New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 vs. 6.5-284 for long-range shooting
 Login/Join

<Wolverine>
posted
It seems that more benchresters favor the 6.5-284, but I would think brass would be easier to get for the 06 case.

What are the pro's and cons of either case?

Is there a noticeable "inherent accuracy" difference between these two cartridges?

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
A well known gunsmith/hunter from argentina uses the 6,5-06 for red stags in the south of the country, a region famous by the very big stags and for the loooong distances you must shot them.
A great cartdrige I think.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
The 284 version is a little more efficient, ie. equal velocity with a little less powder.
Some will say that it is inherently more accurate due to the shorter powder column. However, that is probably only measurable in a very high quality target gun.

Contrary to what some will tell you, the 6.5 X 284 does not lend itself to short actions unless you are going to load a single round at a time.

284 brass is readily available.

If I were going to build one it would be the 284 version, mostly because the 284 is in itself a neat cartridge that just came out before it's time and the 6.5 X 284 is even neater.

<gone hunting>
posted
Norma and Hornady both have brass for the 6.5x284 as well as 284 brass from Winchester.
i agree, the 6.5x284 works much better in a long action. in a short action bullets over 120gr have to be seated so deep they use up quite a bit of powder space.
6.5/06 is a vary good round in it's own right, but how about this - 6.5/06 improved.
if your gona use a long action anyway why not make the most of it!
just begging for 140gr+ bullets and a hand full of H4831 or H1000.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have wrestled with the same question you are posting regarding the brass.

I cannot comment on the 284 as the only real research I have done is regarding the 06.

When forming brass for the 6.5-06, you basically have 2 real choices. #1, you can neck down 270 brass or #2 you can neck up 25.06 brass. There are certainly other choices, but these 2 appear to be the least troublesome.

The drawback to the necking down 270 brass from what I can gather, is having to trim the cases (which I hate to do) and a possible thickening of the brass where the shoulder meets the neck. Is this a big problem? i am not sure. Others can comment on that part. Conversely, Necking up 25.06 brass seems to be the easiest method without having to trim as much and avoiding the build up of brass in the area I mentioned. Obviously, 25.06 brass will not be as easy to find as 270, but I figure how often am I really going to need to find brass when I buy it 100 at a time.

There is an excellent article comparing these 2 calibers in the December issue of Percision Shooting Magazine. The article, written by Conway, mentions a gunsmith by the name of Rick Piccarreta in Pennsylvania. He states that his benchrest club is getting slightly higher velocities and better groups usign the 06 caliber versus the 284. I do not know Rick or Conway, but the article seems to be written from fact rather than opinion. Side note: the writer said he was having a 6.5-284 built also to go along side his 6.5-06.

Did I help you any? Probably not....but maybe I have given you some additional questions to ask. Good shooting, Jim R

[This message has been edited by Jim R (edited 12-19-2001).]

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Wolverine>
posted
Good insights all around. I am glad I have a while to decide, but it sounds like I won't go wrong with either. I am leaning a little toward 6.5-06, but am also curious about the improved version. I guess I'll have to do some more research.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Wolverine! Shoot me an email if you get a chance. Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5/06 is long. The 6.5/284 is short. That probably wraps up the differences!
Seriously, I have seen very accurate rifles in both calibers with neither having any real edge. A friend and fellow gunsmith claims the Improved actually gives less throat erosion than the standard 6.5/06. I have great respect for his opinions so can't argue this. He has worn out a number of barrels with both versions.Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't really comment on the 6.5-284 as I have never owned one, and only shot one a couople of times.

As to the 6.5-06 AI, I had one built on a Mod70 action that was originally a 30-06. I put a Shilen barrel on it and did some other things to it and it shoots quite well.

I have chronoed most bullet weights for it and using a mod 35 Ohler chrono I got 3210 fps out of a 25 inch barrel using 125/129 grain bullets, 140's depending on load get launched at 3050 or so.

Accuracy is very good. I am extremely pleased with it.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Wolverine>
posted
Can anyone think of a reason not to get the 6.5-06 improved over the original version?

one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto the Precision Shooting Article..very impressive results.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolverine, the only reason I can think of to get the non-improved 6.6-06 over the imroved version would be if you don't care for fire forming. One of the European manufacturers has come out with a factory version of the standard (except it's a 6.5 x 64, but I've yet to see brass or ammo, so that point is probably moot. I have a regular 6.5-06, and I like it a lot, but if I were to do it again, I think I would go for the improved version. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote