New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powders for bushmaster 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been loading since '65, but only for single shots and bolt rifles. Which are the best powders for AR's. About to start loading for my son-in-law's bushmaster (223)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several AR's that I am loading for. The powders I use most are CFE, H4895 and Varget. I have used 748 and Benchmark for a few loads.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
AA2460 & AA2230.

Probably 80% with the AA2230 (as in 223 Wink)

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use what our boy in arms use.

WC844

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Win 748

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I use what our boy in arms use.

WC844

I use both 844 and 846.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
H335 or blc2 err i meant wc844 or 846.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did some powder comparisons in my 5.56 ARs.

In order of decreasing group size:

748 > BL(C) 2 > H335 > AA2200 > RL-15

I use AA2200 for 55 gr stuff bulk loaded on a Dillon 1050, and RL-15 for 60 NPTs, 69 gr SMKs, and 77 gr SMKs.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'm currently using H335. But, I bought an 8 lb jug of TAC when all the shortage madness started, which was all I could get at the time.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BlC2 and TAC

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've got some good groups with RL-7 and 55gr.
It's on the fast side.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
When it comes to loading for semi-automatic gas guns (Direct impingement, not piston driven), cleanliness is something to take into consideration.

For example, ball powders like Winchester 748 and Hodgdon H335 are excellent both in terms of velocity and accuracy in the 223 Remington. HOWEVER they are "dirty" powders to burn and will quickly make a mess of your son's semi-auto action.

For this reason, I use Western's TAC and Hodgdon's Benchmark in my gas guns. Much, much cleaner burning and no loss in velocity or accuracy potential. Very consistent and temperature stable powders.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
When it comes to loading for semi-automatic gas guns (Direct impingement, not piston driven), cleanliness is something to take into consideration.

For example, ball powders like Winchester 748 and Hodgdon H335 are excellent both in terms of velocity and accuracy in the 223 Remington. HOWEVER they are "dirty" powders to burn and will quickly make a mess of your son's semi-auto action.

For this reason, I use Western's TAC and Hodgdon's Benchmark in my gas guns. Much, much cleaner burning and no loss in velocity or accuracy potential. Very consistent and temperature stable powders.

I used one pound of Win 748 and noticed the same thing, it's extremely dirty burning. In my AR, after about 50 rounds, it started misfiring due to gunk and grung!

I'm now using Varget with pretty decent results between accuracy and gunk build up.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I reload for a Bushmaster 20" Varminter with a 1-8" twist barrel. I load 69 gr SMK's with 25.3 gr of Varget. They shoot MOA or less with ease.