THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Small Primers v Large Primers In The 6.5 Creedmore

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Primers v Large Primers In The 6.5 Creedmore
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I was given a few fired cases for this cartridge.

I was surprised to find a few cases, by Lapua, with small primers.

The others were Hornady with large primers.

I thought it might be an idea to use both with the same loads and see if there is any difference in accuracy.

The small primers don’t like ball powders.

H380 and H414 all had hangfire, but still shot well.

I will post results once I am done.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you should try Magtech #7 1/2 small rifle primers in those cases. I was having ignition issues with a 45LC load using 454 cases trimmed to 45LC length with 335 grain GC cast bullets and 23.5 grains of H110. These Magtech primers were the ticket to get a load, 1193 ft./sec out of my custom Ruger Vaquero. The reason for using 454 Casull brass is because the recoil was so harsh that the bullets would jump crimp and lock the cyl with 45LC brass.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Try Small Rifle Magnum primers with the ball powder.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 444 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
Saeed, you should try Magtech #7 1/2 small rifle primers in those cases. I was having ignition issues with a 45LC load using 454 cases trimmed to 45LC length with 335 grain GC cast bullets and 23.5 grains of H110. These Magtech primers were the ticket to get a load, 1193 ft./sec out of my custom Ruger Vaquero. The reason for using 454 Casull brass is because the recoil was so harsh that the bullets would jump crimp and lock the cyl with 45LC brass.

I shoot a pretty hot load like that, I run 24.0 of H110 with my cast 315 wfn and I have used all sorts of brass from different manufacturers.
I shoot it out of my Redhawk 45acp/45Colt with a 4.2" barrel and I'm right at 1190- 1215 fps, I have never had any issues but I agree that the recoil is sharp.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't some of the 'magic' of the .22 Cheetah due to it using a small rifle primer? Is the supposed advantage due to a smaller primer pocket area being able to handle higher pressures or perhaps less violent ignition? The bench rest folks would probably know about this.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Small pistol primers in the 22 Hornet was supposed to be the hot ticket. Didn't work for me at all. Magnum or otherwise. But my buddy's rifle loved them.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 666 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the same thing only with both the LR and SR being Lapua brass.

I didn't see any accuracy difference, but other than Staball 6.5 powder, I didn't try any ball powders.

I did see some SD differences between the SR and LR on chronograph, but not consistently. I figured I would need to shoot 100 rounds of each to get a statistically significant finding there.

Similar findings using .308 Lapua brass with SR and LR primers.

The only nice thing about the SR brass was for a while I was having issues finding large rifle primers and it allowed me to shoot my 6.5 CM and various .308 rifles without having to worry about it.

Note that the SR primed stuff I needed to get a smaller primer punch pin to decap them...

Posts: 10594 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is I am getting hangfire with H4895 and H4350 with small primers.

Not as bad as with H380, where every Roy do was hangfire.

I think around 30% didn’t go off as planned.

I will post results tomorrow.

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't have any issues with hangfires.

What primers are you using? I used Federal GM match LR and SR as well as CCI #41 military primers.

To have that many is very odd. The whole idea was that a bunch of match shooters thought the small primer was more consistent and worked for better accuracy.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua, the kissing' cousin of the 6.5 Creedmoor. The developers of the Lapua cartridge determined the better choice was a small rifle primer. Whether this was based on its ability to handle higher pressures or inherent accuracy, I don't know. I do know, however, that I've shot thousands of 6.5x47 cartridges loaded primarily with H4350 and also StaBall 6.5 and have never, ever had a misfire or hang fire with small rifle primers. I've used CCI 450, Rem 7 1/2, Federal Match, and Russian small rifle magnum primers and all have worked. The Creedmoor takes about 1-2 grains more powder than the Lapua and the small rifle magnum primer should work well.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I didn't have any issues with hangfires.

What primers are you using? I used Federal GM match LR and SR as well as CCI #41 military primers.

To have that many is very odd. The whole idea was that a bunch of match shooters thought the small primer was more consistent and worked for better accuracy.

This whole exercise was to see if there is any accuracy advantage.

Nothing else.

I do have CCI, Federal, Winchester as well as RWS primers.

For this to be accurate, I used only RWS primers.

I will get the targets back from the shooting tunnel today and post the results.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rifle is STRASSER RS SOLO, KAHLES K 624i scope.
Groups are 5 shots at 100 yards.

Brass, small primers were Lapua.

Large primers were Hornady.

Primers all RWS.

RWS 4033 and RWS 5333.

37.0 H414 small 0.648 large 0.564
38.0 1.020 0.621

33.0 H4895 0.813 0.545
34.0 0.658 0.536
35.0 0.584 0.670

33.0 Reloader 15 0.483 0.697
34.0 0.522 0.755
35.0 1.393 0.596

38.0 H4350 0.538 0.400
39.0 0.810 0.467

38.0 VVN 160 1.075 0.526
39.0 0.575 1.045
40.0 0.749 0.899

35.0 H380 0.879 0.753
36.0 1.039 0.846
37.0 1.294 1.030

First group with each charge is small primers.

Second is with large primers.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
16, 5 shot groups with various powders.

Average for small primers is 0.8175
Average for large primers is 0.6844

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hah!

So much for the small primers are more accurate theorists.

Very interesting, Saeed.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Hah!

Very interesting, Saeed.

+1
Very accurate rifle, too (but it always helps if the one pulling the trigger can shoot).

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Hah!

Very interesting, Saeed.

+1
Very accurate rifle, too (but it always helps if the one pulling the trigger can shoot).

I found that all European made rifles lately are very accurate.

They are expensive, compared to run of the mill made in America, but they do shoot extremely well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been the same, at least with the Steyr, Anschutz, Heckler & Koch and Blaser factory rifles that I own and shoot.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot my CZs.

They are seemingly underrated, but I have found them, both their rimfires and centerfires, to be uniformly very accurate.

Mike