Find
Notify
Tools

Safety Glasses vs. Eye Glasses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

I'm getting set up and just about ready to start reloading but have a question for those who reload and wear eye glasses. Is there a type of safety glasses, or perhaps goggles that you wear over your eye glasses while reloading. I'm not sure how much protection the eye glasses by themselves would provide, although I'm guilty of shooting at the range wearing only them.

Thanks,

YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Different types of eyeglass lenses offer just as much ballistic protection from the frontal zone as many types of safety glasses. Polycarbonate lenses aren't all that expensive for your eyeglasses and are very tough though they don't work well in higher corrections.
Check with your eyeglass lens maker for advice.
Also some types of shooting glasses can be fitter with RX inserts (Wiley-X) for example. If your worried about side protection check them out.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most common prescription eye glasses lens are made of "CR32" which is also the most safety glasses lens.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
geekay is right.. and safety glasses have side shields.. which you can buy at wallyworld and use on your glasses.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39628 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yankee-Bill:
Hi folks,

I'm getting set up and just about ready to start reloading but have a question for those who reload and wear eye glasses. Is there a type of safety glasses, or perhaps goggles that you wear over your eye glasses while reloading. I'm not sure how much protection the eye glasses by themselves would provide, although I'm guilty of shooting at the range wearing only them.

Thanks,

YB

The safety goggles that fit over eyeglasses are quite bulky. For reloading purposes there just isn't anything gonna come at you with enough force to shatter eyeglasses.

Prescription eyeglasses can be made as safety glasses. They have MUCH heavier frames than most of what you see in the standard optomitrist's rack of frames. The glass may or may not be the same, but the frames are a damn sure major difference.

For shooting I would invest in good safety eyeglasses, for reloading I wouldn't be concerned.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the info guys.

In ref. to those side shields that Wallyworld carries, are they available in the prescription eye glasses center, or another department.

Thanks,

YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yankee

Do what I did. Find an optomertrist/doctor who is also a shooter and handloader and have him do all your exams and eyeglasses work. He will know and understand what you need better than anyone else. JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote