New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38 spl +p loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what does any of you use for .38 spl +p loads?? i just loaded some tonite and lots of the data i found said to use 3.8 grs. of bullseye so i did...... i'm thinkin it'll reach around 950 fps under a 150gr cast swc... not too worried about over pressureing my model27 too much......

LIFE IS SHORT........

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
what does any of you use for .38 spl +p loads?? i just loaded some tonite and lots of the data i found said to use 3.8 grs. of bullseye so i did...... i'm thinkin it'll reach around 950 fps under a 150gr cast swc... not too worried about over pressureing my model27 too much......

LIFE IS SHORT........
I use Unique, hand weighted, with a 158gr cast lead for a defence loading. Running maximum pressure with Bullseye and changing brass or mixed brass or primer, gave me pressure problems, very hard on brass. I would suggest you stay with the standard 38 special loads using Bullseye for target shooting,, not +P. Not much difference between 3.6 and 3.8 gr. and the .2 gr less gives you a little safety margin. Start lower than 3.6 Bullseye and work up.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks 243. i had thought of that.... some off the data i came cross was for 4.1 grs. of bullseye for a +p load... i thought that might have have too stout for a .38 spl case... as for the cases they are some .38 spl cases that were given to me or i picked up at the range so i have no idea how many times they've been loaded... i hope to get a chance soon to get out an see how these do... right now it's -8 outside bbrrrrrrrrrrr....... i could use alittle global warming!!!

LIFE IS SHORT...........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my favorite load by far is a 125 gr JHP and 6.5 gr of unique

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
158 gr JHP or LSWC 18 gr LIL'GUN.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote