New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .300 H&H why not?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tend to like the "classics" and disdain the new whiz bangy rounds like the ultra,ultra shorts, etc.

Have two .300 H&H's a sweet old pre 64Win 70 and a rebarreled Sako. Both shoot very well and have taken several deer and elk over the years. I can easily get 3000 fps with 180 NP's with good accuracy. Can't imagine needing more than that out of any thirty caliber.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .300 H&H Magnum is it worth pursuing in todays short mag and ultra mag fever?

Posts: 15 | Location: Salinas | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I have one and am building another. The short answer is yes, but only if you're a handloader. Factory loads are scarce and underpowered.

It may not be the most sensible option if you plan on shooting <180 grain bullets. If you plan to shoot 180's, 200's and 220's, it's a classy, traditional solution.

Brass is plentiful, the cartridge is easy to load and usually very accurate. You'll do more trimming than with some less-tapered cases, but I've never been put off by this.

Go for it.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a nice old cartridge that due to the ups and downs of world history survived and hunted in historic Africa and around the world. If you find a M70 or some other fine rifle so chambered then buy it at a fair price.

However if you really need a 300 magnum now then just buy one of the more popular ones. It seems that the 300 WSM is coming on very strong and there are a lot of 300 WM's and 300 Weatherby's out there already.

I wish I could get brass for a .30 Newton. That's the one that I admire from an historical point of view.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just quickly, off the top of my head, you may be able to make .30 Newton brass from 9.3x64 Brenneke. If not, you could make it from re-formed .300 Win. brass by turning off the belts, forming in the Newton SEATING die and then trimming, fireforming and re-sizing, you may have to do this with a re-size in between. Some experimentation will be required, but, I,m pretty certain it would work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
May be a 300 win. short mag'--300 winchester mag'--or a 300 wby might be a more popular choice of caliber's. -Good Luck

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I'm with ForrestB. If you reload there's no reason not to get a classic like the 300H&H.

Do you have a shot at a good deal, or just wondering if there's any sense to the H&H? I wouldn't be too worried about shooting the 150 or 165gr stuff though. With some experimentation you should still get an accurate load despite the big jump to the rifling.

If you need a 300 Mag and don't reload your best bet is the WinMag. Ammo is available widely, much cheaper than the Wby, it's accurate as hell...on and on.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just personal opinion but I think for a 300 H&H to be chosen over 300 Win it needs to be in the right rifle or it is to partner a 375 H&H.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like the original 375 H&H, everyone tries to improve on the already perfected rounds. The 300 H&H is a perfect all around caliber. With modern powders you can achieve nearly 300 Weatherby velocity or you can use lower charges and have the equivalent of a hot 30-06. Either way you have a winner.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

The .300 H&H Magnum is it worth pursuing in todays short mag and ultra mag fever?

Yes! I've seen case capacity comparisons that show that (to the mouth of the case) the .300 H&H has a case capacity almost exactly the same as a .308 Norma Magnum. Consequently, despite its' antique configuration, the .300 H&H will be able to deliver similar velocities!

A lot of people are still laboring under the old misconception, promoted by case "improvers" like Roy Weatherby and others, that case shape has an influence on possible MV! NO! If two cartridges of the same caliber hold exactly the same amount of powder, both have the exact same potential to produce the same max. MV with the same bullet and barrel length!

However, an "improved" case shape with less taper and sharper shoulder angles will produce less bolt thrust and case stretching than the long, .300 H&H shaped ones at the same max. pressure levels, so they really are "improved". The only thing that is not improved is their potential as far as velocity is concerned, PROVIDED they both hold the same amount of powder!

A lot of "impoved" cases hold MORE powder thant the unimproved original, however. Consequently, these are capable of higher velocities. An example is the .30/'06 AI as compared to the plain ol' '06.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The .300 H&H is a very fine and traditional gun...as far as I know they must be purchased used...not to fear, I've never seen one "shot out".

Typically you find them in M-70, M-721 and M-700 actions.

Mine, a M721 Remington, restocked for scope use is a superb functioning, accurate, and pride to own piece. I'll take it up against any current .300 caliber today.

Besides, if you get tired of it, you can always rebarrel the action to anything from the .375 H&H up to the .458 Lott.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks one and all for the input. Have a great New Year!

Posts: 15 | Location: Salinas | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I had a Classic Supreme grade rebarreled in .330 H&H two years ago because I like classic cartridges. I love it. I shoot 200 grn Noslers in front of 65 grains of RL22 for 2850fps. I've taken one mule deer with it and at 268 yards I knocked it flat. I also get .8 MOA with my handloads.

It's my favorite gun.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The .300 H&H is a classic, for sure, and I've always thought it was a really cool cartridge. But I've got a .300 Weatherby, and after all, it's just an "improved" .300 H&H. Weatherby originally made the cases by simply fireforming commercial .300 H&H brass.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
The 300 H&H is just a dead sexy round. I had a post-64 mod 70 winchester that I traded away 7years bcak. I regret doing that.

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote