Find
Notify
Tools

Data 85 powder range results
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
BOOM lefty It was a blustery day at the range today. Winds at over 50 miles / hr. Three chronograps went down and one Chrony may never work again.

In the 22-250 and 250-3000 Data 85 powder made a really good showing between wind gusts.

22-250 Stevens Mod. 200, FC cases and primers, 38.1 gr. DP 85
  • 55gr. Varmint Nite Mare, Mid South oal=2.469" 3/8" grp., at 50 yds. very nice at 200 yds. Just great out ot 400yds.
  • 52 gr. Berger FBHP, oal=2.530" OK But Not Great.
  • 50gr TNT Speer, oal=2.515", 3 shot 3/8" grp. at 50 yds., 2" 3 shot grp., at 300 yds. great at 400 yds.
  • 55gr. Berger FBHP.,oal=2.50"3/8" at 50 yds.Just great at 300 yds.

.250-3000 Stevens 200 with Shaw barrel, WW cases, #34 primers, 38gr. DP85,.
  • 75grFP Speer, oal=2.395", mild, and really clean. Not great.
  • 110gr. Berger FBHP, oal=2.704", mild, clean, 5 shot 3/4' grp. at 50 yds. Wind really gusting but made great showing out to 300 yds.
  • 90gr. HP Questionable manufacture supplied by Midway. oal=2.704", Mild clean, Dead on at 200 yds.
  • 120gr. sp BT Speer, oal=2.685, 1" group at 50 yds.mild and clean.

My buddy was using a 22-250 Varmint rifle with up to 39gr.of DP85 and every load was mild and sub MOA at 100 yds. FYI 1/2 of his loads were with #34 primers. The wind really tested man and equipment today. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    8# purchased, and with a friend. I am going to pick it up Monday evening. Looking forward to what I find!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Nice job! Did you get any Chrony readings befor they all went down? If so how did DP85 do in the velocity dept.?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by steve4102:
    Nice job! Did you get any Chrony readings befor they all went down? If so how did DP85 do in the velocity dept.?

My Oehler never went UP. Even though I stake it down I wasn't going to gamble. We'll keep working up and post more data in two weeks.From what we see so far this may be the best energy transfere powder for the 22-250. We'll know more in a couple of weeks. Smilerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    From what we see so far this may be the best energy transfere powder for the 22-250. We'll know more in a couple of weeks. Smilerroger

Curse you, Bartsche! Because of you, I already have 24 lbs of Data 86 powder for my .270WSM, .243 Win and 6.5x55. And now you come out with how great the Data 85 powder is for the .22-250 just when my buddy hands me over his 22-250 AI to work up some loads for. All my budget needs is to have to order in a couple more 8 lb. kegs of great powder for a good price. Maybe this time, I will make my buddy store it at his shop! I am starting to suspect that you are a secret undercover operative for Powder Valley! stir

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
    quote:
    From what we see so far this may be the best energy transfere powder for the 22-250. We'll know more in a couple of weeks. Smilerroger

Curse you, Bartsche! Because of you, I already have 24 lbs of Data 86 powder

Any time you want to get rid of the DP 86 you let me know. thumbroger

one of us
    Picture of Reloader
    posted Hide Post
    I've also been tinkering with the D85.

I'm getting pretty good groups from the 22-250 with the D85 under 52 Amaxes and 55 NBTs. I'm still adjusting the load, I last used 40grns under the 52 amaxes for 3518 fps avg from a 26" barrel with no pressure signs. With the 55NBTs I used 39grns and got 3450fps. I went up to 41 grns on the 55 NBTs and brought the speed up to 3650 fps. I think I'll try it under some 55BKs and 52 MKs as well.

I also tried it in a 30-06 with some 150s. With 61 grns I was getting from 2970-3000 out of a 22" bbl. 61.5grn gave 3020 fps.

I plan on trying the D85 in a Sendero 300 SAUM under 165 NBTs before too long.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Reloader:
    I've also been tinkering with the D85.

Thank you! your posting was just the thing We were hoping to get. BOOM thumbroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Who makes the Data powders? Where can one get more information on it?

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gerard:
    Who makes the Data powders? Where can one get more information on it?

It's a data powder from Accurate the powder people. We've been getting it at Powder Valley for about $ 69.00 /8lb. jug+ hazard+ shipping and handeling. cheersroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks, I had a look at it on the Accurate website. Would it be worthwhile to incorporate it in this chart?

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gerard:
    Thanks, I had a look at it on the Accurate website. Would it be worthwhile to incorporate it in this chart?

If it were, it would have to be in red as far as I can see.It would probably become only a reference in a year or so( that's just a guess) as it will become nonexistant once it is gone.

The reloading and range information being generated now on a number of these surplus powders will only be meaningful to those who buy, or have bought sufficient quantities for future use while they were available. hijack Although I use powders other than surplus I have found that the surplus was a very ecconomical way to support my shooting with no compromise to results and enjoyment. dancing

As this is written I have fair quantities of 13 or 14 different surplus powders. The only one that has caused any significant concern was 7383. but even there if you understood the powder and used good sense it was usefull.Sorry got a little windy and far afield. BOOMroger