New
Find
Notify
Tools

130 or 140 in .270 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'll be handloading the .270 WSM for Whitetails Which bullet weight do you suggest 130 or 140 ??? Thanks.

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed deer with 130, 140, and 150gr bullets with the .270 Winchester. Probably my favorite .277 bullet is the 140gr Nosler BT, probably because it shoots so darn good. It might be a good place for you to start.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
a couple of thoughts,

I love to eat venison. So most of my effort in taking deer has become the preservation of edible meat.
What range are you shooting. Usually anything over 2800 fps on impact and under a 100 yds leads to bloodshot meat in my experience. With 130's your probably going to get in excess of 3200 fps muzzle and with 140's, in excess of 3100.

At said velocities, a 200 yd zero will work equally well for either bullet weight.

Also bullet frangibility is worth considering.

Nosler ballistic tips and Sierra Spitzers are more frangible and do more damage to meat in my experience. I've never experience bullet failure with these, but many times you do not get pass throughs. If its thick where you hunt and animals are not DRT, not having a blood trail can present a problem when trying to track.

Sierra HPBT game kings in 140gr., as well as Nosler accubonds and Barnes TSX in either 130 or 140 gr. will result in less meat damage and complete pass throughs (helps if you have to blood track).

I'd say ulitmately its what trips your trigger
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 130 and 140 BT's, and AB's for 270Win and go the route of 140 and 150gr offerings for the 270WSM.

For non trophy deer I found the Sierra Game King (or Pro-Hunter -- can't remember and don't have the box w me) shoot tiny groups, are relativelt inexpensive, and are damn effective on deer in both the 270 Win and 270WSM...

I would go AB if it were a trophy hunt.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I used 150 Power points for a couple years with alot of lead in the meat. I switched to 140 grn Accubonds 3 years ago and I think they do a better job of holding together.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My short answer is whichever shoots better. For whitetails in this caliber and cartridge the difference is pretty meaningless.

For a longer answer reread Geedubya's post. The velocity of the round does give the concerns that he's raised. I'm a huge fan of Barnes TSX bullets and they don't have the grenade effect at higher velocities that Ballistic Tips and the like have so they might be a good choice. Also, don't underestimate the Sierra HPBT Game Kings he mentions. These are stouter bullets than the regular Game Kings. (All the HPBT Game Kings are stouter). I haven't used this specific bullet, I have used the .243 version with great effect.

Regards,

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mailmanmark:
I'll be handloading the .270 WSM for Whitetails Which bullet weight do you suggest 130 or 140 ??? Thanks.

Try a 130 TSX, or even a 110 TSX. I've had success with both in 270 Win. Maybe even consider Bergers. I killed a few deer with the Bergers now and cannot tell any better or worse performance than any other deer bullet I've tried. The Berger bullets are insanely accurate and easy to load. Here's my 150 Berger target at 100 and 200 yards:

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mark my thoughts on the 270wsm are they shoot heavier bullets as fast as the 270win shoots lighter ones. im using 150gn nbt's. ive only shot 1 deer with factory loaded nbt's and it peformed just as well as the 130's did in the win cart. i don't shoot for shoulder because ive not had good luck with it and also the nbt's will cause alot of bloodshot meat. the 1 deer i shot was a rib cage shot drt at about 50yds and i did have a complete pass through. ultimately though it is gonna come down to what your gun shoots well so good luck finding a load that works for you. from what ive read the wsm like loads on the hotter side. im working on getting a load worked up for mine now. got all my brass prepped and ready just gotta put in the powder and bullets for a ladder test.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mailmanmark ----- I will list all the bullets I shoot with my two Model 70 Winchester .270 WSM's. My 130 grainers are Nosler Ballistic Tip, Solidbase, Partition, Barnes TSX, North Fork. Of these the North Forks are fastest and most accurate, with the others also getting one holers, just not as often. My 140 grainers are the old Failsafe (uncoated), Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Ballistic Tip, Sierra Game King. All these are consistent one holers, without a doubt my rifles like this size best. My 150 grainers are Nosler Partition, North Forks, with the North Forks with occasional one holer, the Partitions seldom. My best powders include RL-22, RL-25, Magpro, with many others tried. It seems the faster the bullet the better the accuracy. A 180 pound Mule Deer Buck taken at 285 yards with a Barnes 140 grain TSX at 3260 fps in the lungs was a flop down with bullet sized hole going in and a silver dollar sized hole going out. IMO there is no better Deer sized game cartridge manufactured for todays market. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank all those who have replied. Thanks again. My next endeavor is 7mm-08 or .270 Win for whitetails for a smaller framed shooter. If you have any input, PLEASE letter fly Smiler Thanks again all. MMM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phurley,
BTW, what's your best load for a 140 TSX or Accubond? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My load for the 140 grain bullets is 68 grains of RL-25 with a Fed 210M primer. I managed to get 20 sacs of the Nosler Accubonds that are cosmetic blems and super accurate in my two rifles. I used the TSX on a Mule Deer in Colorado with excellent results. I get an average of 3260 fps. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phurley,
I'll have to give them a try. The only load i"ve worked up thus far are 130 TTSX over a copious amount H4831sc. Thanks again.