New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the 45 Colt is the Best Cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to the range today to chronograph some 454 and 45 Colt loads. Got delayed by a friend's flat tire so I had to rush as it was getting late. I had a while back loaded some 45 Colt 325 gr Cast Performance bullets with 22 grs of H110, didn't think I had any left but I found some (along with other stuff) so I grabbed them and headed out.

I set up my Chrony, loaded a round into my 7-1/2" ruger 45 Colt Blackhawk, and fired. Very little kick and the velocity was only 799 ft/sec! Opened the loading gate, rotated the cylinder, tried to eject the case but it stuck. I lightly banged the ejector rod and the case came out. Here is what it looked like!

I was very surprised at first, but then I looked at the base and it was a 44 Magnum round that I had loaded a long time ago with the same 22 grs of H110 and a 240 grain lead bullet!

Needless to say I did not do any further testing for velocity or accuracy.

So now you know why I titled this post the way I did - in a pinch, you can stick 44 Mag rounds in your 45 Colt and pretty much duplicate the old west 45 ballistics!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
glad you weren't hurt

but,yes, i agree, the 45 colt is the best all around centerfire pistol cartridge... i wouldn't know how to qualify between the 45 colt and 22LR, though

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuff happens

Looks like the 41 mag case I didn't mean to fire in my 44 mag.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No danger of doing this; pressure won't build up to mag levels, but please don't make a habit of it.
Now, I have loaded 45 LC bullets into 44 mag brass, after the mouth was expanded. It makes a huge reverse bottle neck. Didn't fire it though.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but please don't make a habit of it.

Only once in 10s of thousands of 44 rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have loaded 45 LC bullets into 44 mag brass, after the mouth was expanded. It makes a huge reverse bottle neck. Didn't fire it though.

I hate that when it happens.

Dang why are these bullets sitting so hard.

Eeker

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, the bullets seat normally, the case was already expanded to fit the 45 bullet and in a progressive you don't notice it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with a 7-08 in my 308 Encore pistol barrel. No recoil and wound up with a perfectly formed piece of 308 brass.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
That's simply call fire forming cases..Good way to get some .308 brass...The old boys back in the day shot 30-06 milsurp ammo in the 35 Whelen, some of todays experts say that's dangerous, but I betcha a million or two got fireformed that way..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did it with a 41 mag in a 44 mag. Some how one round got in with the 44s. The case didn't split but it did expand a little.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote