Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Choices For the 7.65x53
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
This morning I ordered a box of 140 grain 0.311 inch bullets from GS Custom based on Gerards recommendations. He sent me some data from his testing in a .303 British and it looks very good.
For practice and load comparison I will pick up some inexpensive Sierra or Speer bullets. I have to check to see what is on the shelves here in Fairbanks.
As for powder selection I do not want to use many different types. I want the highest velocity at the lowest pressure. It appears Reloader-15 will give me the best of both worlds.

I am open to any comments on this, this also is an addendum to my post, "musings on reloading the 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser".

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Hubie>
posted
I've been testing the Hornady 150gr SP(.312) with IMR 4895 and IMR 3031. So far, they shoot about the same, reasonably good groups, but nothing to brag about. Under 2", that is. Probably about the best I can do without a scope, anyway.

------------------
"A diffuse threat, like crime or terrorism, can only be thwarted by a diffuse defense..an armed populace" L. Neil Smith, 2001

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I went to a shop here in Fairbanks today and all I can say is Fairbanks needs a big dose of...customer service training. I was able to look over a rather complete selection of Hornady, Sierra, Barnes and a glance at a small selection of Speer. The whole time the three "salesmen" (I use this loosely) stood around BS'ing with people who weren't spending money. I was going to buy a box of bullets, pound of RL-15 and possibly a box of Norma ammo for my 8x57 for velocity comparison. This is about $65.00 worth of stuff. I left. I will order from Grafs tomorrow and get my powder from Kmart.

i too decided to use the 150 grainers. I was tempted to get the 174 grain HPBT from Sierra but I want relatively the same weight bullet when I am testing.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote