Find
Notify
Tools

Midway's sales recently?
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
I was just wondering how Midway's sales are holding up since they started charging people for shipping. Has been a while now, and they are still in business as evidenced by their catalogs which regularly come to my door. Anybody have any inside info?

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Can't offer any answer as to their recent sales. I used to do more business with them when shipping was included in the price. Just last week I placed my first order with them since the change, (some bullets). The prices on standard items is about the same as a local Bass Pro Shop, but Midway had in stock some bullets that the local places don't keep on hand. I also called their toll free number recently and queried them about having 458 Lott or 450 Dakota brass in stock in order to help decide on which of these I'm going to base a rifle on. (Lott no, Dakota yes).

So perhaps their niche will be having stuff readily available that you can't find at local retail stores. For that I guess we can expect to pay a bit more.

P.S. The order I placed was delivered in about a week.

[This message has been edited by Matt Norman (edited 10-20-2001).]

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done as much with Midway as before, and I think that in the final analysis, I am paying less now than when shipping was included.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
It just kind of tore me to lose the conveninece, but it did get me looking at other vendors, and Sinclar's stood out as an outfit that is more geared to the types of shooting I want to do anyway.

You know, a few months after the shipping fiasco and the now-famous (paraphrased) "I am losing a million dollars a year" letter, this guy seems to still have the funds to go on Safari in Africa, with an antique firearm no less.

Not that I begrudge the successful anything, they have earned it in most cases but if I (or my business) was losing a million bucks a year, I would be pinching pennies whereever I could.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I used to order between 500-1000 dollars per year from Midway. Since they changed their pricing I have found better deals at Natchez and Widener's, that is where my business has gone. Also I can get powder and primers from these companies which Midway does not sell. The other thing I noticed was little or no decrease in the price of Sierra matchking bullets at Midway with the policy change. What can I say, I go where I get the most bang for my buck. Long live capitalism!! MM

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I've never been a big Midway customer. It's not that I disliked them for any reason, I just always was more than happy with Sinclair and/or Graf & Sons.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to do $100 a month with Midway but in the last 3-4 yrs I've started using Graf and/or Wiedner's--Natchez sometimes. Midway's web page drives me nuts trying to order on it. Graf's usually has stuff a little cheaper and the shipping doesn't make the sifference. The people at Graf's are usually very helpful, I was ordering 9.3x62 brass and the lady pointed me to Lapua brass on sale instead of Norma.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My concern is their stated policy that items
not-in-stock will be shipped later AND with
shipping charges added to that, besides
the original shipping charges. I haven't
dared to ask if both shipments would have
the "small order fee" added! the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaMarine:
The other thing I noticed was little or no decrease in the price of Sierra matchking bullets at Midway with the policy change. What can I say, I go where I get the most bang for my buck. Long live capitalism!! MM

Yes, I noticed the same thing ?!?! Last Mathkings came from Lock, Stock & Barrel. This was the first time i have EVER seen one of the catalog houses have them on sale.

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<pakrattusnongratus>
posted
Midway has always given me faster service than Graf's. I have had comparable orders take four days longer from Graf's. On the other hand as we pay shipping from both places I have to say Graf's generally has lower prices. I can select which .308 165 gr bullet I want for plinking on the basis of price.

------------------
Member NRA, Life NMLRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never have ordered from Midway becuase they charged shipping. They wouldn't let me go down the street and pick it up! So I order from Graf and wonder why it takes a week to get to Columbia from Mexico. Its only a forty-five minute drive. The shipping is cheaper than the gas, so I just make an order and wait.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
I just ordered Barnes Bullets from http://www.dnrsports.net/merchant2/merchant.mv
and received fast service and low prices. I called and ordered on the phone as navigating any of these "order on line websites" is just too damn confusing for this ol two dollar dirt logger.-------Chainsaw

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I just ordered 500 416 Rem Mag cases from Midway for $166 versus $225 at Grafs and shipping is less than $10. Grafs also charges $4.75 "Handling and Insurance" so shipping charges alone hardly rate as a consideration. Not to bash Grafs (I ordered a lot of bullets from them at the same time)it just pays to shop around.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
My 2 cents. The midway sale items OK. Everything else can be had cheaper elsewhere. check Lock Stock & Barrel prices.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeM:
Hello,
I was just wondering how Midway's sales are holding up since they started charging people for shipping. Has been a while now, and they are still in business as evidenced by their catalogs which regularly come to my door. Anybody have any inside info?

<Hoghead>
posted
I don't mind paying shipping, but the deal about the small order fee really frosted my ba**s! I haven't bought a cents worth of merchandise from them since and never will! Their explanation about the "small order fee" (i.e "I'm losing a million $ a year") just didn't cut it. Them telling me that was like them them telling me it was raining while they were pissing on my boots. I shop else where now.

<wjb3>
posted
Agree: shipping charges were inevitible, but that small order charge chaps my hide.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I live far enough away from Midway, that the change in shipping charge policy did not affect me anyway. I would still have to pay the top amount, so what the hell? As far as the $4.00 small order charge? No problem. I just make sure my order is big enough to get away from that.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
I shop around and for my $, Midsouth has the best prices. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy wholesale from Huntingtons, and I also like Lock Stock and Barrel.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote