Find
Notify
Tools

Case Forming Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
Question. Will the 9.3x64 case reform to the 7x57 case head size and will the rim need turned down for standard 98 Mauser bolt head / extractor.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff,
I am totally unsure of what you want to achieve, but looking at the 2 cartridges, it's practically impossible to do.
The 7x57Mauser has a head diameter of .473", the same as 30-06 etc, and the 9.3x64Brenneke has a head diameter of .496", but then just above the extraction cannelure it enlarges to .507", so to swage that down to .473" is a total of .034" of solid case head to be swaged down. The pressure required would be in the 20 tonne range.
Quite frankly, it's not feasible and probably foolish to attempt. The brass will lengthen well before the desired dimensions would be found, the brass has to go somewhere.
If you would like to enlighten me on exactly what you want to achieve, I might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Cheers.
416RigbyHunter.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
can you make it the same EXTERNAL dimensions? probably, with a lathe or a hydralic press ..

won't be the same INTERNALLY and probably not safe to shoot

30-06, 270, 8x57, 257 roberts.. all that you can make 7mm from

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
416, Jeff, I made the enquiery general to see if I got knowledgable answers or flames. Thanks for the way you answered. I have built a 7x57 with a min spec chamberin case factory ammo ever has to be used,(shudder).Have done a bit of accuracy work and am familiar with the process and dangers. I got some Graff brass that I was able to get a .017 turned neck from. By runing a .289 ( instead of .282) expander through then using Wilson neck die with .315 button I had cartridges cases that had a touch point in the chamber neck and a 3 1/2 thou release clearance at the mouth of the case. I would like to form some brass down to give me a .018 turned neck for a 1 to 1 1/2 thou release clearance for some target brass. Tried 30-06, 9.3x57 and wondered if the 64mm case would reform down. I know about the case head size difference, hence my question. The 7x64 is a possibility as is the 9.3x62 but again brass gain may not be sufficient right to the mouth of the 57mm case. Now that you know why I asked and the varied experiences of the forum members led me to believe that some one may have the cases in question to check the feasibility. This is a chalenge I set myself to see if the 7x57 could be made to perform as well as some of the modern designs as the 3 thou taper in the neck brings its own considerations that go outside the unstopable field performance.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
What about using 06 cylinder brass or something like the Howell basic sold by America hunting rifles. The howell brass is 2.73" long so you would be in the body of the case for a neck on the 7x57

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, now that I know what you want to achieve, you can use any 30-06 based cartridge.
As you stated you tried 30-06 and 9.3x57, but have you tried 9.3x62 brass?
If you stick with 30-06 brass, you might find one particular brand that will give you the results you're after, I know that Remington generally has thicker walls than Winchester, for instance.
9.3x62 is generally thinner in the walls than 30-06 brass.
There is another option, and that is to have a forming die made that will actually push the brass into the neck while it's being formed, rather than allowing it to lengthen through an open top in the die.
How exactly you could get this made is up to the die maker?
I always felt that the 7x57 was a very accurate cartridge to begin with, but each to their own.
416RigbyHunter.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
ramrod340. I tried to get 30-06 cylinder brass but got no reply to emails. It can be difficult to get some things outside the states as it seems there are restrictions on so many things now. I remember 30 years ago sending a cheque for a barrelled action and now a piece of brass is too dangerous. The cylinder brass would be the answer if I could get it.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know why the AHR wab site will not go to "contact us" it just goes to photo's.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know why the AHR wab site will not go to "contact us" it just goes to photo's.

I have no clue as to their site's problem. The guy you need to talk to is.

'wayne@hunting-rifles.com'

I have a piece of basic brass that I cut to short for my needs. I can run it in my 7x57 dies give you my expander dia and final neck dia if that would help you any.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote