Find
Notify
Tools

recoil softer with diff. powders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stubert
posted
I just read somewere that different powders can reduce or increase felt recoil, Does any one have any experiance changing powders fore that reason? For example: will h335 have more, or less recoil moving the same bullet at the same speed as h4895 or other powders?

Posts: 52 | Location: Catskill Mtns. New York | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The amount of powder added to the weight of the bullet makes up the mass of the load. 86 grs of rl15 will not kick as hard as 108 grs of h4831 both with a 500 gr bullet out of a 470 double. Double base powders kick harder than single base and ball powders kick hardest of all. Some of this is what is felt and not what is realy being produced by the load.

Rifle weight and fit has a much greater influence on felt recoil than what powder you choose. My 505 gibbs with a 535 gr bullet and a 141 gr load of rl22 is easier to shoot than a 90 gr load of rl15 and a 500 gr bullet in my Merkel double. The wrist on the double is too narrow for me to grab tight due to hand problems.

MY 470 chap is softer than both with a 86gr load of rl15 when my hand is working well.

Proper shooting form is even more important. Being fit and haveing good tone helps deal with recoil, if you are soft it will hurt more.

How fast you drive the load is important, a 250 gr load at 4000 fps will produce a march sharper recoil than a 500 gr load at 2000 fps. I would enjoy shooting my 505 at 2200 fps, and find a 338 win mag with a 200 gr bullet pushed hard in a light rifle punshing.

I prefer a good push to a sharp jab. Your experience may be different. I am not recoil sensitive, when I was younger I use to fight competively so I got use to getting kicked in the head. I know that explains a lot!!!

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in general, less powder for the same vel means less felt recoil ... in general .. to some folks, they can feel a difference in recoil speed ..

for example, a 416 rem kicks FAR less than a 416 rigby, in my opinion .. though the speed of recoil may be faster

both are going to kick

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39414 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes, diff powders can have a diff felt recoil. It's not just charge wt, but how the pressure builds. I have seen this more in handgun loads, but does occur in rifles as well.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first got my 7mag years ago,I was trying different powders working up a load for it.I also got a chronograph about the same time.I had a full load of H-870 and a near max load of IMR-4350 both with 160gr bullets.The recoil from the H-870 was quite a bit more than that from the IMR-4350,but to my amazement the velocity was around 150fps faster with the faster lighter recoiling IMR-4350.Weight of the bullet does play a big role in recoil,but that can vary too.My 300Win mag has more felt recoil with 165gr bullets than with 180gr,but I'm also using 2-3grs less powder with the 180gr than with the 165gr loads.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stubert, Many many years ago I shot a lot of Trap. Used a lot of 700X, Red Dot, and 800X. Then one of the Elders mentioned if I went to a Slower Powder the felt Recoil would be "reduced" when shooting long rounds.

He was correct.

However, in your example of H335 and H4895, you might not be able to notice a lot of difference.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hot Core. Using a slower powder will usually reduce the felt recoil.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of difference in perceived recoil when shooting different applications. I had the same experience that hot core mentions when shooting trap loads. However, I have had the opposite experience when shooting handgun loads--i.e. the faster powder--if a lot faster--will yield less felt--or perceived recoil when loaded to produce the same muzzle velocity. For example a load using Lil Gun or W296 gives me a lot bigger "kick" in my .44 magnum than a load of N-340 or HS-6 that produces the same muzzle velocity. Same goes for the .357 mag or the .32 H&R mag which I also shoot regularly. I don't fool around with widely varied powders (as burning rate goes) in the other handguns I shoot. I load only "target" loads for these weapons with the exception of the .32 H&R mag, which is my carry weapon.

When comparing rifle powders, I have not really dealt with a lot of variation in recoil as the best powders to produce the desired results in target loads all tend to be close to the same burning rate as in the 30 BR where H4198 rules and Norma 208? ( I might be one designation off on the Norma) or N-120 or 130 will also produce close to the same results. There is one rifle cartridge which I shoot that allows a lot of latitude in powder choice. I have shot W760, IMR4064, H4350, H335, and IMR8028XBR in my .243 WSSM all pushing the same bullet. I can't say I thought that one recoiled more sharply than the others. If you look up the burning rates of those powders you will notice quite a spread.....

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heres a chart i use when trying to decide on powders. tells burn rates. with a slower burn rate you may end up using a lot more powder than faster ones. seems like it would be the other way around though. i use 34 grains of varget in my 100 grain .243 loads where i would have to use 44 grains of h1000.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

if at first you dont succeed. blow it up.

Posts: 72 | Location: st. johnsville ny | Registered: 19 July 2010Reply With Quote