Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4895 for 300 win mag??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
First of all, hello everybody, it's my first topic in AccurateReloading but I've been reading/learning from all of you since the beginning of this year.

Here it goes:
Which loads you reccomend me with this powder for 165 nossler's partitions??
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Lorenzo.

First, if you possibly can, get a slower powder than 4895. It is shootable in your .300 mag, but will give you velocities similar to .30-06 when you reach maximum pressures. Also, the low loading density (large airspace left in cartridge) will usually make for high variations in muzzle velocity.

If it is available in your part of the world, find a slower powder -- at least as slow as 4350, but preferably 4831, Reloader 22, or VV 165 or 170.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The idea is to select a powder that will fill the case. You see the more powder you get into a case the greater the energy produced. Now there is a diminishing return on this but select IMR 4350 if you can get it.

IMR 4895 is too fast burning for the expansion ratio of that cartridge.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much both of you, I will follow your advice.Sorry I dont answer before but my computer was down.
Regards
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote