New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOADING THE 300 WEATHERBY FOR WHITE TAIL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
need some good loads for 150 or 165. This is my first time loading for a weatherby..

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Vines,
Can't help with load data but the question I would like to ask is Why?
With overbore magnums like your Weatherby or my RUM, when you go to lighter bullets you get a helluvalot of velocity. While velocity flattens out your trajectory curve, it also leads to more meat destruction and can lead to bullet "failures".
Unless you are planning on regularly shooting 400 yards, my thought would be to stick to a larger bullet or lighter if you prefer at around 2900fps. Just my $.02 but having shot a blacktail with my elk loads and having to throw away an entire shoulder, I been there done that and don't do that no more. BOOM

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BLACKTAIL: I asked the same quastion, this is NOT my gun. I dont even use a long action. My deer rifles are .260 Rem. & 7MM-08. this is for a friend of mine, I told him the same thing. To big for white tail.

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To big for white tail.

No it is not! Too fast maybe but not too big! Use a 180 Nosler Protected Point and---wait for it---shoot 'em in the head!!!LOL!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If he is stuck on lighter bullets, load up some of the starting loads at around 2900fps in the loading books and see how they shoot. If accuracy is acceptable you should be OK. There certainly is no good reason to push anything faster than 3000fps unless he likes hamburger Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a 300winmag for over a decade as my go to big game gun, and went with a 180grn at 2960fps or so. I gave up on lighter bullets do to meat loss and blood shot meat. Keeping the bullet under 3000fps, and having a fairly sturdy bullet helps. But after that, it's no more effective than a more standard deer round though, and has more downside if you hit a shouler, etc.

If he wants a lighter bullet I'd look into the mono metal projectiles.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It'll do just fine with a tougher bullet. A Barnes TSX or TTSX would be perfect. Lots of velocity without the explosion that destroys meat.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
It'll do just fine with a tougher bullet. A Barnes TSX or TTSX would be perfect. Lots of velocity without the explosion that destroys meat.

LWD

Well, the experience I had with my RUM was a 180gr Barnes X at about 200yds. Blew the you-know-what out of things. Granted the RUM runs considerably faster than the Roy but even with monometals, you can have too much of a good thing.

Have gun- Will travel

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My two cents- use the bigger bullets this gun was throated for and keep slowing them down until the groups open up to unacceptable.

I suspect he'll be able to make smaller bullets zip right along and then be surprised to have a clean miss on a deer a few hundred yards away. Then again, he may be able to load 150's and get less than 3 MOA out of it but if if he doesn't it might not be the fault of the trigger-puller.
As mentioned earlier, I'd also try using a 180 grain sized bullet which works fine on white tails. The bonus is that 180 grains of most ANY bullet is adequate to hunt white tails with, so no need for premium bullets when regular hunting bullets work just fine.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R D McMillan:
quote:
To big for white tail.

No it is not! Too fast maybe but not too big! Use a 180 Nosler Protected Point and---wait for it---shoot 'em in the head!!!LOL!

My know all shooting and reloading guru Hotsh#t has repeatedly warned us about the dangers of attempting a "stunt" with head-shooting. He is on record with the admonishment of looking out for the "rapid head movements", as he calls them, that could lead to bullet failure. Since some here are quoting his turds of wisdom in their signature line I thought that I would bring this to your attention.

Kind of like a civic duty.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 130gr barnes in the 300Wby is a GREAT combo for whitetails. 87 Grains of IMR4350 and Vouala! An easy to shoot laser beam that will do no more damage than any other 30 from any other case.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go for the shoulder then you wont have to worry about boning the sumbitches out.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
168 TTSX

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would go with a monmetal bullet also. Not to brag about shitty shooting but I have hit deer in the femur and through both shoulders with a 200 TSX out of a 300 win mag at 2950. Didnt lose a bit of meat but what I had to trim out the small bone shards. Maybe a pound at most. I have had 0% bloodshot from any barnes X bullets.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote