New
Find
Notify
Tools

This month's Rifleman erratta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On page 43 of this months National Rifleman in an OLD artical by Gen Julian Hatcher he is quoted as saing "nitrous oxide" is the reddish brown gas that evolves off of degraded rifle powder.

Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a normally odorless gas commonly used for production of whipped creme and dental anestesia.
the "red gas" is Nitric Oxide NO2.

They are very different.

Does anyone know how to e-mail that info to the NRA to correct their pointless repetition of inaccurate information.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
N2O is nitrous oxide.

NO is nitric oxide.

NO2 is nitrogen dioxide.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitric oxide or Nitrogen monoxide are toxic gas . resulting from ignition of various compounds . Hydra carbon Combustion engines .

Hell I'm just going to give you the stuff from Wikipedia and save myself time .

Nitric oxide should not be confused with nitrous oxide (N2O), a general anaesthetic, and with nitrogen dioxide (NO2) which is another poisonous air pollutant. The nitric oxide molecule is a free radical, which is relevant to understanding its high reactivity. It reacts with the ozone in air to form nitrogen dioxide, signalled by the appearance of the reddish-brown color.

Despite being a startlingly simple molecule, NO is a fundamental player in the fields of neuroscience, physiology, and immunology, and was proclaimed “Molecule of the Year†in 1992[1]

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for clarifying that.

Well in any event there is no nitrous oxide in the fumes from powder degradation. and certainly N2O isn't responsibe for the red/orange fumes.

The red fumes are the same toxic, noxious corrosive chemical as that fuming off of less than perfectly pure Nitric Acid (I.E. "Red Fuming" Nitric acid)

Either as the gas Nitrogen Dioxide (the red gas) though NO
spontaneously forms NO2 in air anyway... as it is unstable.

Ths Nitrogen Dioxide will spontaneously convert to the colorless Nitrogen Tetroxide at low temps, and converts back when warmed. Happy yet? I didn't want to teach a class in nitrogen chemistry today... Smiler

I've got ~100lbs of Nitrous Oxide out in the shop
It makes small engines a lot more fun.
Or medium sized engines more fun at altitude...

There IS nitrous oxide (as well as elemental nitrogen)
in the gasses from propellant deflagration (burning)
it is responsible for that "sweet" odor.

The main point, that the artical is WRONG even if correctly qoting from Hatcher, still stands.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, there may be copyright issues even in an article that old if you simply change the words. Maybe they could put in an editors note about the correct chemical compound.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

...and was proclaimed “Molecule of the Year†in 1992.

Fascinating! Wonder if there is a list of the honorees for other years; perhaps a history of the award and its presenting organization. Inquiring minds.... rotflmo shocker clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Hatcher made a slip fifty years ago ??
The gas is still red, and his point is well taken.
Get a life!
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan DeGroot ; Just E Mail the NRA or post in the Rifleman what you said here .

I don't read that publication but would think they allow a reader feed back ?.

I got tired of them soliciting for $$$$ all the time WAY BACK !., DC lobbyist at their worst IMO.

They have done zip zero nada buttkus for gun rights or owners in California to my knowledge .

Seems to be a wonderful money making operation for several of the head personnel how ever !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote