Find
Notify
Tools

Outers Foul Out...how do you like it?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Today, I made the mistake of firing 1 "hard cast bullet" out of my Ruger #1 and now, after 2 hours of scrubbing, still has lead in the barrel. I don't know why people use those damned things. Anyways, I'm considering 2 things...selling the gun or getting an Outers Foul-Out III. Anybody have one of those? How well do they work?

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Lead Removal there is nothing that is more effective than Foul Out in my experience. For example, in my Smith 52 I use Remington 158 wadcutters and bullseye and after about 100 rounds the barrel looks like Carlsbad Cavern with lead stalactites hanging down. The Foul Out rod when removed looks like a lead rod when removed! I will not us any of the conventional methods that involve brushes and scrubbing when Foul Out works without damaging or potentially damaging my barrels!

DWM

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old 4x4. See my comments on your other thread on removing lead from your barrel. Your comments bother me. If the bullet was hard cast, it should not have leaded your barrel. It also should have been sized to about .459. (You did say you were shooting a 45-70, right?) cast bullets should be at least .001 to .002 inches larger than bore diameter, and a gas checked version doesn't hurt. I think you said you had a Ruger #1, IIRC. I have quite a few of those rifles and a bunch of the Model 77's as well. If your rifle is an early one, as all mine are, the barrels were made by a contract outfit for $10.00 each. Some of the bores look like files, they're so rough. That could also be a part of your problem. I shoot my own home cast bullets in my Ruger #1 45-70 and in a Marlin 1895 with Micro-Groove rifling as well. No leading problems in either.
If you want to E-mail me with details of the load, things like bullet diameter, could you scratch it with a fingernail, etc., maybe I can help you out. Might even get you to shoot more lead. It really is a lot of fun, even if a bit more challenging.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
I have a Foul Out III that I rarely use. I also have Contender barrels that have never had a jacketed bullet through them. I shoot a combination of GC and plane based hard cast (22BR). Keep the plane based below 1700fps (old habbits die hard)and run a few GC bullets through if things get messy and everything will stay nice and clean as far as leading goes.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've had one for about two years. I've never used it for lead removal, just copper fouling. It works real good, particularly on older barrels that have a build-up of copper fouling. As most things, you must follow the directions, (removal of all oil is crucial).

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Have the Foul Out I and II ... my opinionis they ain't worth a damn!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is some evidence that they can ruin a barrel pretty quick, so I have refused to use them until they get all the kinks out, if they ever do. I'll take a wait and see postition on them.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had and used one for many years. Each bbl presents a problem by itself. Sometimes the Foul Out machine, sometimes JB, sometimes solvents. You will have to see what works best in yours. Possibly a combination.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Shoot a jacketed bullet in your bore. It will rip the lead out.

I have a Foul Out. I got it cause of the X bullets. It works. Don't leave it on too long.