THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Couple questions, one about how old this powder is , and the caliber 25x350 rem mag

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple questions, one about how old this powder is , and the caliber 25x350 rem mag
 Login/Join

posted
i already posted this on another board, but perhaps you guys might have some more info
i just came across a huge reloading score

and this suprised me quite a bit

its hodgon 4831 and the powder still looks great

i have 6 or 7 pounds of it, and it looks to all be still sealed

second

does anyone have any info on this caliber 25x350 rem mag?

a good friend of my dads past away and we ended up with this rifle and ton of reloading stuff

iv went thru hid data book, but nothing for other calibers. So the only data i have right now is what listed on top of the ammo box

anyways here are some pictures

all his daughter was able to tell us was that its a custom gun that he was working on

the only markings on it are

MAG 34868

here are some pics of it (im no photography expert)

the gun is beautiful

this is the only data we can find that he had

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornVery close in performance to the 25-06.Reasonable safe starting loads might be about 5% above .257 Roberts recommended loads and than work up. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surplus Hodgdon 4831 is a great powder. I have never seen any go bad, but since it is now in excess of 60 years old and yours could have been stored in adverse conditions, check it for indications of deterioration like red dust or acrid smell. I'm stingily rationing the last of my stock of surplus 4831 and it shoots every bit as well as the day it came out of Bruce Hodgdon's grain silo. Its burning characteristics are very close to the currently manufactured H4831, so you can use that data as a guide.

The .25-.350 magnum is almost identical to the .25-284 in capacity (the .350 case has perhaps a grain more). As Bartsche says, it is also virtually the same as the case capacity of the .25-06, so starting loads for that cartridge can be used.

The rifle in the photo looks very much like an H&R built on an FN Mauser action with the stock fore end slightly modified. However, since no markings are visible in the photo, it could be anyone's M98 commercial Mauser copy -- Zastava, Santa Barbara, or others.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
MY first bag of IMR 4895 came from Hodgdon's in a brown paper sandwich bag!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornVery close in performance to the 25-06.Reasonable safe starting loads might be about 5% above .257 Roberts recommended loads and than work up. beerroger

what roger said .. though i would probably just use 2506 starting loads

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39710 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

The stock is a Fajen Aristocrat and was available to gunsmiths and hobbyists/amateurs for many years.

It could have been made by almost anyone.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote