THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Hoppe's No 9 bore solvent contain Amonia?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A barrel Manufacturer says not to leave amonia in your barrel over an extended period of time. And some barrel cleaners contain amonia. But hoppes no 9 doesnt give ingredients. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judging by the smell and it's ineffectiveness at removing copper fouling,I don't believe it contains much if any ammonia.On the other hand sweets 7.62 and barnes cr-10 both contain a high percentage of ammonia and both are great at removing copper fouling.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Hoppes #9 will remove copper every bit as effectively as Sweets or any other solvent on the market. It just takes forever if you have a severe fouling problem. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I believe Hoppes Benchrest has a small ammount of ammonia.
#9 is mainly set up for powder fouling and I don't think it contains any ammonia.
I love the smell of #9,I could use it for after shave, but there's better cleaners available these days especially for copper fouling.

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hoppes #9 will remove copper every bit as effectively as Sweets or any other solvent on the market.

Thats like saying that you can dig a basement with a hand held shovel just as effectively as with a backhoe.Sweets or cr-10 will remove as much copper fouling in a few minutes as #9 will by soaking for days.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True,
But Sweets or CR10 do a crummy job on powder fouling, I recommend you use both #9 and one of the copper solvents or use Shooters choice or butch's which both seem to do both well.

regards,
graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post

You forgot Shooters Choice, Montana Extreme,Wipeout,Outers Foul Out device on and on.

I love Hoppes for memories it brings back and for shotguns and rimfires, but there's just much better tools available these days.

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Hoppe's Benchrest for overnihgt soaking. I don't think it has a strong ammonia content, at least it doesn't smell like it. But, after sitting all night, it does get a lot of bad stuff out of the barrel. I use Butch's the rest of the time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using montana x-treme for several cleanings now, and it is outstanding at removing both. Let it sit for 10 minutes, run a brass brush though with montana x-treme the same number of times that you have fired, do the process over again once, and I bet virtually all the copper and powder are removed. VERY little work required.

However, when using the bronze brushes your patches will most definitely be blue, but after the process I stated above and after dry patching, if you use a nylon brush again with the montana, I bet you don't see much of a trace of anything. Remember, follow up with the oil and neutralize the brass brush after use.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Barnes and Sweets (not together). Both work well, but be sure to get all traces out of your barrel afterwards.
I do so by using Kroil afterwards. That stuff would neutralize sin. If you use Barnes or Sweets don't use bronze bristle brushes with them. It'll destroy the bristles in short order. To compound the problem your patches will come out blue/green making you think you're removing copper when you're just removing the bristles themselves. The best thing about Hoppes No.9 solvent is the smell. Most shooters love it. I wouldn't mind seeing it marketed as a perfume. A drop behind each ear, and the guys would go crazy. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hoppes #9 does a good job with powder fouling and it does remove copper but at an unaceptably slow pace! I use it to prep my barrels. I remove the powder first, then begin with Sweets, CR-10, etc. I've been experimenting with Wipe Out also. That seems the way to go. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hoppes #9 does a good job with powder fouling and it does remove copper but at an unaceptably slow pace!

Yeah, it's slow, (#9, yellow label) but it is VERY gentle to barrel steel, unlike many other products. After a general powder cleaning, I just swab my barrel with a wet patch and leave it in the rack overnight. Swab with a dry patch (it'll be very green), swab with a wet patch, repeat for a week until dry patch comes out clean. It takes about a week, but I rarely shoot the same rifle more than once a week, and it only takes 2 minutes or so a day!

The #9 benchrest (black label) seems to work faster initially (5-15 minute soakings) but I see no differnece in overnight treatments. YMMV!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The best thing about Hoppes No.9 solvent is the smell. Most shooters love it. I wouldn't mind seeing it marketed as a perfume. A drop behind each ear, and the guys would go crazy. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

But do you realy want to attract the guys

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Why don't you quote the whole statement like the part where I said it takes "forever"? It removes copper as well as anything if you have the time to use it and more importantly it would'nt hurt the metal in a thousand years.

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why don't you quote the whole statement like the part where I said it takes "forever"? It removes copper as well as anything if you have the time to use it

Like I said,just like digging a basement with a hand shovel.It can be done if you are willing to spend enough time at it.However most of us aren't willing to waste that much time especially if you want to shoot the gun in the near future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A barrel Manufacturer says not to leave amonia in your barrel over an extended period of time. And some barrel cleaners contain amonia. But hoppes no 9 doesnt give ingredients. thanks

A few years ago I called Hoppes and asked about this. They sent me the - hope I remember this right - the MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet that lists ingredients.

Yes, Hoppes #9 does contain a small amount of ammonia, plus a lot of kerosene, BTW.

I'm curious - why do folks argue about stuff that can be settled with one phone call?

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote