Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storage container for Red Dot?
 Login/Join

posted
I got an 8 lb keg of red dot from a guy I know and the keg is a round cardboard type container. I would like to put the powder in a better container. What are the options?

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Ask around gun clubs/gun shops etc. to see if anyone has one of the newer plastic empty containers that is used to package current lots of Red Dot. I would strongly recommend against using a container labeled for anything but Red Dot. The best option may well be to leave it as is. Remember: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Dark or black plastic bottle with recycle code 2 on it, marked HDPE (High-density polyethylene). These markings are on some of my plastic powder containers.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IMO, NEVER store powder in anything that is not offcially marked for that powder. The chance of usign te wrong powder is just too great. Easy solution, buy a 1# jug & refill. Talk to other reloaders, particulalry shotgun, they probably have porperly marked containers to throw away.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned about the integrity of the powder. Red Dot has not been sold in 8# cardboard containers for at least 15 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are you at I have a empty plastic 8 lb red dot keg if you want to pay for shipping. I wouldn't worry about it it it looks fine and smells fine I have use powders well over 30 year old

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder containers are specifically designed to do minimal damage if they ignite. (Like in a house fire.) You may find that local, state, and federal law prohibits storing reloading propellants in other than their original containers.

If you put the powder in a different container, you're potentially "building a bomb." This may have safety issues, but it can additionally have legal implications.

READ this link: (please!)

http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/storage2.html

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Randell:
Powder containers are specifically designed to do minimal damage if they ignite. (Like in a house fire.) You may find that local, state, and federal law prohibits storing reloading propellants in other than their original containers.

If you put the powder in a different container, you're potentially "building a bomb." This may have safety issues, but it can additionally have legal implications.

READ this link: (please!)

http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/storage2.html

I doubt that. Over the years, powder has been sold & shipped in cardboard, metal & palstic containers. The biggest issue, keeping track of the powder you are storing, hence, only put it up in original containers. Put a WTB add out for properly marked containers. Lots of guys reload & just toss the empties.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote