New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a Premium Bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been doing alot of looking and reading about 'premium' bullets available to the reloader. I find myself doing alot of wondering about what a premium bullets really is! There are alot of terms one sees thrown around in discussions like this. Terms such as 'welded core', 'solid shank', 'controlled expansion', 'solids', etc. Some of these terms are self explanatory, others seem to be jargon. Can someone explain the different bullet technologies in use today, their pros/cons, etc?

Michael

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
"Premium" bullets are those which cost twice as much for half as many!

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ric pretty well said it all!

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Premium bullets for TARGET shooting will likely be more uniform in their forming. Jacketed bullets often have one side of the jacket thinner than the other because it stretches as it is pressed onto the core. In small caliber bullets, this uniformity results in accuracy.

Premium bullets will weigh more nearly the same from one to the next. Variations in bullet weight, particularly at small calibers and in light bullet, can be significant.

Formation of the tip of the bullet can vary one to the next. This results from the jacket being formed over the core and extended to the tip in varying tolerances. The ogive on the bullet -- where it sits against the lands in the bore -- may be at the same spot from one to the next, but the distance from the ogive to the tip of the bullet may vary. This will result in variations in OAL even though all the bullets seat at the same distance from the lands.

All these variations are minor. But if you're trying to shoot .2xx MOA, every variation will affect accuracy. For most ammo and shooting these variations are of little concern.

Finally, "premium" bullets are often labeled "match" grade. Expect to pay about three times as much for match grade bullets.

For HUNTING bullets . . . (I'm NOT a hunter) "premium" will refer to variations in core, expansion characteristics, etc. Lots of marketing jargon here: "partitions" "core lokt" "ballistic tip" -- Premium bullets in defensive loads for handgun are similarly marketed . . . "hydro-shok" "black talon" . . .

Shopping and asking questions helps sort out the hype from the ballistics.

[This message has been edited by Genghis (edited 02-06-2002).]

<harkm>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
"Premium" bullets are those which cost twice as much for half as many!

I kind of thought the same thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mbundy,
Just as BMW's are considered Premium cars there are standard and premium bullets.

Generally speaking, a preium bullet is one where steps have been taken to insure the core does not seperate from the jacket. This is done by chemically bonding the core and jacket so they are inseperable, using a partition (go to Nosler bullets site)or using a physical "lock" in the jacket to retain the core (Grand Slam). This ensure deep penetration.

Bonded bullets are Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A-frame, to mention the most common.

Premium bullets are quite a bit more expensive then "standards", but performance is generally considered far more reliable.

I think premiums are most needed in high velocity magnums - may or may not be wrthwhile in standard calibers, that seems to be a personal choice. Gotta get to work, hope this helps!

<Reloader66>
posted
The term, Premium Bullet, refers to the quality of said bullet, be it for hunitng or target shooting. All Benchrest shooters use premium quality made bullets to produce their tiny groups.
In the hunitng venue not one single premium bullet now on the market can prove they are any better at taking game than any of the less expensive bullets sold.
Premium bullets are, for the most part, more costly than the standard variety not designated premium. Some premium bullet users believe they will perform better than the plain old regular bullet. Kinda like premium gas and regular gas. Both will work and you can't tell weather you have regular or high test in the tank when the engine is running unless your told.
There are just as many botched shots and wounded game animals with premium bullets as the good old regular bullets. Example: This year, My hunitng friend shot his Elk at 440 yards with a premium bullet from his 300 Weatherby Magnum six times before the Bull fell. Evey one of those premium bullets failed to expand on impact. Every entry hole and exit hole were the same diameter as the .308 bullet. Had he not hit any vital organs the Bull would have gotten away.
The only venue this old reloading target shooter and hunter finds the need for a premium bullet is while target shooting. None of my game animals were ever shot with a premium bullet in all my 50 years of hunting. I will admit bullets are made better today than in days gone by. In my view the word premium printed to the box of bullets permits them to charge me a premium price for fewer bullets in a box.
Basic bullet construction are still of a lead core and copper jacket by neccesity. That design permits the near perfect function of that bullet in a center fire cartridge. How well it works and shoots depends on the shooter and his delivery system. The only difference in any bullets are jacket thickness and how out around they are or are not. To believe one is vastly superior to another in it's construction is lunacy.
The rifle that delivers the bullet is the key to how well that bullet will perform. Like a raceing engine compared to an off the show room floor stock production automobile engine. Put regular or premium fuel in both and the racing engine will always outperform the stock engine everytime. The same applies to the bullets we fire in our rifles, regular or premium.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbundy:
I've been doing alot of looking and reading about 'premium' bullets available to the reloader. I find myself doing alot of wondering about what a premium bullets really is! There are alot of terms one sees thrown around in discussions like this. Terms such as 'welded core', 'solid shank', 'controlled expansion', 'solids', etc. Some of these terms are self explanatory, others seem to be jargon. Can someone explain the different bullet technologies in use today, their pros/cons, etc?

Michael

Permium Bullets are the ones that shoot the consistently small groups and provide the ONE SHOT KILLS(we all try to make) in your gun!!

Posts: 2356 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Hey M,

You wanna really get cornfused? Now we don't just have "premium" bullets, but we have "super premiums". "Premium" designation refers to controlled expansion and deep penetration characteristics: Grand Slams, Partitions, etc. "Super Premiums" are so well built that they almost meet the requirements for military use under the Geneva Convention, and include Swift A-Frames, Barns X, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Super premiums are best suited for thick-skinned game like buffalo, Brown Bears, T-60 tanks and hardened bunkers.

Hope this completely clears up the issue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader66,
Excellent post!!!!! I share many of your feelings.

GAHUNTER - I'm STILL laughing..great post.

There is very much a feeling on this forum, that you should use premium bullets, least expensive part of a hunt, etc, etc.
And in Magnums, I agree with this line of thought. But the thinking here, even with standard calibers, is that "standard" bullets are so UN-premium, and UN-reliable, that IF you use them, you are likely to have a failure. In my experience, that hasn't been the case at all.

Reloader66 - what brand of "premiums" was your friend using??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Premium bullets cost more because more time is spent making sure that they meet the specification laid down by the manufacturer. There is not a manufacturing process on the face of the planet that will turn out a perfect product every time and some manufacturers will randomly check a sample from a production batch. Some manufacturers will check every 1000th, 100th or every 10th unit made. Some will measure every unit made and some measure every unit made, a couple of different ways to ensure specifications are met. Some manufacturers set specifications so loose that all of the production is passed and some set standards so tight that checking every bullet results in a percentage that is scrapped. All this influences the price charged and the reliability of the product when the chips are down. You pays your money...........

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
Extra QA is but one of the possible reasons for a higher price tag on "premium" bullets. Another may well be volume. The smaller manufacturer makes so few units compared to the large manufacturers that he must charge more to make a profit. And, of course, profit is where its at. So the small timer spends his money on advertising. Making grandidose claims and publishing "data" that is, to say the least, very optimistic. Knowing that he is selling into a marketplace where much of the data is truly subjective and in many cases the only real difference is price. Finally, he knows he is selling into a market that has been brainwashed into believing "it cost more, ergo, it must be better."

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme,
Not always so. I just had a look at the Huntingtons site and there are a whole bunch of makes of bullets that cost considerably more than ours. (That was a pleasant surprise.) I was even more surprised to see that the most expensive bullets are actually a high volume bullets from large suppliers. Some are more than twice the price of ours. I have never liked the idea of "charging what the market will bear". I trust you are not including me in the "optimistic data" crowd

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr G, I was not singling out any ONE in the post. I have never used your bullets and so, with no first hand information, would not begin to make an assessment. My point, which I whine about frequently, is that "new and improved" ain't always so; and price is not always the best yardstick when one is shopping for quality.

<bearlake>
posted
I think Leupold is a great example of what is being said about price being the "yardstick" for quality.