New
Find
Notify
Tools

resizing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am loading for a 7 mm mag using once fired cases from the rifle I am reloading for.

for approximately every 20 cases approximately 5 to 6 end up being very hard to chamber, while the rest chamber like a new factory round.

This is driving me nuts.

What do I check next after checking everything else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check that you are actually fully resizing the cases.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Also check the base to front of belt dimensions. There were quite a few variations on the brands of brass I had when I was running my 7x61 and I quit it for that reason, before hearing about the collet die resiser. The resising die will not resise right to the belt as the little bit of spring back starts to leave a donut just in front of the belt. A belted case collet die is the answer to that dilema and is about the only way to correct the problem without spining the case and cleaning up the problem area which is what I ended up doing.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Be sure your case length is not over the maximum. That shouldn't be a problem with once fired brass but stranger things have happened.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all cases are the same make and came from the same lot number.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
1. There are length variations even from cases of the same brand and lot number.

2. The load with which they were shot will have much to do with how much a case lengthens. If some were shot with hot loads and others with not so hot loads, some will be longer than others.

3. You didn't say what kind of gun you're reloading for. A bolt action gun will easily chamber rounds that will not be easily chambered in a break open action, a lever action, a pump action or a semiauto. If loading for one of the latter, you die may need to be adjusted to bump the shoulder back just a little more.

4. If you are trying to crimp using your seating die (not necessary in the 7mm Rem. Mag.) you could be deforming the neck just enough to not chamber easily on some rounds.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
these are once shot factory loads shot in a bolt action gun. no crimping.

what good is a resizing die if it doesn't resize all cases the same?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
welcome to the world of belted magnums.
check your case length also factory ammo is not all the same length and your necks could be a bit too long and hitting the end of your chamber.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The amount of "drag" on the expander can cause the shoulder to lengthen. Variations in neck thickness and/or debris inside the neck will alter the "drag".
Another variable is the amount of lube on the brass. This is a small amount but things do add up sometimes.

my 2 cents worth

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF The chamber in your rifle may be on the large size. When a new unfired case is fired in a large chamber the part of the case just forward of the case web does not expand concentrically.This results in the body of the case and the case head no longer being concentric. This is easier to see on a rimless or rimmed case than it is on a belted case. Most 303 british chambers readily show this.If you have a case that is difficult to chamber open the bolt and carefully remove the cartridge. rotate it 180 deg and slide it back in the chamber. If it now chambers easier you likely have a large chamber. Once the cases have been fired and resized a couple times this problem disappears.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Try rechambering the empties before sizing them to see if it is something the die is doing to them to make the dimensions different after sizing them. The fired cases should go right back into the chamber easily if they were fired in that gun-that's back in as in "right back in".

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
22WRF The chamber in your rifle may be on the large size. When a new unfired case is fired in a large chamber the part of the case just forward of the case web does not expand concentrically.This results in the body of the case and the case head no longer being concentric. This is easier to see on a rimless or rimmed case than it is on a belted case. Most 303 british chambers readily show this.If you have a case that is difficult to chamber open the bolt and carefully remove the cartridge. rotate it 180 deg and slide it back in the chamber. If it now chambers easier you likely have a large chamber. Once the cases have been fired and resized a couple times this problem disappears.

I think what I have is an egg shaped chamber. I tried painting a couple of pieces of brass black and then chambering them to see where the rub marks were. Always in the same place.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I think what I have is an egg shaped chamber. I tried painting a couple of pieces of brass black and then chambering them to see where the rub marks were. Always in the same place.

Possibly true. BUT, it may not be.

Marks can be left on the brass for several reasons:

1. The case may be rubbing on one edge or another of the chamber when it is inserted by the bolt.

2. The mark(s) may be be made on the brass while the cartridge is in the magazine.

3. Even if the cartridge is never in the magazine, and is initially placed in the chamber by hand, in an oversized (but round)chamber the extractor may sometimes hold the case very slightly cocked in the chamber. This is especially true in push-feed receivers which may also have a spring loaded ejector pin in the face of the bolt which bears against one side of the case head.

That can cause uneven expansion of the case on firing, and give the same effect as an out-of-round chamber...at least visually it could look the same. And it could potentially cause the same sort of feeding feel, too.

Both oval and oversized chambers can degrade the cylindrical shape of the cases fired in them.

Theoretically, an out-of-round case should be returned to round by a round sizing die. With an oversize chamber, the case is not always perfectly perpendicular to the bolt face when the round is fired, and some cases end up with a case head at a very slight angle to the case body after firing. hat will NOT always be corrected by even the most round of sizing dies.

Either way, it is a PITA, isn't it?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Number 1 thing to look at is your case length, you could be bumping the case mouth in the chamber. Next thing to look at is that you have the right shell holder/die combination. Shell holders and dies should be from the same mfg. Even if you had an oval chamber, the full length die should resize it, and you would know it when you ran it in the press. The last thing to look at is the thickness of the case neck, sometimes they get thicker from firing and resizing.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fired case is similar to an inflated balloon.
If your FL size die is not set short enough when it squeezes the size of the case in it will push the shoulder forward. If you set the FL die down just another .002 to .003 it will then push the shoulder back where it belongs.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
A fired case is similar to an inflated balloon.
If your FL size die is not set short enough when it squeezes the size of the case in it will push the shoulder forward. If you set the FL die down just another .002 to .003 it will then push the shoulder back where it belongs and all of your cases will chamber normally.
Before you reset the die try double sizing your cases. Pull them partially out of the die, spin 180° and size again slowly. Regardless of how your dies are set, double sizing will give more consistently sized cases.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that if you have an irregular chamber, the problem would be consistant with all the cases. Could it be something as simple that you are short stroking a couple of the cases as you cycle them thru the resizing die?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
try this...

resize brass
lower ram
turn 90 degs
resize again (raise ram)

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39710 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger #1 7mmMag will take the cases back in after firing and fit loose.

But with a little hotter load, the cases show a tiny effort to extract, and then refuse to go back in the chamber. Those cases will go back in the chamber only after FL sizing.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys

I appreciate all of your help. I should have said in the first place that I have been reloading for at least 25 years and maybe more so I have already tried all of the tricks suggested.

Time for a trip to a gunsmith to take a look at the chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
these are once shot factory loads shot in a bolt action gun.

What rifle? Factory chambered? Then it IS possible it's out of round, but I doubt it.

The nature of belted ammo is that the sizing die doesn't size all the way to the top of the belt. Any serious pressure developed inside the round as it's being fired can cause a slight oversized condition just ahead of the belt. Factory rounds are usually loaded to max pressure, to get close to what they claim the bullet should make for velocity.

As von gruff said, the only solution is the collet sizer for belted brass. Since you know it all, I won't suggest you make sure all the slack is taken out of the linkage system of your press. Do this by running the sizer die real tight against the bottom of the die. If your press toggles over top dead center, make sure it does so with some pressure. If it comes up against a positive stop, make sure it is coming up against it hard, or the shell holder stops it, not the press stop. Then pause for a couple seconds before pulling out.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've experienced this same problem w/ a 6.5 x 300 wby & 3 winnie. Try removing your expander button from the decapping rod. You may be pulling the shoulders a little forward on some of the cases. The other possibility is a bad die. I tried EVERYTHING w/ the 6.5 x 300 wby to no avail. Ordered a different die form another company and the pita disappeared!

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know it all. Far from it. But I think its damn strange that a person can take a box of factory shells, shoot them once in a bolt action gun, then resize them all together at the same time the same way, reload them with the same bullets, and 5 out of the 20 won't chamber. And this has happened a couple of times!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been reloading for at least 25 years and maybe more so I have already tried all of the tricks suggested.

OK then. Problem solved. Time to move to another questioner who doesn't already know everything. NEXT!!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with onefunzr2, why are you asking us dumbies? Let us help somebody that don't know it all. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you last two posters read my last post before you posted. Doesn't look like it. I said I don't know it all. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you last two posters read my last post before you posted. Doesn't look like it. I said I don't know it all. Confused

I'm with you 22WRF. I was shocked at the reaction of some of these guys to your merely letting us know that you have an extensive background and can therefore eliminate some basic or simple flaw in your technique.

All I can say is listen to the message (which, in my opinion you have conscientiously done) and ignore the messenger. Roll Eyes

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know it all. Far from it. But I think its damn strange that a person can take a box of factory shells, shoot them once in a bolt action gun,

I dunno, I detected an attitude so I responded as I did. We still don't know what make rifle you have. Not enough info supplied by you, what make press, any other info you have. Did you do as I said? Simply running the die down to touch the shell holder with the ram all the way up is not enough. Spring in the linkage or flexing of the press itself, leaves the shell NOT being pushed far enough into the die.

I gotcha beat, I started loading in 1964 on my brothers kitchen table with a hammer powdered lee loader. I certainly don't know it all ether. But I've learned a thing or two since I started.

Yours is a common problem that comes up very often on forums like this one. Usually tracked down to the shell isn't being sized enough,(shoulder not set back far enough. Sometimes the only thing that works is cutting the die a bit shorter or shaving a bit off the shell holder.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz

Your attitude detector needs some work.

Rifle is a rebarreled Mark X Mauser in 7 MM Rem Mag. Dies are RCBS. Press is a Rockchucker by RCBS. Shell Holder is # 4, which I have evenly ground down to make sure that I am getting the case all the way in. there are NO problems with linkage. Everything is tight. I have spun the cases each time approximately 4 times and moved the ram up and down between each time.

The cases have been properly trimmed using an RCBS trimmer.

I am using the exact same equipment (except dies and in some cases shellholder) to reload for 5 other rifles and none of them have the same problem.

So, I think it has to be the chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got it figured out. Basically, what is happening is that some of the brass is springing back after being resized. But the strange thing is that when I resize it again some of it springs back again and won't chamber.

What I did was dykem's the cases, ran them through, and then tried to chamber them. the ones that didn't fit had marks in the middle of the case, not down by the belt, and not up on the neck. All cases were trimmed to the same exact length and then checked again with a dial caliper.