New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you avoid Moly mess ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi fellow shooters of molycoated bullets.

I have been molycoating for some time now, but I have yet to find a way to get the exess moly of my bullets, after tumbling, without making a mess. ' sound like I am clumsy.. I like to think I am not.
So far I have tumbled bullets and moly for a couple of hours and after tumbling, wiped off exess moly with a cloth, which also makes the bullets look nice and shiny
But if there is and invention out there, that I haven't heard of, that does the same, without the mess.

Please tell me

Thanks in advance
Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy to avoid the mess, don't moly.

I tried it, and is not worth the trouble.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as said before ...........easiest way to avoid the mess is avoid the cause. Serves no real purpose anyway.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok ... Apart from not molycoating, which is not an option at this time. Do you have any input to my question.??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy bullets already mollied.

I get my mess from the Lyman moly bore paste that I put on a patch and burninsh the bore with, at the start of a shooting day.

After touching that patch, no girl will hold hands with me for a weekFrowner

And I would rather have black hands and mess with moly for 5 minutes than fight copper fouling for an hour.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI Clark

Thanks for your response. Not all bullets are "mollied". Which ones do you use.
Why moly the bore before use, if you use moly coated bullets? Isn't that too much af a good thing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
don't take the moly coated bullets and input them in your hand..............

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Niels - what about tumbling them in corncob?

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy moly bullets because I do a lousy job of spraying them.

If the bullets I want are not offered with moly [like .257 Vmax], I have them coated for 2 cents a bullet. I have Russ Hayden do it, but I think there are a few other benchrest outfits that do it too.

The reason I burnish the bore, is so there is no "shooting in" period. I have one fouling shot in the morning that blows out all that paste, and then I am in tiny groups from then on.

At the end of the day I clean with a powder solvent, clean patch, baking soda and water, clean patch, and then motor oil for storage. I clean the motor oil out before burnishing with moly.

There are a lot of opinions on moly. I don't know anyone else using baking soda and water [maybe the water is the magic ingredient].

Walt Berger and David Tubbs must have something better to say about how THEY use moly.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/faq.htm

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that was a good informative answer Thanks a lot Clark.
I am glad that most people at AR are helpfull like you.

There is a small country up North that is full of pesty busybodies who should rather get on with their lives than being pesty.. But that is... not here. Aren't we fortunate.

I just rebarreled, the people that sold me the barrel told me to NEVER use any solvent in it. Kroil (or similar) and brush was the only things, besides bullets, that should ever enter th barrel. The reason for this, was that solvents creep into the tiny cracks that develop in a barrel, once it has been fired some, and that, that solvent creeping in, will never get out again and, being there it will shorten barrel life and accuracy. At first I was skeptic, but thought about as a challenge, so I have been cleaning with only that since I got it, and I must admit... it's easy as pie and it's clean as a whistle.
Thanks for your answer and yes I too think that Mr. winning the whole thing for the 11. time Tubbs has somthing to say about moly too..
But really If he didn't like it I still would
1. I just made a 0.16" 100meter group with Hornady 150gr. SP molycoated.
2. It is easier to clean the barrel.
3. I'd rather clean my hands or wear gloves, my girl WILL go near me anyway. I am newly wed..

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI Edi

Thanks for your response.
I did tumble, but getting the bullets in and out of the moly was a mess. And I wanted a good shine on them, which the tumbler doesn't do.

But never mind all that now, I have found a way.
Answers for my question is no longer needed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the impact method of application and then tumble in walnut hulls with a bit of Mothers Pure Carnuba Car Wax. And I do mean just a little bit. When they come out of this no mess at all.

I tumble all my cast 45ACP in moly and rice and shoot without any lube and no leading of the barrel. I like the stuff. I guess I am in the minority on this one too.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Details?

H&G 68 I cast myself.

I use a 40 oz Peanut Butter jar (Skippy Super Chunk)

Filled 1/3 to 1/2 full of rice add 1/4 teaspon of KG Moly Powder

add boolits 100-150 per jar.

Tumble for a couple of hours in my old Thumblers Tumblers..........

Use old slotted spoon stolen from my wife's kitchen to remove the bullets from the rice/moly..

Place in tumbler bin, use untreated walnut hulls and a bit of Mothers California Gold Carnuba Wax for 30 minutes.

Load and shoot.

I cleaned my barrel very well before first use of the molycoated boolits. I don't touch the bullets till out of the walnut/wax media, no mess no fuss.

Hope this helps!

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels, I've been using Moly coated bullets for years and I like the way they treat the barrel...They aren't for everyone but it has its place. I moly coat my own bullets and yes, there is a very easy way of doing it....First, Put your bullets in two (2) small jars (about the size of small mayonaise jars) fill the jars about 1/3 full of lead shot ...#6 or 7 or 8 work fine, then add about a spoon full of moly for each jar....In each jar, put 100 bullets.....like 50 grain .22cal. bullets..I use a large seava spoon....Screw the lids tight, place in a vibrator which is about 1/2 full of cleaning media..old media is fine...leave in the vibrator about 1 hour and 15 minutes...take them out with the seava spoon and place them in an old towel and see/saw them back and forth, kinda like this.bring the towel up on one end, down on the other.back and forth and they will come out bright and shiny..Its important to properly clean the bullets before you coat them....I use break cleaner fluid in a little plastic bowl. rinse them good, place on a paper towel to dry...I then put them in an old metal pan and place them in the oven at about 200 with the door open for about 7 or 8 minutes...just long enough to dry them good and get them barely warm...hopes this helps..you can e-mail me direct if I can help further.........George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Niels check out this site if you havent already!

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Moly_Coating

Lots of info about moly there!
Ps, Thanks for the pm,s

Regards Ben.

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I tumble all my cast 45ACP in moly and rice and shoot without any lube

Very interesting to eliminate lube of cast bullets.

I shoot 200 or 300 rounds per shooting day , 200grain RN plain cast bullets lubed in the traditional way, eliminate lube will be a great advantage

Please, let me know details about the procedure you use, moly type used, if barrel is moly treated first,tumbling time, etc.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple fix, don't use moly, end of problem.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSH 284 Win- Your method sounds a little like what I came up with, except I use plastic net to get the bullets out and Lymans small vibrator bowl to tumble/vibrate the moly and bullets in. The towel trick sounds good, I'll see if I can steal one from our closet.

One question: Why use the lead pellets, isn't it good enough to just let the bullets "shake" alone?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Thanks for the info, I will try out it.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SAKO- Good link. Thanks.!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found two ways to get around the problem:

1. Drop the open moly container on the floor, spilling all contents on carpet.

2. Have energetic friend who is earnestly trying to help and learn reloading, who adroitly does the same thing.

My wife owns me, I own my friend. He is looking for a neophyte who wants to learn how to reload.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The answer to your question is simple. Buy Berger Moly coated bullets. Whatever sive ,whatever caliber, in my opinion they are the best. No mess , you can order them already coated. The MEF work great on Groundhogs,fox etc. I shoot a 221 fireball and a 22-250 and use 52 grain Berger MEF Moly coated bullets and would never use anything else. Try it you may become a beliver to. Scott

Posts: 7 | Location: PA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way I've found is to put the bullets in a pill bottle with a tight fitting screw on cap. Put in about a 1/4 teaspoon of moly and screw closed. Toss them in the tumbler media and let it run for about an hour or so. Without media, this is way too loud to listen to for any amount of time.
Spill them out onto a terry cloth towel, very little moly should be left to spill out. Hold the towel by the ends and roll the bullets in the towel by lifting each end alternately. They will come out clean as a whistle in just a few seconds. Any little residual moly left on them will be easy to wipe off you hands if necessary.
I've done this with bullets from .17 up to .30 caliber and it works great. Don't use you wife's best towels, though, if you value your life.- - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ScottW,
I used to buy Berger MEF moly bullets in 72 gr for .257, but I found that Hornady Vmax 75 gr coated by Hayden were better and cheaper.