New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .30-30 170-grainer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For use in a .30-30 Win. or .30 Rem. on game up to the largest you would consider hunting with this cartridge (but specifically for really big whitetails), which would you choose:

Sierra 170 flat point
Remington Core-Lokt 170 RNSP
Hornady 170 flat point
Nosler Partition 170 RN?

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
Years ago I used 150gr Nozler Partitions with good results,can't get them anymore. I have used core-lock's with good results also.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Nosler Partition 170 grain bullet in the .30-30 and it was excellent. On the other had, so was the Speer 150 grain FP. I think that for whitetails, the higher velocity of the 150 grain bullet is better.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the old Nosler 170 gr boattail

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
John, I personally use the Speer 130 grain flat point.

If I had to pick a 170 grain I would pick whatever is most cost efficient/accurate as performance is about the same for all.------------Chainsaw

[This message has been edited by Chainsaw (edited 01-22-2002).]

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Makes no difference...

Get whatever is the cheapest, because at 75 yards, or less, they all do the same thing.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Sooner>
posted
John, Of those choices, I would have to choose the Hornadies, I don't really know why but thats what I would use. Now in my opinion the best bullets for the old 30-30 are the 150 gr and 165 gr Barnes "X" flat nose.

Sooner

one of us
posted Hide Post
You left out the Speer 175 gr. flat point. If and when I need a jacketed bullet in the 30-30, then I use that one. Hoever, I mostly use cast lead bullets. For deer, they work just as well and are a lot cheaper.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whichever one shoots best in your particular rifle. The 0ld 30-30 has been around long enough now that just about every manufacturer has figured out how to make a good bullet for it. I see you are concentrating on the 170 gr. Never did understand why anyone familiar with the catridge would shoot 150s unless their particular rifle wouldn't shoot 170s.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote