Find
Notify
Tools

OK, 'fess up
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of redial
posted
Having spent most of the weekend doing the reloading equivalent of a root canal - trimming brass, I gotta wonder. How many of you guys really do this and how many just play along?

I haven't had to sit and trim since the first Bush administration (got lots of brass hoarded) so I'd forgotten what a perfect friggin joy this is. Got lots of help from my 5-year-old and an excited dog, too.

Have I just gotten spoiled with progessive presses, spray-on case lube and all the other labor-saving developments of the last few years?

You can respond anonymously if you're one of the slackers, but I'm curious to see how prevalent either argument is.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the handle off, and put on a variable speed electric drill.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes, i always trim my cases back to the minimum each time i reload them. the reloading equivilent of a root canal is the best description i've ever heard. combine trimming, deburring, and cleaning primer pockets and it really sucks. i know they make labor saving devices for all this but i don't have any yet. for now, as my wife says, i wouldn't be happy if i didn't have something to bitch about. cheers...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't load for handguns, so I don't have a large number of those cases to deal with. But I load for numerous bottleneck rifle cartridges (.223, 6mm Rem., 25/06, .260 Rem., .270, 30/06, 300 Weatherby, .375 H&H, and sometimes others) and I trim the cases every time I load them.

I use the Lee case trimming system. But before trimming the cases I clean the primer pockets by using the Lee tool put into a 1/4 inch electric drill. After doiing that to all the cases I'm going to deal with at that session, I put the shell holder to the Lee case trimming system (it's different from the shell holder used in the loading press or the one used in the priming tool) in that 1/4 inch electric drill, and use that to spin the cases. The case is trimmed by putting the case length gauge, with the trimmer attached, through the mouth of the case and through the primer hole until it touches the shell holder. You hold that assembly still within the spinning case, and keep trimming until it won't cut any more. After trimming, I chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth while the case is still being spun by the electric drill, using the RCBS/Wilson tool, and then clean the case by wiping it (while spinning) with a cloth onto which I've sprayed Remington Bore Cleaner.

I highly recommend the Lee case trimming system. Its only disadvantage is that it's not adjustable for length -- you trim the cases to the length that the Case Length Gauge gives you, and you need a specific Case Length Gauge for every cartridge you load for (e.g., 308, 30/06, 300 Winchester Mag., and 300 Weatherby each require a different Case Length Gauge). But the lengths of the finished cases come out all the same, so you have consistency, which is the final goal, isn't it?

I agree with you that it's an unpleasant chore, but I do think that the method I use is the most efficient and least time consuming one available.

[ 11-25-2002, 23:33: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I do it each time I reload. I trim, deburr, and chamfer all at once, usually, by using one of the RCBS 3-way trim heads on my RCBS power case trimmer. If I don't use a 3-way trimmer, I trim on the power trimmer and then use the power RCBS Case Prep center.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee system, and it works fine. It may have limitations, but they are not apparent to me with my few hundred cases per year.

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim only when a case is over-length. Most factory chambers are large in every dimension, including length of the neck, so I even go a bit beyond "book" length if I know my actual chamber will accomodate it. Since I only neck size (with most calibers), my cases don't "grow" very fast and I usually get several loadings out of a case before trimming is necessary.

I threw away the crank handle and chucked the cutter in an electric drill years ago. Actually, even less entertaining than trimming is the necessary chamfering afterward.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
X-dies and collet dies. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
first loading, I tirm to minimum.. and measure them as they go along... I only trim when they are close to max, and then trim down... 3 to 5 reloadindgs seem to be about right. tedeious, but worth it.
jeffe

Posts: 38566 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I don't trim nearly as often as I used to. I don't load pistol ammo, so bottleneck rifle cartridges are my area of experience. I bought a few little "guages" from Sinclair International to actually guage how long the neck area of my chambers are; and I trim within .025 of that dimension instead of what the "book" says. When the cases get closer than .02 I start trimming. I use two trimmers, the Forster and an RCBS, both have good points and both are very good.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a lazy guy and I only trim when I have to.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The folks at Lee claim that if you use their "Factory Crimp" die that case trimming is only necessary when the max length is reached. I've used one with a couple of calibers and I've found it to make velocities very consistant. Does anyone else have this experience?

[ 11-26-2002, 04:45: Message edited by: judgeg ]

Posts: 7589 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I enjoy the reloading process. I trim every case after sizing.

<waldog>
posted
I'll admit it. I hardly never trim my cases. Infact the case trimmer that sits in the middle of my bench is the most infrequently used piece of equiptment I own. I do plenty of shooting and reloading, but I neck size and partial neck size on most everything. Cases often crack before they need a second or third trimming! Maybe I'll do more FL sizing just to get my moneys worth out of that tool.... [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim when brass reaches its maximum. I trim back to the minimum using both a Foster and Lee system. I use the Lee for volume jobs, and the Foster for small lots or wildcats, except for my 416/404. I had Lee make me a trim stud for this. It really is nice, and they do it for a very reasonable cost and quickly. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim initially, then let it go until they grow to within .005" of the throat, then all get trimmed after each sizing to that length. I'd pay a school kid to do it for me if I could catch one. [Big Grin]

I use a Forrester trimmer w/cordless and the RCBS Prep Center for the other fun.

Who's gonna design the case feed auto trimmer/deburer for us?

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with LE270 �bout the Lee system, I have used it for years and never use anything else than the process he describes. I do not agree that the Lee system can�t be adjusted for length though, just put a shim (small washer)the same outside diameter as the stud between the stud and the handle (or use bedding compund), easy. I check the chambers of my rifles for actual allowable case length, my 7RM is exactly to specs., my .375 allow cases to be 0,5mm longer than max. according to the specifications. Then I set the Lee assembly to trim the case back 0,2 mm from max. in my chamber and check the cases after each reloading. They seem to need trimming when fired three or four times, depending on load and wether I size them to minimum dimensions or to just fit my chamber. I think trimming the cases to short in relation to the actual length of your chamber is detrimental to accuracy. And no, I don�t enjoy it either!

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
allways trimmed rifle cases after ever third shot. Never did pistol cases until I got the rcbs power pro trimmer that thing takes all the work out of it. It turned my most hated job into a piece of cake I even use it to make .41 special cases out of .41 mags and when my .44 mag brass starts to split it now becomes good .44 special brass

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I certainly appreciate all the replies. I'll bet there are plenty more who never trim who didn't come forward.

Lots of great suggestions and it appears that electricity has to be involved somehow. Funny no one mentioned file dies, so I won't either.

It seems that if some technical wizard would invent a trimmer gazornahickey less costly than Dillon's he'd sell a million of 'em. I'd buy TWO.

Vielen Dank!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<cs>
posted
I used to use the Lee trimmers, but the case mouths always came out somewhat less than square. I thought it was just a bent pilot, but all the calibers I bought for did the same thing. I decided to say to hell with it. I'm not a high volume reloader (not by this board's standards) and I am always trying new brass, so I haven't done it in a while. I also always try to use bullets w/out a cannelure, so as long as the resized brass fits my rifle's chamber (I do try each and every case) I don't worry about it.
As soon as I recover from my latest hunting trip I am planning on buying a real trimmer setup, but this may be awhile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cs:
I used to use the Lee trimmers, but the case mouths always came out somewhat less than square. I thought it was just a bent pilot, but all the calibers I bought for did the same thing.

I'm puzzled by that statement because it has seemed to me that one of the virtues of the Lee system is that it squares off the case mouths. It seems to me that the only possibility of its failing to do so would occur when the flash hole is not in the center of the case base, and this would be a defect in the manufacture of the case itself. By what means are you checking whether your case mouths are square? If they are not, is the flash hole on those cases located somewhere other than in the center of the case's base (or head)?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
I load several thousand 44mag bullets each year,and haven't had to trim a singel one. My die has a terrible defect,when you crimp the bullet and the shell is too long it cuts off any excess brass. [Smile] Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady sizing dies for rifle calibers and found if I chuck the expander pins in a drill press and polish them with simmichrome polish, I can reload 2-3 times before I need to trim again.

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never trimmed handgun cases. I trim my rifle cases after three reloadings. I also use the Lee case trimmer system with an electric drill.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim when I reach max length using the Lee system as modified by a friend. He devised the system and was nice enough to make one for me.  -  -
This is a one inch square by four inch long block of steel. Drill press fit holes for the Lee chamfer tools and a slip fit hole for the cutter locked down with a 3/8" coarse thread bolt. I chuck the case holder in a drill and trim to my hearts content. Sure makes the root canal a little less painful!
Regards
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
cricker,

I hope you didn't mind me taking the liberties to post your pictures. Maybe this will help.

-

-

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Uh, gee... whatcha want for that doo-dad? [Wink]

That looks like a near-perfect set up! I certainly appreciate you sharing that since I'll surely plagiarize it ....

Thanks!

Redial

<Hunter333>
posted
Le 270 and others, glad to see that I am not the only one using the Lee system every time I load a round. Cricker, can I get one of those set ups for Christmas? My hands get sore holding each piece need and your setup looks pretty dang cool! Seriously, if you care to share the measurements, I could get the shop class at the school I teach at to make me one. Guess I can bring in the pic and materials and have them figure it out [Smile] That is the best way to learn afterall! I think that time and effort it takes me to load each round makes it that much sweeter when I shoot MY rounds. But when I wait too long and have a lot of brass to prep, sometimes it seems like a real pain in the butt! That is until I look at the price of average ammo at the store [Smile]

<1badassmagnum>
posted
I've been loading new brass which has all been under my maximum case lengh.guess you guys just discouraged me from case trimming!
although my case trimming pilots will probably not show up anyway lol [Razz]

<David Quick>
posted
Yep... I trim EVERY time I reload my various rifle cartridges.. That way it doesn't stack up on me so bad... I use the Lee trimmers, usually chucked in a cordless drill, and sometimes with the little Zip Trim tool, but again, yes I do trim each time, followed by a trip through the various stations on my RCBS case prep. station...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter333:
Le 270 and others, glad to see that I am not the only one using the Lee system every time I load a round. Cricker, can I get one of those set ups for Christmas? My hands get sore holding each piece need and your setup looks pretty dang cool! Seriously, if you care to share the measurements, I could get the shop class at the school I teach at to make me one. Guess I can bring in the pic and materials and have them figure it out [Smile] That is the best way to learn afterall! I think that time and effort it takes me to load each round makes it that much sweeter when I shoot MY rounds. But when I wait too long and have a lot of brass to prep, sometimes it seems like a real pain in the butt! That is until I look at the price of average ammo at the store [Smile]

I am unsure of the exact diameter of the holes drilled. The chamfer tools are a tight press fit. the knurling on the tool is what holds them in place. If I remember correctly, I used a plastic mallet to seat them. The cutter slides in with no resistance and is held by a locking bolt. This way you can adjust how far it extends from the block.
By using what little info I have and the pictures I am sure a highschool shop class could have ball with this project.
Regards
Rick [Big Grin]

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my 45 years of reloading I loaded things in massive quantities, i.e. several hundred rounds almost always, and some of my reloading projects were several THOUSAND rounds. Obviously loading those numbers, if I trimmed every time, I would never get anything loaded.
Nor do I think in the real world trimming is necessary each time. I have NEVER trimmed a pistol case and never intend to.

What I have always done is just periodically check case length of my brass and let IT tell me when I need to trim. When I get near max length, then I'll do it. Obviously it's not the same cartridge from cartridge. But my point is I sure don't go looking for an excuse to trim cases. If I were into benchrest, I might worry about it.

I'm with you, Redial. Trimming cases is very much like a root canal. [Frown]

[ 12-03-2002, 16:01: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well i will fess up i dont have to size my 338wm cases .for some reason they dont stretch .i check each time . i only load 4 times on them .But for the 308 and 3006 i have to each time what a chore but fun and rewarding though . Bob [Big Grin]

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
I trim brand new cases, and thereafter only when one of the batch approaches published maximum (then the whole batch gets trimmed).

The lee trimmer works fine for me. I like the Lee collet sizing die too. Haven't tried an X die yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must say as bad as i hate it i all ways
trim my cases ,clean the flash hole,primer pockets
clean and square.all though i have some tools that make it real fast.i have used every thing and found these tool from Sinclair to work the best.First you need a hand drill or drill press.
After resizeing or neck sizeing ,I use a EJS Kwick
Case Trimmer,trimmer is placed in a drill or hand
and case is slid in and held in place by hand
a few turns and youre done trimming,much faster
than the lee.I can trim 1000 cases 1 hour.
Then i use a Sinclair primer pocket uniformers
witch squares the pocket and cleans the primer
pocket all in one step,Also uses a drill.
Then i use a forster case mouth deburring tool
along with a Sinclair case mouth deburring tool holder and the use of a drill, this takes care of
the burrs and bevels case mouths.If i have the brass sized i can do 1000 rds in a hour,
these tool are all bought for less than 70.00
at www.sinclairintl.com
or (219)493-1858

Reloaderlen

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I use Dillon rapid Trimmer RT 1200 , sizes, trims and removes burrs for each stroke. usually , I trim 500 cases in less than 2 hours.
kind of great tool when talking about saving time..HTH

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote