20 grs: 2051 fps

21 grs: 2146 fps
22 grs: 2194 fps
23 grs: 2256 fps
24 grs: 2335 fps.

Notes:
1.All cases extracted with ease.
2. NO excess pressure signs on primers
3. Recoil was very mild and tolerable for youths or women.
4. From 20 grains to 24 grains would be a good deer load in my opinion
5. 20 grains would indicate a 150 to 175 yd point blank range for deer
6. 23 to 24 grains would be indicated with a point blank range of 200 yds to 240 yds , in my opinion.

7.Nosler Ballistic Tip, Hornady 139 grain SP, and Remington 140 SP would all make very effective deer bullets in the ranges listed here.

Cheers and Good shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Notes:

3. Recoil was very mild and tolerable for youths or women.

7.Nosler Ballistic Tip, Hornady 139 grain SP, and Remington 140 SP would all make very effective deer bullets in the ranges listed here.

Cheers and Good shooting

Seafire

Seafire-

Frist off thanks for the infomation,but I do have to question number 3 & 7.

#3 It has been my experence with the 7x57mm that Recoil is very light and very tolerable to all even with full house loads using other powders,and giving much better Velocity ranges of 2600 to 2900 fps using 140 gr bullets.I question the need to try reduced loads in this caliber for hunting.

#7- I think of those you listed the B.T would be the best choice.But I think if this was me I would think about the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter at these velocitys,as I question those you picked to expand reliably

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiny,
to answer your questions,

#3. Recoil, the recoil on these loads was in the 22/250 to 243 range. much less than even a regular 7 x 57. I can take recoil with no problems, but not all shooters can and that is the scope of these tests.

7. I have experience with all the bullets I mentioned and therefore I felt comfortable in recommending them. I didn't mention the Sierra 120 as I have zero experience with it.
Speer and Hornady, and being in Oregon, of course Nosler are much more readily available locally, than Sierra.

I have to mail order a lot of Sierra bullets except one small shop that carries their match stuff. With a lot of good bullets available locally, Sierra just doesn't make it into a lot of the tests. NO other reason beyond that.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
I see,I should say I found out after reviewing several other post of yours on here after posting to this one.
Hadn't been here in a few days,and the 7x57mm got my attention real fast,as it is one of my favorites.

Looking forward to reading your other test results,looking real good so far.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote