New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win Mag Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired a Ruger 77 in 458 Win Mag. I have researched the forum and found a few things both positive and negative about this caliber. My question, is it reasonable for me to expect to hand load 500 gr soft & solids @ 2150 fps or greater without over stressing anything. I plan on using this rifle on a buf hunt I have scheduled in 2010. Any help from those of you experienced in this caliber would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 42 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 04 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good results with H-335 powder. 2150 fps with the solids and softs hitting the same point of impact at 100 yards. A Lee crimp die and two seater dies are a real asset. One die for the soft and one for the solid. Crimping separately.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vithavouri 540 and you will do 2150 with the 500grainers no problem.It is also the most accurate powder.Don't try Reloader 7 because the high pressure will cause issues.I think H4898 is also a good choice.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the two seaters, Walter?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help with the hot and heavy, but trailboss works for 400gr lead practice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
Why the two seaters, Walter?

I am guessing that he has one seater set up for the Soft and one for the Solid.

So he does not have to fiddle about with die adjustment when switching between the two different bullets.

A great plan, by the way. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I use the two seaters to avoid having to make adjustments every time I change from loading softs to loading solids . I crimp seperately using a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

If you make a mistake with seating depth, bullet pulling and resizing are necessary. Two seaters avoids a lot of monkeying around.

Regards,

Walter

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is reasonable for you to expect 2150 from a 500 grain bullet.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently working up loads for a friend. I have never before loaded the .458 WM. He wants to use woodleigh bullets. I have some test loads in: W 748, H 335, and IMR 3031. Any other suggestions? I will be shooting for the magical 2125-2150 fps. through a 22 inch barrel with 500 gr.bullets. Is this realistic without severe compression?

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A whole day and no responses?

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not with W748.Too much compression.I have not tried the other two.I tried AA 2230 and got the velocity without compression but it's not the most accurate.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were loads posted here on AR using AA2230
and H4895. 22" barrel will make it more difficult.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with 72 gr of IMR-4895 under 500 grain Hornadys. I haven't chronographed them, but recoil is stout.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote