New
Find
Notify
Tools

nickel plated brass
 Login/Join

<jager22>
posted
how does everyone feel about reloading nickel plated brass? are there any other measures that must be taken to reload as compared to regular brass?

<jrpilot>
posted
I try to stay away from the stuff. There has been a discussion on this topic that went into some detail with some people saying that it can be more brittle than regular brass, may even scratch your dies, and it can scratch your bullets when they are loaded. Then on the other hand there are people that reload the nickel and they like it and dont have any problems. The one advantage of the nickel is that it resists the discoloring that regular brass gets if they become wet.

<Bill>
posted
I reload nickel brass if I have the chance, I haven't noticed any real problems with it, other then it takes a small amount of addition effort to trim.

I do like teh way it looks and the nickel would seem to slick things up for slightly easier extraction in my opinion.

It is nice to have around if you want to load two diiferent loads for the same hunt, that way it is easier to tell them apart (ie, say you load a 150 and 175 spire point for your 7 mag).

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading such brass since the real early 1960's, and have never had a problem with it.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello J

I use nickel for my 6X45mm to color-code it; don't want it mixed up with .223 Remington.

Tom

Posts: 14368 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
It is just plated brass, it has never acted any differently for me in reloading. I have had no problems. It has always been just like brass, it is in some people's eyes a little "prettier".