no amount which is good.

Travis F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blob1:
SmilerI suppose the gloves would help, but for me it would be like taking a shower with socks on! Having worked with my hands all my life I hate gloves. They just don't feel right and hinder my movement. But if it works for you go with it and who knows I might just sneak a try Wink at it.

He's not talking about cowhide roping gloves, you know.

I think surgeons wear thekind he's talking about, and do some pretty delicate work with their hands. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm doing reloading for ammo I'm going to store for any extended time I wear latex gloves. It seems to keep the brass from getting finger prints and discoloring.

hth

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While watching Modern Mavels on TV last night, I noticed that the AMU folks doing the reloading, all wore gloves.
It was nice to see our tax dollars at work. They load ammo all day for competition and snipers.

They weigh every bullet, case, and powder charge.

They turn, and ream every neck, plus mike every case.

Wonder what becomes of all that once fired brass after the practice and matches they shoot?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I wear nitrile (sp) gloves most of the time after the brass is polished, in that my skin oil makes brass oxidize rather quickly... partly due to the high jalapeno content of my diet... partly due to my acidic wit!!

the nitrile gloves last about 5times longer than latex, and seem to be much thinner

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I also use Nitrile gloves, but do have a box or two of latex as a back up.

I grew up using them on the farm though, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them on ocassion while loading lead bullets. For the past year, though, I've used "D-Lead" liquid soap to clean up after a loading session.

If I were worried about fingerprints on the brass I would wear latex gloves while shooting.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I only wear surgical gloves while I'm performing surgery...they make my hands sweat...reloading would be a nightmare if I wore them then..besides, I only reload a few thousand rounds a year! sofa

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used kitchen gloves, latex gloves and nitrile gloves for loading for years especially for handling primers as I prime at the top of my press. I also use them for loading cast bullets and cleaning brass, they are cheap, work and I just change them about every hour to deal with sweat, works for me.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've just started doing this and I like the idea. My wife gave me the idea when she was helping me fish empty cases out of my Dillon tumbler. It really helps me during the bullet seating operation, as well as priming. I hate handeling cases and components with perspriation on my hands. I have also found them to be helpful when cleaning my guns. Nothing will rust a gun quicker than sweat. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear gloves occassionally, but I prefer vinyl to latex. I haven't used the nitrile gloves. Where do you get them?

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billt:
Nothing will rust a gun quicker than sweat.

Try blood.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Autozone and harbour freight are where i get mine

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Billt,,,I have a collander,,with round holes,,it fits perfectly into a 5 gallon pail with the handles suspending it on the mouth of the bucket,,dump tumbler contents into collander,,give a few shakes,and you're done! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I did was to drill a 1/4" hole in the center of my brass separator (I have one of them "pannin' fer gold" types). I just screw it onto the bowl of my tumbler and turn over, shake out and smile. Works great!

I don't use hand protection when I reload lead slugs for my handguns. I have a bad heart and my days are numbered, so what the hell.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing is with bottlenecked cases, especially small ones like the .22-250, you still have to shake the media out of each individual case to get it all out. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJB:
Don't know if anyone else has ever worn unpowdered latex surgical gloves while handloading but I started using them recently and I really like them. Keeps the case lube from getting on my fingers and also seems to give me a better grip when de-burring necks and primer pockets. I use a new set when handling primers so not to get oil on them. It seems to give some support to my hands and lessens cramping and of course much easier cleanup.
Works for me,
BJB

It sounds like a good idea as long as you don't wear the gloves too long. Rubber or latex, vinyls, Nitrile, etc. gloves concentrate your sweat around your hands, and in time bacteria grows around the cuticles. Once that happens you will notice very small but painful cracks by the corners of your fingernails. If this happens, wash your hands regularly with an antibacterial soap, and if that is not enough to take care of the problem, work Neosporin into the cracks after washing your hands thoroughly. You will have to do that for approximately a week of vary painful moments.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
.... I have a bad heart and my days are numbered, so what the hell.
Hey Rootbeer, Darn shame about that. Maybe you can get on one of those "Swap-Out" programs and get a slightly used model. A close buddy of mine in Raleigh just got one and he is doing extremely well.

Of course, then you would have to worry about all the bullets you touched!!!
---

Interesting idea about the gloves. I've never worn them in five decades of reloading. But, I do see some advantages to wearing them.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that RB, keep on keepin' on anyway! thumb

Wear high quality cotton gloves quite a bit for loading, latex for rolling paper patch. You'd be pleased to know I haven't turned my tumbler on it over 10 years.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBF:
BJB,

My last lead test came back with a score of 26 , this is way too high , but not high enough to show any symptoms, or cause any permanent damage. OSHA gives 40 as their upper limit.

The assumed culprit in my case is breathing air from an indoor range which may not have adequate ventilation.

Travis F.

Travis,

If indeed you are at 26 micrograms/deciliter you need to shoot somewhere else! I have only known one person that high and he was a leadburner. (lead welder) After six months of 12 hour a day, six days a week he would get to the 20 range and the company would stop the leadburning for six months and he would be back to 5 - 10..........

I spent a "campaign" of lead exposure three years back testing point configuration, hollow point shape........I was filing and drilling lead everyday. I shot every day, (no exaggeration) casting bullets as well, mixing in shotgun shooting when I had time.......... This went on for a six or eight month period....

I started wondering about lead...... It was on me everyday... It finally worked on me enough to go for a blood test. My reading came back less than 5........ Lowest on the chart.

Travis, I would change where I was shooting as a polite opinion.....

Best, BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find gloves to be a nusiance when reloading and thus don't wear them except for loading cases with bullets that I've moly coated myself. That moly rubs off easily and quickly makes your fingers very dirty, so I do wear gloves while loading those bullets.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They go pretty good with lace panties I suspect!! sofa beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ray,
ughh..

you trying to put me off my feed? the mental image of you with blue gloves and lace panties on...

LMFAO

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to get used to gloves while using cleaning solvents and even that feels difficult,

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I started wondering about lead...... It was on me everyday... It finally worked on me enough to go for a blood test. My reading came back less than 5........ Lowest on the chart.

My brother-in-law was telling me that lead had to be in a certain "form"? to be "taken in" by humans. He's a Dr of something but not health or metals.
I read a news article couple of days ago that reckoned we were getting poisoned by breathing in some metal in our shower water. . . Magnesium or something. Guess we're all doomed.

JOhn L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reached my Pb quota eating paint as a child. On a more serious note tho, I cast bullets and shoot smallbore at an indoor range for months at a time, so I chose to have blood work done. The medicos told me that my Pb levels were negligable.
What prompted this response tho was reading about rootbeer's case tumbler. Who knows how much Pb has been soaked up by the cleaning media from primers, let alone any other source. Every time a batch of clean cases is sifted from the tumbler, all that media has yet again been exposed to the air in the confines one is using. I'll bet most of us don't have adequate ventilation unless we're working out in the garage.
Just a nagging thought...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesWell each to his own on the gloves and I wasn't talking about cowhide roping gloves either. But if it works for you -go for it! As far as guys knowing how it feels to fondle a bullet-well don't know about all that! Eeker Eeker Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
After working as a printer using lead type for 15 years, I don't think reloading would even come close to that.

Not only did I handle it, I remelted it.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerBill Mc you would have to have drank about a quart a lead paint a day for it to equal the Feds guidelines on lead posioning. But it is a good point for them to work on--to eliminate all bullets because of the 12376759887645587654433277236262626626262532289899 to 1 chance of lead comtamination of reloadoing. Hummmmmm guess Ted Kennedy hasn't thought of it yet!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to hot and sweaty for me. I put those things on and I get that hot clammy, slimy feeling.....can't get 'em off fast enough.
You wanna see something funny as hell...watch somebody that doesn't know they are allergic to latex put a pair on. Makes 'em swellup like a little hippo..........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote