Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle enema
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Y'all think I'm nuts, so I'll prove it.

Sometimes we have a need to put a lot of rounds down range in a brief time, resulting in a hot barrel. I recall seeing a video, I think from Zimbabwe, of some shooters using water to cool their bores. They used an enema bag. Worked well.

I discussed this with a metallurgist friend and he described the likely effects, heat treating, metal molecular structure, etc. Too much detail for here. In brief, HOT is something around 200-250 deg F. TOO hot might be around 300-400 deg. He thought the water method would have no nasty effects, but said a fan would be very effective, too. Electricity required, of course. Have any of you other nuts tried this?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three shots and it will be hot! Take a walk, take a break, clean the bore, walk down range and check target, shoot a different gun, whatever, but let it cool. Test with the back of your hand.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An anecdote. I sometimes snowshoe into a local range in winter to do some FA blasting. After I'm done I would have to wait before putting a hot upper in a foam/nylon case, so I sometimes quench it in snow.

Few things to bear in mind. Make sure to pull the upper off the reg receiver. Also pull the BCG. Reason is there will be a geyser of water, ie., don't look down the bore as you're doing this.

Don't run a couple of back to back betas and stuff it in the snow the next instant, either. Let it air cool some. You're right, there is such a thing as too hot.

Also, this is not something to do to your high-dollar accuracy first Noveske upper. I'm talking about well-worn shortys.

Have also seen water quenching of beltfeds at shoots. Again, most such bbls are replaceable milsurp.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
My Uncle in North Africa in WWII quoted cooling his air cooled 30 with a 5 gallon can of Oil. Poured it through, into another can, shoot and repeat. Defending harbor from attacking aircraft was the purpose. They came up with the plan after the water-cooled MG's next to them could Keep on shooting whilst they had to stop. "Necessity is the mother of invention..."
So is envy it appears.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
While PD hunting I have cooled down by running water through the barrel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I used to just slowly pour a 16 ounce bottle of water down the bore. When it was hot, it dried pretty quickly.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I use a fired cartridge case with the base drilled out and a barb fitting soldered in. Plastic hose and a small funnel is used. I use distilled water to prevent minerals from building up.
Case keeps water from getting into the action.
I learned this tip about 50 years ago and have used it since. No damage to any carbon/stainless barrels.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use a wet rag and wipe the outside of my barrels often when it is hot out.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think using an enema bag would be a crappy deal, using a douche bag would be sexier.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day we all shot 788s prairie doggin and used dripping wet towels and rotated guns. Shoot one 15 times while the other two sat with towels. 6 guns cooling at a time, the Ice in the big cooler could hardly melt fast enough to keep the towels wet. Those guns had no ill accuracy affects for the normal life of a barrel, but they looked terrible after the first year. My first 3 788s cost $78.00 a piece from Sears.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The realguns guy built a cooling device:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar195.htm

I've used snow on the outside of a barrel to good effect.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have had a rifle or two that shot like it.... well, that it could benefit from said enema

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39683 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check out these products Battlefield Technologies

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:

I discussed this with a metallurgist friend and he described the likely effects, heat treating, metal molecular structure, etc. Too much detail for here. In brief, HOT is something around 200-250 deg F. TOO hot might be around 300-400 deg. He thought the water method would have no nasty effects, but said a fan would be very effective, too. Electricity required, of course. Have any of you other nuts tried this?

200-250 will raise blisters on your hand, 300-400 and you'll be heading to the burn ward of your local hospital.
IOW what most of us consider "a hot barrel" will be in the 125-175 range.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I've learned:

-The link posted by jpl proves that I'm not the only nut on the range, nor the most advanced (or demented).
-My highly unscientific definition of hot needs adjustment. Thanks, Tailgunner.
-There's really no such thing as a dumb question.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Use alcohol instead and simply have a big syringe with a hose ending in a plug with an O-ring so it plugs the chamber 100%
Squirt in some alcohol and simply let it evaporate, uses way more energy than simply heating water, and it wont rust the barrel!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use a bucket of water and a towel soaked in it.

Point the barrel down, and wrap the wet towel around it.

Takes no time if cooling the barrel.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't all that long ago that you could buy a CO2 cylinder and regulator with a flexible tube to cool the barrel of your rifle. It was advertised in all the gun rags. Never thought I needed one. Looks like no one else needed or wanted one either as they didn't stay on the market long.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wow!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When we're at a place and electricity is available we turn on 2 fans blowing up the receivers in bolt actions while their standing up. You would be suprised how quickly they cool down.
When I don't have that available I have a cooler with ice , water and a towel that speeds things up.

Posts: 5 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 01 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
wow!

Wow what?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want fast and easy, get canned air from the office supply store (staples , Best buy), put the extender nosel on, hold can up-side down and squirt down the barrel. You will have ice build up in no time.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a small fan in the Auto Dept at Wal Mart that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket, and found it works just fine to cool the barrel when I point it into the action and blow down the barrel.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cans of compressed gas sold at office supply stores that are sold to blow out computer key boards works great . put the little straw in the spray nozzle and spray from the breech end.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cragister,
Wow is a term that means I'm amazed,

Apparantly their are lots of different ways to cool a barrel according to the many posts, going all the way back to the old buff hunters who pissed down the barrel, but it's todays use of all manor of methods of cooling that caught my attention..

I used to smoke a cigerettte between shots, then quit smoking and took a chew between shots, today I just take like 5 guns and let 4 cool with bolts open, while I shoot no. 5 and so fourth..

Also I don't shoot as much as I used to per session, I usually find a load, sight in, and that's about it once a year and during coyote and Rockchuck shooting sessions..Also my stocks are wood and I don't cherish pouring water etc. on them. I suddenly realize that most of today shooter use SS and plastic stocks and that's one plus they have over other stock and metal rifles.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Occasionally it get warm here in Virginia. Several of us like to shoot 4-600 rounds of 45 Colt ammo thru, in my case S&W model 25s. I made a gallon bucket of Ed's Red to cool the pistols when they got to hot to handle. I'd take three pistols and shoot until they hot I'd drop muzzle first in the bucket and go to the second, then the third. When I got finished and the weapons were cool I'd clean them and put them back to their cases.
I remember reading about a couple of dedicated prairie dog shooters building rifles with a water jackets around the barrel like the old Browning machine guns. I believe it was in Gun World. They had an ice chest, used an aquarium pump, tubing to and from the water in the ice chest to the jacket and back. Every thing was set up in pick up bed.

Sounded like a great solution.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about one of those battery powered air pumps that you use to pump an air mattress? I have not tried it yet, would seems simple enough to rig up a hose or tubing suitable to cool down a rifle bore.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
When you are constantly shoving suppositories up a rifles behind, you should expect to have to give it an enema every once in a while.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old buffalo hide hunters who shot perhaps a 100 buffalo at one stand by lung shooting them, and they used black powder and a hot barrel would ignite a round pissed down the bore to cool them off...Folks in town thought they smelled ripe because of skinning bufflo but burning piss smells mighty bad also.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want fast and easy, get canned air from the office supply store (staples , Best buy), put the extender nosel on, hold can up-side down and squirt down the barrel. You will have ice build up in no time.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldI'll take your word for the smell of burning piss , Ray. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
quote:

tu2

FWIW
2c of useless info:-
Canned Air is not compressed air it's a refrigerant gas ...... so it is mighty cold as it evaporates exiting the nozzle after the initial burst.
Used to be freon , but its a little more environmentally friendly & less combustible compound today............ the main reason for the change was not the enviro impact , but the high combustibility of the original gas .
The change in chemistry occurred about 3 yrs ago after several incidents where the gas ignited from a spark when blowing dust off electrical eqpt.

its not cheap either.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote